A Katana too far - NAMM Artist Mk 2

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
To the surprise of nobody, Boss launched a Mk 2 version of the Katana Artist at NAMM.

At least puts the original down in price a bit, but for me, the new one selling at £569 might struggle for a market.

Anyone a bit tempted?

I have to admit to curiousity about how much better they actually sound than a regular Katana.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6775
    edited January 2020
    What’s the difference vs standard ? Just a different speaker and cabinet?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy a point to point wired amp it will last a lifetime, go solid state and mk 2 will be out in ,6 months
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    mrkb said:
    What’s the difference vs standard ? Just a different speaker and cabinet?
    Basically, yes, and a couple more controls in the new version which you get in the software on all of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Id be keen to try an Artist. Ive been impressed with my Katana Head and its “good enough” as my only amp, but I scratch my head a bit when people compare it to a valve amp. Maybe the artist is another step closer?
    edited January 2020
    Buy a point to point wired amp it will last a lifetime, go solid state and mk 2 will be out in ,6 months
    Well, that's advancement in tech you may or may not need vs something that's deliberately low tech.

It's not quite apples and apples.  I'm sure some people have replaced mk1 kats with the same mk2, but not many.
  • ive had my 100 mark 1 for nearly three years and gigged it most weeks, very pleased with it. would i upgrade to a mark 2? no, definitely not. would i buy a mark 2 if i needed a replacement? possibly but at that price point i would seriously look at other stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited January 2020
    I think the market for all amps has been reducing due over more recent years to a shift to lighter and more versatile mfx units. I wonder how many players here have moved from amps to an mfx unit either with headphones for home use or for gigging through the PA? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • According to a few people in the Katana group I'm in on Facebook the Artist does sound quite a lot better... I'm happy with my 50 so I haven't listened to any demos or anything though, so I can't confirm or deny that 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

According to a few people in the Katana group I'm in on Facebook the Artist does sound quite a lot better... I'm happy with my 50 so I haven't listened to any demos or anything though, so I can't confirm or deny that 
    In sure it's a bit better but you could very nearly by three kat 50s for an artist, that's a much higher price point.
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    FYI one big difference is it class A/B power section
    Daiganzen said:
    I thought that was all Katanas?
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    Daiganzen said:

Nope The standard katana is Class D the Artist is A/B
    Daiganzen said:
    Daiganzen said:

I don't disbelieve you, but every other source says they all have A/B ...

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Buy a point to point wired amp it will last a lifetime, go solid state and mk 2 will be out in ,6 months
    You say that, but whilst the amp might last a lifetime, it seems many owners love for it doesn't and they get moved on for something else all the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    My issue with these and the Blues Cubes is the fact that are not designed to be fixed if they do fail (see old threads re issues getting parts or schematics from Boss/Roland)
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    My issue with these and the Blues Cubes is the fact that are not designed to be fixed if they do fail (see old threads re issues getting parts or schematics from Boss/Roland)

I believe that thread had a happy ending with Roland offering a fix?

Sad reality is, the rate of failure is so low and the amps so cheap, that they just aren't worth repairing most of the time, from the manufacturer's POV.  I suspect warranty "repairs" usually mean shipping a reconditioned job no questions asked.

There is a staggering premium for truly hand-wired absolutely-repairable amps, but if that's what you want you wouldn't have a Katana on your list anyway.

Certainly easier to come to terms with if compared more with other modern cheap electronics as opposed to far more expensive guitar amps.

YMMV of course.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397

Daiganzen said:
    Daiganzen said:

The normal one uses a TDA class A\B chip ..... basically a power amp on a chip 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

Daiganzen said:
    Daiganzen said:

...so is it a different design on the artist, a discrete module?

The artist has never sold in anything close to the volumes of it's little brothers, and part of the reason is it is vastly more expensive and only a little bit better.

If it is also more robust, or it's 100w is a louder or more valve-like 100w, than the regular Kat 100, that is an interesting selling point.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Danny1969 said:

Daiganzen said:
    Daiganzen said:

The artist has never sold in anything close to the volumes of it's little brothers, and part of the reason is it is vastly more expensive and only a little bit better.

If it is also more robust, or it's 100w is a louder or more valve-like 100w, than the regular Kat 100, that is an interesting selling point.
    For that matter does anybody know whether the speakers are the same?

Given the nature of the units which generally go into budget combos, and the difference that swapping in a nice well chosen (pair of) not-bottom-of-the-range Celestion(s), Emininence(s), or whatever can make to some amps this seems like an obvious differentiator - it’s also something I keep meaning to try with my regular common or garden 2x12 Katana MK1 (even just tweaking the wiring harness so I can try plugging it into my Marshall 1936 cab should give an indication whether it’s being “held back” by the stock speakers) but have never quite got round to...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    Danny1969 said:

Daiganzen said:
    Daiganzen said:

For that matter does anybody know whether the speakers are the same?

Given the nature of the units which generally go into budget combos, and the difference that swapping in a nice well chosen (pair of) not-bottom-of-the-range Celestion(s), Emininence(s), or whatever can make to some amps this seems like an obvious differentiator - it’s also something I keep meaning to try with my regular common or garden 2x12 Katana MK1 (even just tweaking the wiring harness so I can try plugging it into my Marshall 1936 cab should give an indication whether it’s being “held back” by the stock speakers) but have never quite got round to...

That part is well known - the artist is fitted with a posh "Waza Craft" speaker - which explains it's superior sound overall.

Of course, one could buy the head and pair it with whatever cab you want, so YMMV.