Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm trying the LCHF (Keto) diet

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
For two weeks starting today.  I still intend to eventually go veggie but I need to shift weight and get my energy back first.  I'm following this website guide: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I shall update as I go.  I'm just following the meal plans verbatim.  Tonight's dinner (and tomorrow's lunch is some Italian creamy chicken cheesy thing with cabbage fried in butter.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited January 2020
    I'm still on it after two years. It work so incredibly well for me. 

Personally I wouldn't bother for two week, you'll barely get into Ketosis. If you were to give it six weeks you'll get a better feel for it and the cravings for pasta / bread / rice will go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7818
    Fuengi said:
    I'm still on it after two years. It work so incredibly well for me. 

Personally I wouldn't bother for two week, you'll barely get into Ketosis. If you were to give it six weeks you'll get a better feel for it and the cravings for pasta / bread / rice will go. 
    Agreed. 
  • Two weeks isn't enough to test out any lifestyle changes tbh.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited January 2020
    Emp_Fab said:
    I still intend to eventually go veggie but I need to shift weight and get my energy back first.  I'm following this website guide: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I had a friend with T1 diabetes who used that website to guide her keto and get her blood glucose back into normal range -- I was really impressed how effective it was. 
    And you can be veg*n and keto too cos I've done that.
    Good luck Emp. 

• MattWMattW Frets: 80
    I’ve done keto diets before and the weight loss has been impressively swift and dramatic but only marginally more so than the weight gain when I’ve stopped. 

What really killed it for me every time was booze. Although jack diet cokes are zero carb I felt prematurely hammered and decidedly unwell after a few and so basically decided I’d rather be fat than sober. 

Good luck with the diet. 
    MattW said:
    I’ve done keto diets before and the weight loss has been impressively swift and dramatic but only marginally more so than the weight gain when I’ve stopped. 

What really killed it for me every time was booze. Although jack diet cokes are zero carb I felt prematurely hammered and decidedly unwell after a few and so basically decided I’d rather be fat than sober. 

Good luck with the diet. 
    Drink wine, beer occasionally. Exercise often and you get back into Keto pretty quickly. 

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 287
    Two weeks isn't enough to test out any lifestyle changes tbh.
    I agree. If you want to lose wait over the long term, it requires changing your lifestyle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    As a diabetic ketosis can be a pathway to ketoacidosis... very bad!!!! It can do that if you don’t have diabetes as well...

you want to lose weight it’s simple...

get off your arse, do some exercise and burn more calories than you take in!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    As a diabetic ketosis can be a pathway to ketoacidosis... very bad!!!! It can do that if you don’t have diabetes as well...

That's actually not it at all. You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet, and the calories in / calories out thing has long been put to bed as incorrect. 

I think the difficulty in dietary advice is that it is not a one size fits all. Some people thrive on a particular diet, others don't, you need to find what works for you and listen to your body. It's a cliche but it's true. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    the calories in / calories out thing has long been put to bed as incorrect. 
    Has it??

Bye!

Fuengi said:
    Has it??
    Yep. 

I'll link in some papers if you're genuinely interested, but there have been several studies that show not all calories are equal. The body is not a closed system so different types of nutrition content react differently with the body. 

You can't eat the same calories of jelly babies and kale and expect the same results. 
  • Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:
    Has it??
    Yep. 

I'll link in some papers if you're genuinely interested, but there have been several studies that show not all calories are equal. The body is not a closed system so different types of nutrition content react differently with the body. 

You can't eat the same calories of jelly babies and kale and expect the same results. 
    Yep, I am genuinely interested, this is something I'm fighting myself. Cheers!

Bye!

Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:
    Has it??
    Yep. 

Yep, I am genuinely interested, this is something I'm fighting myself. Cheers!

I'll look some links up and post them to you in a DM. I've become slightly obsessed with nutritional guidelines, it's a deep, fascinating and controversial subject but one well worth looking into IMO.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    The most successful thing I've ever tried was not eating after 2pm. Basically I found I can stuff myself silly with all kinds of crap from waking to to 2pm and as long as I didn't eat after that I lost weight. And that's despite being a heavy beer drinker. 

At the mo I've been on slimming world diet for 3 weeks cos the missus wanted to lose a few pounds. She lost those pounds within 3 weeks but I'm exactly the same weight I was when I started despite cutting out pork pies, crisp, pizza, kentuckys, cheese cakes and biscuits. 

So I think @Fuengi is right ... it's not about calories in and burning off, it's more what suits the person and what has the most effect for them diet wise 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Fuengi said:
    Has it??
    I think the idea is that while the laws of thermodynamics are not negotiable, both the absorption of the calories you ingest and the baseline metabolism are affected by the hormonal balance which itself depends on diet.
    I’m not a doctor nor a nutritionist though so someone correct me if this is innacurate.
    lysander said:
    Fuengi said:
    Has it??
    I think the idea is that while the laws of thermodynamics are not negotiable, both the absorption of the calories you ingest and the baseline metabolism are affected by the hormonal balance which itself depends on diet.
    I’m not a doctor nor a nutritionist though so someone correct me if this is innacurate.

I think that's right. For example, insulin is driven by the type of calories ingested but not by the quantity of calories per se. As we know, Insulin has fairly dramatic effects on the body if too low or high.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited January 2020
    Fuengi said:
    poopot said:

That's actually not it at all. You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet, and the calories in / calories out thing has long been put to bed as incorrect. 

I think the difficulty in dietary advice is that it is not a one size fits all. Some people thrive on a particular diet, others don't, you need to find what works for you and listen to your body. It's a cliche but it's true. 

Ok... however, taking in less calories than I burnt took me from that to that in five years!

Forgive the get up it was for a nye party!... and yes, I was sponsored by sugar puffs in the first one!...

healthy food and exercise = weight loss

or it did for me anyway!... 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Fuengi said:
    poopot said:

Ok... however, taking in less calories than I burnt took me from that to that in five years!

Forgive the get up it was for a nye party!... and yes, I was sponsored by sugar puffs in the first one!...

healthy food and exercise = weight loss

or it did for me anyway!... 

Yes, sorry I contradicted myself while poo-pooing @poopot ! I'm sure that works for some people too and well done.

I have recently been reading up on the hypothesis that nutrition shapes your body and exercise shapes your physique. It's pretty convincing. 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    I know.  I'm only giving it a try out for two weeks to see if there's anything I really can't tolerate with it.  If nothing crops up, I'll be on it for the foreseeable future.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7098
    Emp_Fab said:
    I know.  I'm only giving it a try out for two weeks to see if there's anything I really can't tolerate with it.  If nothing crops up, I'll be on it for the foreseeable future.
    What is it that you're actually trying to achieve?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!