Anyone done an AirBnb holiday in the Med?

What's Hot
Looking at doing a week away with the family to Ibiza - no not the mad bit - and can't stand the thought of a package holiday.

Anyone booked through AirBnb or similar? I've done it in the UK but never abroad. Anything to look out for or has it been a seamless experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited January 2020
    All the time on my motorcycle adventures.

I don't book anything, just ride until I am finished for the day and then check what is available for the price what I want to pay.
    You sometimes get lucky and get an amazing place for little money.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    Not in the Med but we've used Airbnb in Japan and the US and always been very happy with it. Usually a v good way to get a nice self catering place and get away from big hotels etc.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    If you want a bit more consistency checkout the Agrotourismo places - usually farms converted to mini luxury hotels.  They may also be on AirBnB.

This place was superb https://www.canplanells.com/en

Avoid San Antonio

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • We stayed in a place on AirBnB in Crete, it was lovely. However thankfully we booked it through Expedia instead and it was half the price! So I'd say so your research, as always
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Jalapeno said:
    If you want a bit more consistency checkout the Agrotourismo places - usually farms converted to mini luxury hotels.  They may also be on AirBnB.

This place was superb https://www.canplanells.com/en

Avoid San Antonio

Interesting :+1: 

Yer that's the place - San Antonio- will be giving that a wide berth!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Yes - last year we booked an AirBnB near Marbella for a week during half term. Cost us around £300 for the week.

The apartment itself was part of an apartment complex (around 20 in total). Each block of 5 having a huge private pool. It was incredible, furnished to an insane standard and with serious money spent on kitchen gadgets and entertainment systems. It also had a private orchard.

During the week no other apartments were occupied, we had the pool to ourselves and didn't see a single sign of life about the place. However the pool was mysteriously cleaned every day.

We parked the car in a shared garage and in there were some very expensive motor cars (mainly big mercs and audi's - but a few exotic italian sports cars).

It was all very strange and I was half expecting the russian mafia to turn up at any point.

I'd like to re-book the place but can't find it on there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Yes always, we've done all round Europe and California Air BnB, always preferable to silly hotel prices. The best place was in Sandy, Oregon, An artist's house all to ourself with all round balcony and 360 Deg views across the forests to Mt Hood the kind of place we could only dream of living in for about £480 for a week.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    In Sep I went to Sans Fran, LA, Vegas, Arizona etc all on Air BnB 

For the price of a shit hotel we got a detached luxury house in LA complete with own pool and Jacuzzi

Always research the area where you are staying, use google street view to have a wander about. You can generally spot a bad neighborhood ... things like bars on the doors and windows etc :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The OP doesn't say when he's going on holiday, but, there's nothing wrong with San Antonio or San Antonio Bay out of season. We spent the last 2 Easters in self catering at the far end of the Bay for about £200/week family of 4. Beautiful places. 
  • The OP doesn't say when he's going on holiday, but, there's nothing wrong with San Antonio or San Antonio Bay out of season. We spent the last 2 Easters in self catering at the far end of the Bay for about £200/week family of 4. Beautiful places. 
    Easter time when the kids are off school. Ideally would like to be somewhere where there is a little bit of life in the evening - a few bars and restaurants, but not anywhere that gets booked out by all the main tour ops ...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    The OP doesn't say when he's going on holiday, but, there's nothing wrong with San Antonio or San Antonio Bay out of season. We spent the last 2 Easters in self catering at the far end of the Bay for about £200/week family of 4. Beautiful places. 
    24hr party people aside - it is a bit grotty as well compared to the rest of the island

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    My brother and I both booked our houses through Airbnb for our Tuscany and Liguria holiday in Italy, the houses were outstanding and in beautiful settings. Well worth using Airbnb.

Edit: We also used Airbnb to book our accommodation for when we had one of my brothers funeral in Girona Spain. My other brother flies all around the world for work and pleasure and swears by Airbnb. Use it with confidence, you’ll find an amazing place with a little searching.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The OP doesn't say when he's going on holiday, but, there's nothing wrong with San Antonio or San Antonio Bay out of season. We spent the last 2 Easters in self catering at the far end of the Bay for about £200/week family of 4. Beautiful places. 
    I haven't been to Ibiza for many years but from memory there's really just the peak of summer when San Antonio goes a bit mad. From a couple of day trips there it was okay but wasn't the nicest place on the island. 

lovestrat74 said:
    Easter time when the kids are off school. Ideally would like to be somewhere where there is a little bit of life in the evening - a few bars and restaurants, but not anywhere that gets booked out by all the main tour ops ...
    Ibiza should be very quiet at Easter, most of the tourist oriented places won't open until late May. Probably stay somewhere like Ibiza town so you can find a restaurant open. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Yes, i have used AirBnB for years. Seville, Cordoba and Malaga in Spain. Bologna, Florence, Lucca, Sienna and Arezzo in Italy.
     Lubijana ,Hamburg, Gdansk, Marrakesh and Copenhagen.
    Every one of them very good indeed - to avoid disapointment, just make sure you do your homework before you go in regard to location,and amenities required.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibiza Town will provide the bars and restaurants in Easter.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Just use your wits, I've had some that are a bit worn out, but nothing awful anywhere