Distance selling - Collection of products to be returned

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 604
edited January 2020 in Off Topic
Hi All,

Google isn't helping too much at the moment, lots of noise.

Friend ordered a laptop online, stated 8GB but they delivered a 4GB. Twice on the 'phone they've said we'll be in touch and organise an upgrade. He is cheesed off and last time said a refund please. This is unopened.

I know distance selling regs but what about the collection (he has not entered a contract to accept the cost of return). Can he give them 4 days to organise collection of the goods or he will dispose of the product himself? He just wants to get the thing out of his hall.

Cheers folks and thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•  Can he give them 4 days to organise collection of the goods or he will dispose of the product himself? ”

You mean keep it for free?
  • notanon said:
    Hi All,

Google isn't helping too much at the moment, lots of noise.

Friend ordered a laptop online, stated 8GB but they delivered a 4GB. Twice on the 'phone they've said we'll be in touch and organise an upgrade. He is cheesed off and last time said a refund please. This is unopened.

I know distance selling regs but what about the collection (he has not entered a contract to accept the cost of return). Can he give them 4 days to organise collection of the goods or he will dispose of the product himself? He just wants to get the thing out of his hall.

Cheers folks and thanks in advance.
    Yes, they should collect it or pay for return as it is a not-as-described case, not a DSR return.

No, he cannot give them an arbitrary timescale, and 4 days is absolutely ridiculous should one even be agreed upon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    “ Can he give them 4 days to organise collection of the goods or he will dispose of the product himself? ”

You mean keep it for free?
    If they don't collect then yes. 
    Yes, they should collect it or pay for return as it is a not-as-described case, not a DSR return.

No, he cannot give them an arbitrary timescale, and 4 days is absolutely ridiculous should one even be agreed upon.
    Agreed and I can find lots of info on DSR or consumer rights and returns but not specific timescales for collection. He has been told twice by 'phone they will get back to him and no reply to 2 emails.

In the days of same day delivery I don't think 4 days to collect is absolutely ridiculous. Second class post is expected to be delivered within 2 to 3 days. But that was just an arbitrary figure. So can you say 1 week or 1 month?

He doesn't have a refund problem as "You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They don’t have to provide a reason."

I'm sure I've heard of cases where a parcel has been awaiting collection for months as a return but you can't dispose of it as it doesn't belong to you.
    He saw 4GB on the box and model does not match the one he bought so it is unopened. He is super cheesed off as he goes away soon and ordered the laptop in good time for the journey.

He does want to give them grief and wants the return done and refunded - without faff.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    Which company is it? Sometimes an email to the CEO can magically speed things up. 
    drofluf said:
    Which company is it? Sometimes an email to the CEO can magically speed things up. 
    He bought it on the Lenovo web site. Yep, good shout. I've had loads of quick movement with Twitter too.