Help! Coil tap wiring....

What's Hot
Bought an Epi SG Pro. The wiring had been reversed (treble in bass position and visa verse). Decided to completely rewire properly. I’ve done that and followed a Seymour Duncan diagram. It now works as it should (eg SG Std  wiring), but the coil taps don’t work!? Totally confused why that would be the case.

NB - The taps on each volume. 

Eek - help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27465
    edited January 2020
     The colour-coding on the SD wiring diagrams assume that you're using SD pickups.  Different brands use different coloured wiring, and - just to make it even more fun - different purposes for same colour wirings.

If you've got a multimeter to hand, you should be able to test the function of the wires in the Epi's p'ups to work out what each is doing, and then translate that onto the SD diagrams ...

[edit] I *believe* that Epi p'ups use the Gibson colour coding - as below.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27465

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    edited January 2020
    You mean coil splits . [/pedant]

If Funkfingers is correct and you've used Duncan wiring colours with Gibson-wired pickups, what you've got by connecting the red and white wires together is shorting the north coil completely. The sound you're getting in the 'humbucker' setting will be just the south coil, and all the coil split switch will do is connect the shorted north coil to ground, or not, so it will make little or no difference to the sound.

By an odd coincidence, this may be very interesting to @Amigo since we have been discussing exactly whether this would make any difference or not in another thread... it won't fix your problem (yet) but it would be interesting to know whether you can hear any difference at all between the sounds - try it on a clean sound with the amp up fairly loud and see if you hear any change when you operate the switch. (I know this isn't quite what we're trying to test there either, but it might give a clue.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Parker said:
    Bought an Epi SG Pro. The wiring had been reversed (treble in bass position and visa verse). 
    This is almost certainly evidence of a bungled selector switch replacement job by a previous owner. Your original problem could have been solved by swapping the two signal input conductor wires at the selector switch.

If the original selector switch is/was one of the enclosed in a metal box types, something as simple as loosening the threaded fastener and allowing the switch to rotate through one hundred and eighty degrees could produce the "reverse" wiring illusion.

Given the natural tones of an SG with P.A.F.-ish humbuckers, coil splits should be unnecessary. 

ICBM said:
    If Funkfingers is correct
    Whaddya mean, if? ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Thanks everyone. Helpful as ever (and feel stupid that I forgot the #1 rule with pick up wiring. I got there in the end, but it wasn’t easy. There was only limited wire left which made it a pig to cleanly solder. 

I did test it for you guys before I rectified it. There was perhaps a very very negligible difference, but it was so subtle, you wouldn’t notice. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Parker said:

I did test it for you guys before I rectified it. There was perhaps a very very negligible difference, but it was so subtle, you wouldn’t notice. 
    Thanks - that’s what I expected. That’s ‘stage 1’ of the test - you’ve eliminated the capacitance of the second coil being next to the first one as a possible cause of any difference. Stage 2 is to find out whether that coil being shorted or not makes a difference.

Parker said:
    feel stupid that I forgot the #1 rule with pick up wiring. I got there in the end
    If only the different pickup manufacturers hadn’t thought it was a great idea to explore all 24 possible variations of four colour codes, it would be much less of a faff...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein