An Image for Humble Pie fans out there..

What's Hot
Whilst cataloging all my images this morning I found this composite picture of all the photographs used for the album cover of Humble Pie's Live 1971 classic album 'Performance'.

The pictures were originally printed across the centre-gatefold and back of the album so I stitched those covers together and corrected for crease-lines in the original scans. I also corrected the included pictures of the band playing live in Hyde Park back in July 1971 which were mirror images in the original composition.

Here it is in all its fabulous glory for anyone who's remotely interested.

For people not familier with the band the images show a very young Peter Frampton with his famous 3 pickup 54 Les Paul Custom, Steve Marriott sporting in most pictures a Dwight (Epiphone) Coronet, Greg Ridley on Bass and Jerry Shirley on drums.

As a lad of 12 years old back in early 72, opening up this album and seeing these pictures was one of the most exciting times of my life.. and when I put the album on the record player and heard "4 Day Creep" .. holy shyte..that was a life changing experience.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nice one @equalsql :D 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Nice job. What a fabulous band they were too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine will be on the turntable later, not played it in yonks.  Thanks for the nudge.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited January 2020
    And here's a reminder of '4 Day Creep' the opening track on the album.
    Marriott's stinging Coronet in your right ear, Frampton's thick LP in your left.
    Magical 'balls to the wall' stuff.

Oh,, and turn up REALLY LOUD! :grin: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Nice work, and a great album.  I probably didn't hear it until about 1980, when it seemed like something really old (our perception of time is different when we're young...). 

I was impressed enough to buy another Humble Pie album, Eat It, which I thought was another double live - I think it turned out to be only partially live - but I never got into that one at all.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Cool! I lost my copy of that album. Someone probably didn't return it during my college years. Not seen those pix for decades.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited January 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    Nice work, and a great album.  I probably didn't hear it until about 1980, when it seemed like something really old (our perception of time is different when we're young...). 

I was impressed enough to buy another Humble Pie album, Eat It, which I thought was another double live - I think it turned out to be only partially live - but I never got into that one at all.
     'Performance' was their only album that worked for me. Their studio albums, apart from 'Rock On' never showed just what a powerful band they were and although Clem Clempson was a fine guitarist he was never ever close to Frampton. I remember buying 'Thunderbox' back in the mid 70's and apart from the title track I was unimpressed.

IMHO though 'Performance' is stil the greatest live rock album ever committed to vinyl.
  • My fave live album, was listening to it via headphones just a few days back, whilst sunning my bod in Tenerife.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 945
    Love that album.

A mate put it on late one Friday night. I just happened to have my amp set up iin his living room.

I just fell in love with 4 day creep so we put it on repeat and I jammed to it for about 2 hours.

I was an instant humble pie fan.