Jazzmaster Trem Sleeve

What's Hot
Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15

Hey people, hoping for a little help.  I have damaged the tremolo system for my American Pro Jazzmaster.  I have quite cleverly snapped off the threaded part of the trem arm inside the bushing which screws on to the trem plate.

So far: so stupid.  The guitar was bought second hand and I took it back to the shop I bought it from in Essex and we worked out that the broken end was fixed into the sleeve holder bushing.  That piece detaches from the plate that the bridge is fixed to. It looks like an interchangeable part - i thought I'd replace the whole thing as getting the sheared end out is beyond my skillset (and toolset). 

The shop I bought it from phoned up Fender UK whilst I was there and the lead time of these items was very long (like summertime) but frankly that sounded tentative! 

The help I was hoping for was to find a UK/EU source for a replacement sleeve holder bushing and for an new long trem arm.  It is a screw threaded assembly (not the push/pull version).  Fender part ref  is 771040500 “Am Professional Jag/Jazz Trem Arm Sleeve Holder and Bushing”.

I have looked on the web and am struggling to find anywhere in Europe that stocks the parts.  I looked on the “usual” places I try like Strings Direct, Watford Valves and F-Holes.   I tried amazon and reverb and googling the part number.  No one seems to carry the spares…   The price for these things (a new bushing and a trem arm) seems to be about £20 to £25 quid but the few places that have them in the USA seem to charge more than that for the shipping…. I considered buying a whole bridge plate assembly but a US replacement is about £100 and that seems wasteful.

Suggestions welcome perhaps if someone knows a repairer in the Essex area who may have a part or be able to make one!

J

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    A photograph of the damage would help. It might be possible to drill out the threaded section of the vibrato arm.

Alternatively, take this opportunity to invest in a StayTrem arm and collet. It pushes in. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    Without doubt the best 32 quid upgrade that you'll ever spend on a Jag or JM. @Jim-Bob ;  ;-)
    https://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Page__Category2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15
    Thanks for that Mr FF much appreciated - I really did not know that Stay-trem existed.   The Collet looks exactly what I'm looking for it would be an improvement on the original part.  I will get in touch with them and will report (and will learn how to post pics).

I did try a variety of ways to get the sheared bit out but it was tricky and I failed.... I did think about taking a drill to it but I'm a bit cack handed and thought I'd make a right mess of it (also I don't have stuff like a vice or proper work bench).  

• Get the Staytrem. It comes with instructions.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Get a Staytrem. 1000000000000000000 times better than anything Fender makes - that threaded Jazzmaster trem is from satan's own ring piece. Horrible.

Take the old trem off the body (six screws) then use a spanner of the correct size to unbolt the collet from the trem (the head is on the underside). Bin that. Fit the new collet, screw the trem back onto the guitar, push fit the arm. Done.

Simples.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Get the Staytrem. It comes with instructions.
    I’ve fitted the Staytrem to my Jaguar and it works fine . It was pretty easy to fit although the nut holding the original sleeve to the tremolo plate was really tight.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I have a staytrem on my Jaguar..... its works great.

If you never take the arm off there is always the rubber hose/jubilee clip method....

Jim-Bob said:
    Thanks for that Mr FF much appreciated - I really did not know that Stay-trem existed.   The Collet looks exactly what I'm looking for it would be an improvement on the original part.  I will get in touch with them and will report (and will learn how to post pics).
    You need both the collet and the arm.
    1) The Fender parts will not fit with the StayTrem ones.
    2) StayTrem is gradually winding down its operations. There is no telling how much longer the parts will be available.

Jim-Bob said:
    I did try a variety of ways to get the sheared bit out but it was tricky and I failed.... I did think about taking a drill to it but I'm a bit cack handed and thought I'd make a right mess of it (also I don't have stuff like a vice or proper work bench).  
    The usual technique involves cutting a slot across one end of the arm, then, slowly unscrewing it.
    This thread was a nice example of the board at its best!

Thanks to all for the comments very practical and reassuring - I have ordered a Stay Trem in the Imperial sizing and it's going to be winging its way to me....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    gringopig said:
    Try getting them off a '60's Jag. Not fun. Given a soaking in WD40 and some real muscle with long handled wrenches and it was done but not easy.
    In the interests of clarity, what combination of arm and collet did you use? The StayTrem and the majority of Fender parts are incompatible. The collet ends of the vibrato arms are machined differently where they plug in to the collet. Recent Fender AVRI Jaguar and Jazzmasters seem to have adopted the StayTrem format.

https://i.imgur.com/Zer70lu.jpg?1
    Thought some of you might like an update.... especially as its a positive one!   The service from StayTrem was clean and simple website worked in a straight froward manner the parts arrived very soon after ordering.. It took me longer to find an evening when I could strip down the bridge.  Thanks for the warnings about the original bridge it was very tight but gave way eventually and the fitting of the replacement was no sweat.  All nicely engineered so I'm confident the potential issue of durability of the trem parts that are in contact will have been adequately addressed.

I'm very pleased with the result so far: it's great getting the JM trem back - best thing is that now there is no perceptible give or lag when using the trem... the old one was a bit gappy and swung too much if it was not tight. Ok, some might say that's a minor gripe but I'm pleased is resolved.  I quite like the fact that the curve to the new arm shows the guitar has been subtly fettled.

I also put on some new strings and gone up to 10's and tried to set up the trem lock.  The trem lock is still work in progress but guitar now sounds better than before to my ears.  I'm taking it to a rehearsal tonight and it will get gigged next Friday so it will get a proper sustained work out. My preliminary conclusion is that its a worthwhile upgrade to the standard Fender part even if you have not stupidly sheared your end off.   As PC1971 said "Best 32 quid upgrade". 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I’ve just done the same upgrade on mine, very happy. Definitely worth £32.
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020