Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice - Need a Non Terrible Les Paul

What's Hot
Looking to get myself a Les Paul type guitar as I love the tone but I’ve had serious issues with the last three Gibson’s I’ve bought. 

Any suggestions for a decent alternative? Open to other brands and slightly different shapes. Needs to have a skinny neck (the main issue which rules out PRS Singlecut’s etc) ideally full thickness (Negotiable) and actually stay in tune.

Any ideas? My budget is anywhere up to £1300, happy to go used or new.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tabanotabano Frets: 100
    edited January 2020
    MIJ  burnys, grecos, Orvilles and Tokai around that budget would be my choice,
    if you don’t mind use that money can get you a guitar for life..
    the 80,s mij les Pauls mainly gravitate towards thinner necks except tokais,(although some do too)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited January 2020
    Vintage V100PG? I'm actually fairly serious- it's a good guitar, regardless of price. It looks, sounds & feels like a good LP and the neck is skinny (too thin for me- which is why I sold mine). You'd have LOTS left over for any mods you fancied doing.

I'd suggest looking for one of the older ones with the traditional carve neck join- I think they look & feel better.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/1906/products/vintage-v100pgm-4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571527790

Otherwise I'd go Japanese (Tokai, Edwards, Greco...)- I had an Edwards that was superb, the neck wasn't huge- it was a nice "medium".
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Try a bunch of Gibsons. You will find a good one eventually.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Was going to say the LP Special I just bought is a brilliant bit of kit and really well put together, the only issue being the intonation but that's to be expected in a way.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    LTD EC1001T? I was going to get one myself but I fell in love with a LP Traditional
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Stevepage said:
    LTD EC1001T? I was going to get one myself but I fell in love with a LP Traditional
    ^^This^^ It ticks all the boxes you asked for. Wiz awarded to Stevepage.  
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I don't wish to sound like a twunt but have you considered having the Gibsons you've got/owned set up by someone who knows what they are doing?

99.9% of "tuning issues" are either badly cut nuts or badly loaded machine heads. In fact most issues concerning tuning stability on fixed bridge guitars can be solved by teaching people how to attach strings properly... (but then nobody would sell locking machine heads... so where's the profit in that - he said cynically).

Genuinely *GENUINELY* none of the Gibsons I've owned have had problems with tuning - I've gigged hundreds of times without problem. I see you are in Rothwell... 20-30mins away is John at Noiseworks, Coventry. Get him to look your Gibson.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2020
    I’d say do what I did.

Go on Ishibashi and buy a grey import used 1980’s Yamaha SG1000 for about £760 legally landed. Then spend £100 on a new case. 

Then have the guitar re-fretted and a more contemporary set of pickups put in. You’ll still have change from £1300. I rarely play my 2017 Classic as my Yam not only does the Gibson thing, it handles cleans better as well. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I have a PRS SC250 and without doubt it's the best 'Les Paul' type guitar I've had (and I've had many!). The neck is very much on the chunky side too.
  • Another vote for the LTD here, they're cracking guitars
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited January 2020
    Thanks guys, there’s some good deals on older EC’s at the moment. Has anybody compared them to E-ii’s quality wise? There’s some deals on them but I’m not sure they’re worth double the money. 

Ive had older Eclipses which were nice.

And I know a good setup can help Gibson’s but I’ve found them still pretty shonky tuning wise after getting the works done. Not to mention ones I’ve returned due to truss rod issues, inlays falling out etc.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    If you're familiar with ESP, and you're looking at Les Pauls... I would look into Navigator, which is the ESP brand for high end tradicional guitars, such as Gibson/Fender replicas.
  • impmann said:
    I don't wish to sound like a twunt but have you considered having the Gibsons you've got/owned set up by someone who knows what they are doing?

99.9% of "tuning issues" are either badly cut nuts or badly loaded machine heads. In fact most issues concerning tuning stability on fixed bridge guitars can be solved by teaching people how to attach strings properly... (but then nobody would sell locking machine heads... so where's the profit in that - he said cynically).

Genuinely *GENUINELY* none of the Gibsons I've owned have had problems with tuning - I've gigged hundreds of times without problem. I see you are in Rothwell... 20-30mins away is John at Noiseworks, Coventry. Get him to look your Gibson.
    This. My Gibson can go weeks without even dropping a cent, it’s the guitar I go to if I want tuning stability. Never, and I mean never had an issue with it, it is by a country mile my most reliable guitar.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Having been through a few Gibson's i finally settled on a Tokai ULS128 and its better than any of the Gibsons i owned. Its a great guitar 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Get an older LP Traditional, don’t waste your money on a Tokai, Burny, Greco etc. The s/h market for Gibson’s is relatively buoyant and if you don’t get on  with it you”ll more than likely get your money back 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    impmann said:

This. My Gibson can go weeks without even dropping a cent, it’s the guitar I go to if I want tuning stability. Never, and I mean never had an issue with it, it is by a country mile my most reliable guitar.
    I rarely have to tune my Gibson Les Paul either, rock solid
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2379
    Thanks guys, there’s some good deals on older EC’s at the moment. Has anybody compared them to E-ii’s quality wise? There’s some deals on them but I’m not sure they’re worth double the money. 

Ive had older Eclipses which were nice.

And I know a good setup can help Gibson’s but I’ve found them still pretty shonky tuning wise after getting the works done. Not to mention ones I’ve returned due to truss rod issues, inlays falling out etc.
    Not ECs/Eclipses, but I've had multiple high end LTDs (artist 600 series) and my old flatmate had a full fat ESP (what became E-II) - quality was identical, as far as we could tell. Both faultless, and I can't say where the extra money for the ESP went apart from the badge and labour costs if I'm honest.
    Tim
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I had a Les Paul 60, which I got rid of because of the skinny neck.  It had no other problems though.
  • liamon said:
    To be fair my friends 2015 Classic is really great quality. I just must have been unlucky with the really bad ones.

That one on eBay looks like it’s had an accident in a screwdriver factory though.