Mods for the Boss DS-1?

What's Hot

I recently bought a faulty DS-1 off of ebay and have successfully repaired it.

There seems to be a plethora of mods on the web but are any of them actually worth while or is it best to keep t stock

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Replace the LED with a bright orange one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    ICBM said:
    Replace the LED with a bright orange one :).
    ok did that

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    See! Sounds much better now :).

I found a particularly nice yellow/gold one for my 40th Anniversary, which goes perfectly with the lettering.

That's quite an aggressive tone you have dialed in ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    The LED clipping (smoother) and diode lift (much louder and cleaner) mods are quite nice. The chip swap is good but very fiddly - I wrecked a perfectly good pedal trying the Allums version of this mod.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Try removing C8.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got one that someone added a very bright blue LED too before me, I’ve never actually checked to see if they made any other mods though!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited January 2020
    It baffles me that Boss still insist on using LEDs that you can't really see.
    randella said:

its vintage?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited January 2020
    phil_b said:
    randella said:

its vintage?
    So's Blackpool but you can still see it at night. :)

well I have been using this pedal for a few weeks but one thing is really bugging me.

when I turn the pedal off it still seems to have quite an affect on tone. ie the clean tone is very muddied to get back to my amps proper clean tone I have to remove the pedal completely and plug directly into the amp.

anyone else had the same experience?

phil_b said:

well I have been using this pedal for a few weeks but one thing is really bugging me.

when I turn the pedal off it still seems to have quite an affect on tone. ie the clean tone is very muddied to get back to my amps proper clean tone I have to remove the pedal completely and plug directly into the amp.

anyone else had the same experience?

That sounds like something is wrong/has been buggered about with in the bypass path.

The bypass on a Boss pedal is buffered and doesn’t sound muddy, although it does drop the signal level a tiny bit - usually unnoticeable with only one in line.