Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice - Need a Non Terrible Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited January 2020
    I nearly bought from one of the European firms advertsing here but found a Traditional just down the road.  Some really good stuff I think.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Epiphone and Ltd EC series. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    My Epiphone, Squier, Fender and Ibanez are all rock solid, tuning wise.

My Gibson has a G string with a mind of it's own. I'm sure it's a poorly cut nut. It's the only guitar that I've bought new in 30 years and is still rather take it to my tech than go through the hassle of taking it back to the retailer to get Gibson to look at it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Hands down my favourite Gibson to own is my Les Paul Modern. Such a great guitar. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    Been looking at FGN Neo Classics lately. Take a look on Coda Music, very good specs and build quality for not a lot of cash based on the threads I've read.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Which Gibsons have you had? With your budget there's no reason you couldn't get a good one, particularly used. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Gerz6558 said:
    Been looking at FGN Neo Classics lately. Take a look on Coda Music, very good specs and build quality for not a lot of cash based on the threads I've read.
    Wowzers, wasn't aware of them, some very tasty ones there
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ESP Eclipse? Thin/wide necks, quite comfy to play.
  • johnl said:
    Which Gibsons have you had? With your budget there's no reason you couldn't get a good one, particularly used. 
    Mainly Standards, had a couple that were okay but we’re still a bit rough tuning wise compared to my Fender and EBMM. 

Had two other Standards that got returned because they were such terrible quality. I’m just hesitant to get another, especially used as there’s no way to return.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited January 2020
    Fiftyshadesofjay said:
    johnl said:
    Mainly Standards, had a couple that were okay but we’re still a bit rough tuning wise compared to my Fender and EBMM. 

Had two other Standards that got returned because they were such terrible quality. I’m just hesitant to get another, especially used as there’s no way to return.
    Define terrible quality.  I've bought 6 or 7 new LPs and every one of them has been of sufficient quality to me.  And I'm a really picky bastard too.  I'm intrigued.

Tuning issues are easily sorted out too, as others have said.  Mine are all rock solid, even the Special with the iffy intonation....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I got a 2017 Classic, quick set up by a good tech and use D'addario NYXL's 9 - 46's. It stays in tune really well.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Japanese Burny / Grec  / Orville / Tok, Esp / washburn parallaxe 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    johnl said:

Well you can buy used from a shop and still return if you want, most shops have pre-owned, that's where I got my LP standard
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    Like to hear other people's response as maybe controversial, but my experience is that the Maybach LP's 59 are the best made and highest quality I have tried so far. Everything from the case to the shielding are top class. The sound and play ability match, not cheap new but bargains 2nd hand are there and I have yet to find a better LP and I have tried!
  • Gerz6558 said:
    I can vouch for this. I distribute FGN in the UK, the Neo Classic range is a superb LP style guitar. Bit more about FGN:

FUJIGEN (FGN) guitars Made in Japan
    Heritage factory set up in 1960 based in Matsumoto, Japan and responsible for MANY of the larger brands most successful guitars – think MIJ Fender strats from the late 80’s to mid 90’s, Yamaha artist basses, Ibanez Prestige. Wanting to have a little more control over their futures they are focussing more on their own brand FGN Fujigen electric guitars & basses, which are all 100% hand made in the same factory. Great history, great guitars, great price points.

Www.facebook.com/fgnguitarsuk

Give me a shout on here or on the FB page if you need any help locating a dealer. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    Another vote for an LTD. Got one one of these very recently and honestly dunno how they manage to squeeze out so much attention to detail at this price point. I had a full fat Eclipse years back and not much difference there quality wise. 

I like Gibsons, still consider them as the real thing but wouldn't consider them as the only choice when it comes to les pauls.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    tony99 said:
    johnl said:

Well you can buy used from a shop and still return if you want, most shops have pre-owned, that's where I got my LP standard
    Or go try some... and buy one that isn't crap. I'm Kettering based, and travel to Coda Music if I want to buy/try stuff - yes its not on the doorstep but there's fuck all else around here, and its not that far. It saves a lot of disappointment with the pain of distance selling and the moronic box shifter mentality of other big stores.

As someone else said 'define quality'. If its just paint finish and poorly cut nuts, I genuinely don't have sympathy - as soon as you start playing it, nitro starts to mark so paint imperfections become irrelevant. As for set up - just take it to someone who knows their stuff... I have to reset most Fenders because of the girly, whimpy strings they fit from the factory (and that often involves recutting the nut), so I just accept that as being a necessity. Should you 'have' to do it... no, but then again everyone's tastes and playing style is different - a mate of mine puts every guitar he touches out of tune within two songs, yet I can play the same guitar all night without issue... (basically, he really needs to up his string gauge - and use a thinner pick, but thats another story).

Get out there and try some - I've yet to play a Les Paul copy by any brand that sounds as good as a Gibson. And that includes all these highly respected Jap brands - theres always something not *quite* right. Plus, at the end of the day... its a copy, its not legit...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    tony99 said:
    johnl said:

Or go try some... and buy one that isn't crap. I'm Kettering based, and travel to Coda Music if I want to buy/try stuff - yes its not on the doorstep but there's fuck all else around here, and its not that far. It saves a lot of disappointment with the pain of distance selling and the moronic box shifter mentality of other big stores.

As someone else said 'define quality'. If its just paint finish and poorly cut nuts, I genuinely don't have sympathy - as soon as you start playing it, nitro starts to mark so paint imperfections become irrelevant. As for set up - just take it to someone who knows their stuff... I have to reset most Fenders because of the girly, whimpy strings they fit from the factory (and that often involves recutting the nut), so I just accept that as being a necessity. Should you 'have' to do it... no, but then again everyone's tastes and playing style is different - a mate of mine puts every guitar he touches out of tune within two songs, yet I can play the same guitar all night without issue... (basically, he really needs to up his string gauge - and use a thinner pick, but thats another story).

Get out there and try some - I've yet to play a Les Paul copy by any brand that sounds as good as a Gibson. And that includes all these highly respected Jap brands - theres always something not *quite* right. Plus, at the end of the day... its a copy, its not legit...
    I know a lot of people get defensive over Gibson’s but I honestly think the quality can be terrible. When you’ve had to take one back because of serious neck issues and then another one because it seems fine in the store but you play the first gig with it and the inlay pops out... 

I mean come on. 2 in a row and for the money they charge? It’s hardly any wonder I’m looking at alternatives.

As for setups and stuff, I always set my guitars up to my spec but it’s only Gibson that need the nut to be cut to be vaguely playable. It’s a bit of a joke.