Roland micro cube vs peavy rage 158

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 100
edited January 2020 in Amps
as the title says,
I have a rage 158 Chinese made that for home is just great but I also have a 100w super lead I use with the band and I’d like something closer to that beast for home,
I want it to be solid state,
I read that the micro does a great brown sound, ( I am not expecting it to be my marshall...)
Any opinions much appreciated! 
thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Marshall Guv'nor pedal into the Rage.

Neither will get you very close to the Marshall, but the straightforward depth of tone from the Peavey is much better than the Roland - the Roland has far more options, effects etc. It depends what you need...

If you want to get more of the sound of the Marshall but at about the size of the Peavey in an actual amp, get a Marshall MG15R - seriously. It's a good little amp, and a better speaker (eg Celestion Eight 15) will improve it quite a lot for under £30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tabanotabano Frets: 100
    Thanks for the info,
    I happen to own an original Uk made Guv’nor so I will try this,
    I have always been curious about the mg Marshalls,
    do you think the MG15 will get me closer than the rage plus the pedal?

tabano said:

I happen to own an original Uk made Guv’nor so I will try this,
    I have always been curious about the mg Marshalls,
    do you think the MG15 will get me closer than the rage plus the pedal?
    Not sure, but probably not, or not much - just a suggestion if you wanted to do it all with the amp. If you have the pedal already you can probably get what you need anyway!

The amp does have the advantage of having reverb though, which I think makes it easier to get a big-amp sound at low volume, even if you don't normally use any.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have both the amps you describe .. my Rage is really old though. I have a recent Roland Micro Cube which I play in the garden and use as a small practice amp round the house. I don't rate the Marshall sound. I don't think you'll like a Guv'nor through the Rage either.

Just buy a Small Marshall practice amp. Just having Marshall written on the front will improve the tone ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Ok thanks guys,
    I think I will be on eBay after an used  MG anyway, they are quite cheap,
    then I will decide which one stays,
    cheers!
  • I have a micro cube - The Marshall sound on it is rubbish. So is the rectifier setting. The only thing it really does well is Roland clean. The MG15 is much better than the MG30 for some reason. And I always get the impression that the speakers in those amps are not doing them any favours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I can't comment on which is better but I think the sound of the old, original Microcubes is better than the newer/revised model.

Have you tried a Yamaha THR10 amp? The X (green one) might do that for you. 
  • I prefer the mark 2 guvnor to mark 1 for this sort of thing, fwiw. Usually available cheap on eBay. 
    I prefer the mark 2 guvnor to mark 1 for this sort of thing, fwiw. Usually available cheap on eBay. 
    So do I - the 'Deep' control really gives a bit of the 4x12" thump.

For me the MkI is better for adding an extra overdrive channel to a Marshall amp, and the Mk2 is better as a 'Marshall in a box' into a cleaner non-Marshall amp, but both work for both jobs.

Kebabkid said:
    I can't comment on which is better but I think the sound of the old, original Microcubes is better than the newer/revised model.

Have you tried a Yamaha THR10 amp? The X (green one) might do that for you. 
    Yes I tried the yamahas and didn’t like them unfortunately..