Martins Brand New Body Shape!

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Acoustics tFB Trader
Go to 17mins in if you want to see the new shape.. Interesting stuff with that neck joint.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    I actually really like it. 

Thought the treble notes sounded really weak though but since they were portable wireless mics, I can give them the benefit of the doubt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I love that, and I want one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Wow. My initial thought was that the body shape is a Breedlove copy, but there’s so much more to it than that.

I have to say I don’t like the pickguard, it’s a slightly lumpy shape - but I love everything else about the design. The sound isn’t very inspiring there, but it’s impossible to tell in that sort of environment and so crudely mic’ed.

The biggest shock is the price - I was expecting double that. I’m very keen to try one when they get over here.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No overly keen on the cutaway shape but that neck join looks pretty amazing. Great price too.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • This is bad news as I’am trying to de-gas.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    This is bad news as I’am trying to de-gas.
    There will be more gas for this guitar than in Russia :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Seems like a great set of ideas - if it sounds even halfway good they will sell gazillions 
    Red ones are better. 

• Sounds good in this video.

Spoon Phillips likes it, and that guy is near enough an encyclopedia for all things Martin.  It got best in show at NAMM 2020.  Seems Martin have a winner on their hands.

Aside from the funky shape, it's the first bolt on/shim neck joint they've done.  I'd love to see it for other guitars, eg an 00.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Would prefer it with a 1 11/16" nut width.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Maybe its just me but i dont like the new shape. it looks awkward.
    crunchman said:
    Damn... 1-3/4" is a deal breaker for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Damn... 1-3/4" is a deal breaker for me.
    “Suits me sir “,funny enough I can switch between nut widths without to much problems.I think maybe it’s all in head.
    rustneversleeps said:

“Suits me sir “,funny enough I can switch between nut widths without to much problems.I think maybe it’s all in head.
    [/condescension] :)

No it isn't. It may be all in the hands though... ;)

I had an OM-21 for several years, which was the best-sounding non-dreadnought guitar I've ever owned - but I couldn't get on with the neck width or the string spacing. So I won't be buying one of these unless they do it with a 1-11/16" neck.

If anything I prefer 1-5/8" for electrics.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    WIN.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    rustneversleeps said:

[/condescension]

No it isn't. It may be all in the hands though...

I had an OM-21 for several years, which was the best-sounding non-dreadnought guitar I've ever owned - but I couldn't get on with the neck width or the string spacing. So I won't be buying one of these unless they do it with a 1-11/16" neck.

If anything I prefer 1-5/8" for electrics.

Martin seem to be pushing a 1 3/4 nut width, 2 5/32" string spacing at the saddle, slim taper neck on as many models as possible.

IMO, it's a weird spec as it's not the 1 11/16", 2 1/8" for flat picking or 1 3/4" 2 5/16" for fingerpicking.  IMO, 1 3/4 nut width, 2 5/32" it's the worst of both worlds.

• elkayelkay Frets: 77
    Milk said:
    Maybe its just me but i dont like the new shape. it looks awkward.

I thought that too. Looks so wrong on an acoustic. On balance. I think I still prefer the GPC-13e, which I suppose is the closest equivalent.
  • Wish Danish Pete would shut up

Acoustics with bolt on necks? F^ck off 2020

and it sounds like a Taylor
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I think Alister Atkin uses a bolt on neck these days.  They sound stunning so I'm not against them in principle.

The big issue on these for me is the 1 3/4" nut width.  Not sure I'm over keen on the offset body either.  I'd need to see if it would sit on a guitar stand nicely.

It's potentially a nice idea, but I think I'll give it a miss.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

What's wrong with bolt on acoustic necks? Easier to build, easier to repair (should it be necessary), just as 'strong' and sound as good as a dovetail.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    It sounds Taylor it looks very Taylor In design. Hats off to them for doing something different. I see Gibson’s effort is yet more vintage inspired J45s. This time from the 50s. Yawn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom