Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm trying the LCHF (Keto) diet

What's Hot

Comments

• Lewy said:
    I think most of these diets can work, but not for the reasons they often quote i.e. a diet plan may be based on low carbs but in reality that's not why it works - it's because fat has a high satiety so you just end up not eating as many calories because you feel fuller. If feeling fuller means you can stick to eating fewer calories - bang, it will work. But it's calorie deficit x adherence that is causing the fat loss, not carbs versus fat etc etc. 

When I need to lose weight (I'm in that mode now after having another baby and living off convenience crap and comfort snacks for over a year) I skip breakfast. I don't tend to feel hungry in the morning and that's also my busiest time of day so I don't have time to think about food. It's just skipping a meal, but now that is repackaged as Intermittent Fasting, along with a load of science with how it's better for fat loss. It's not, it's just an easy (for me) to stick to way of eating fewer calories.

I think if there are no underlying health issues like diabetes (which does change things obviously) it really doesn't need to be more complicated than that.  
    Interestingly studies show that people who don't eat breakfast in the long term are more likely to develop a weight problem ie not stay at a constant sensible weight.

When i had a 2 year period after stopping smoking i pissed around with fad diets.  In the long term none of them have the robust evidence basis that a healthy calorie sensible diet and exercise delivers.  After diets people regain weight.  It needs a healthy eating plan.

As emp hasnt responded to any of this advice i can only think hes quit or become ketoacidotic!!! Lets hope not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Jalapeno said:
    Snap said:

All this anti carb stuff is a load of rubbish too. Carbs are essential to diet, alongside fat and protein.

Yes and no, processed Carbs are fairly recent in evolutionary terms and our bodies are too good at taking the sugars from them. Our bodies are too efficient, a high(er) carb diet isn't good for people.

My Diabetes nurse-practitioner told me to eat no more than 25% of unprocessed carbs per meal (50% veg, 25% protein), and only eat carbs like wholewheat pasta, brown rice, skin-on spuds, wholemeal bread if at all possible. (Mrs J can't stand brown rice or wholewheat pasta, which ain't easy
    I am pretty sure white rice has been around for centuries...Mochi (made from white rice) dates back to 300BC-300AD.

A bowl of rice is fine, you don't see many fat Japanese.  What they don't eat much is bread or pasta.  Any rice is served normally in a bowl that fits in the palm of your hand.

What about all the noodles though Raymondo? That's like pasta no? and those dudes go loco for that shit!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited January 2020
    Lewy said:
    I think most of these diets can work, but not for the reasons they often quote i.e. a diet plan may be based on low carbs but in reality that's not why it works - it's because fat has a high satiety so you just end up not eating as many calories because you feel fuller. If feeling fuller means you can stick to eating fewer calories - bang, it will work. But it's calorie deficit x adherence that is causing the fat loss, not carbs versus fat etc etc. 

When I need to lose weight (I'm in that mode now after having another baby and living off convenience crap and comfort snacks for over a year) I skip breakfast. I don't tend to feel hungry in the morning and that's also my busiest time of day so I don't have time to think about food. It's just skipping a meal, but now that is repackaged as Intermittent Fasting, along with a load of science with how it's better for fat loss. It's not, it's just an easy (for me) to stick to way of eating fewer calories.

I think if there are no underlying health issues like diabetes (which does change things obviously) it really doesn't need to be more complicated than that.  
    Interestingly studies show that people who don't eat breakfast in the long term are more likely to develop a weight problem ie not stay at a constant sensible weight.

When i had a 2 year period after stopping smoking i pissed around with fad diets.  In the long term none of them have the robust evidence basis that a healthy calorie sensible diet and exercise delivers.  After diets people regain weight.  It needs a healthy eating plan.

As emp hasnt responded to any of this advice i can only think hes quit or become ketoacidotic!!! Lets hope not
    That is interesting. Do any of the studies conclude that there’s anything inherent about eating breakfast though, or is it down to adherence, overeating later in the day etc?

For what it’s worth, I find this guy to be a very reasoned and well researched source for matters nutritional:

https://twitter.com/MartinNutrition
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    May be of interest to those not in the thread to just post “see, it seems to me...” ripostes : https://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/research/ 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    tony99 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Snap said:

All this anti carb stuff is a load of rubbish too. Carbs are essential to diet, alongside fat and protein.

Yes and no, processed Carbs are fairly recent in evolutionary terms and our bodies are too good at taking the sugars from them. Our bodies are too efficient, a high(er) carb diet isn't good for people.

My Diabetes nurse-practitioner told me to eat no more than 25% of unprocessed carbs per meal (50% veg, 25% protein), and only eat carbs like wholewheat pasta, brown rice, skin-on spuds, wholemeal bread if at all possible. (Mrs J can't stand brown rice or wholewheat pasta, which ain't easy
    I am pretty sure white rice has been around for centuries...Mochi (made from white rice) dates back to 300BC-300AD.

A bowl of rice is fine, you don't see many fat Japanese.  What they don't eat much is bread or pasta.  Any rice is served normally in a bowl that fits in the palm of your hand.

What about all the noodles though Raymondo? That's like pasta no? and those dudes go loco for that shit!
    I actually eat very little noodles outside Japan.  In a week I have it may be once.  In Japan i would eat it daily!
  • Lewy said:
    Lewy said:

That is interesting. Do any of the studies conclude that there’s anything inherent about eating breakfast though, or is it down to adherence, overeating later in the day etc?

For what it’s worth, I find this guy to be a very reasoned and well researched source for matters nutritional:

https://twitter.com/MartinNutrition
    I think that they conclude its just a sensible approach to eating thats needed.  I guess the fact is as well it stops you grazing which i did when i tried it.  It does seem i guess that one size fits all but unless you have a really slow, efficient metabolism cals in vs cal expenditure is easy to do.
  • you don't see many fat Japanese. 
    Yes you do.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• TimmyO said:
    May be of interest to those not in the thread to just post “see, it seems to me...” ripostes : https://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/research/ 
    Follow up long term of LCHF.  Like all diets it doesnt appear to maintain healthy weight in the majority of people in the long term.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31916212

• TimmyO said:
    Follow up long term of LCHF.  Like all diets it doesnt appear to maintain healthy weight in the majority of people in the long term.

That's talking about a particular variant though - a protein-sparing one. Why the fuck you'd do that in the first place is anyone's guess.

Most variations of the LCHF diet actually emphasize protein intake from what I have seen.

Bye!

• Fundamentally, the LCHF meals offered through www.dietdoctor.com are reasonable and trustworthy plans. Their information is solid IMHO.

Bye!

TimmyO said:

That's talking about a particular variant though - a protein-sparing one. Why the fuck you'd do that in the first place is anyone's guess.

Most variations of the LCHF diet actually emphasize protein intake from what I have seen.
    This.

My daily macros are (roughly, from memory)
    150g protein
    80-90g fat
    20g carb

<takes ribeye out of fridge> 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    TimmyO said:

TimmyO said:

This.

My daily macros are (roughly, from memory)
    150g protein
    80-90g fat
    20g carb

<takes ribeye out of fridge> 
    Steak + Eggs = Fun Times :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    steak and eggs and eggs and steak, that's what you should have for breakfast
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    steak and eggs and eggs and steak, that's what you should have for breakfast
    Delicious.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eggs and trying a real.or eggs and bacon are brekkie staples yes 
    Or sometimes a ham omlette 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    Wilted spinach, roasted cherry tomatoes, and poached egg for my breakfast.  Followed by full fat Greek yoghurt and a few nuts/seeds. 
  • 1 slice of thick white Hovis bread is 22g of carbs.

At the extreme end of keto, that's 100% of your carb allowance for the day. As I just found out.

Bye!

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849

TimmyO said:

I don't worry about protein particularly, it's pretty consistent for both high and low fat diets generally from what I understand. 

The lower fat your diet, the higher carb and vice versa. 
  • Fuengi said:

TimmyO said:

I don't worry about protein particularly, it's pretty consistent for both high and low fat diets generally from what I understand. 

The lower fat your diet, the higher carb and vice versa. 
    I don't actually think that is really true for your average person. Most fatties aren't getting enough protein and are getting way too many carbs. Look at the food we all regularly consume - it's all carbs and sugars.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    edited January 2020
    Breakfast - eat it. 
    You want to manage your weight - keep stimulating your metabolism. Keep it firing. When you miss meals your body goes into storage mode - your next calorie intake is more likely to have more of it converted into fat reserves, ready for the next starvation period.

Eat three good meals a day of proper food. Don't eat refined processed stuff. Drink plenty of water, don't shy away from fats and avoid too much sugar. It's simple, as people keep saying.

This is the keystone of eating properly, all the other diet stuff is fluff and marketing.

The proof is right in front of us in our recent history. I'm 50 and at school there were hardly any fat kids. Go back another generation and obesity was not a significant societal problem.

in the 70s and 80s there was hardly any fast food about. Even less if any in the 60s. There wasn't a great deal of processed food or frozen ready meals etc. Most food was cooked from fresh. People moved around more. I could name the 2 fatties in my school year, even now. Everyone else was lean and fit.

What we hear today from all over the place are a myriad of excuses as to why people can't lose weight - oh, it's genetic, I've got a slow metabolism, I've got a "glandular" problem. For the massive majority of people, none of this applies IMO. If it did, we'd always have had lots of overweight people through the generations. 

Eat properly (problem is so many people don't know what that means), move around. Weight sorted. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom