Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking on yellows outside a school

What's Hot
If a few parents keep parking on the yellow lines outside a school despite being asked not to many times by the school, is it acceptable to let the air out of their tyres and call the police? Asking for a friend.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I think you need to read the revised Highway Code where it clearly explains that yellow lines on the road outside a school means reserved parking for owners of 4x4s.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    edited January 2020
    Take pictures. 
    Call the police. 

Don’t screw around with other people’s property: 1. You’re bringing yourself down to their level.  2. That’s possibly criminal damage and you’re open to being prosecuted yourself. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • Winds me up no end. Entitled pricks who think rules are for other people because they’re ‘special’.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Err, I know that when this was an issue at my kid's primary school ( I think it still is as I go past it often enough) they used to get the local parking wardens to do an occasional blitz. They can't touch inconsiderate parkers but on yellow lines is fair game. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you need to read the revised Highway Code where it clearly explains that yellow lines on the road outside a school means reserved parking for owners of 4x4s.  
    It’s always the usual suspects - 4x4, Audi, BMW. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    "I'm only dropping off".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3362
    edited January 2020
    To be fair, if you need to pick your kids up you also need to park your car, its not the parents fault, most of us have no choice. Why do people always blame the symptoms and not the cause? And whats the big deal about 4x4's? Jealousy?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    10reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Every single day it's the same people. They actually turn up early as though it's a prime spot. So it's not even as though they're late and have panicked. They're intentionally doing it. 

Its on a corner so every day the traffic gets backed up, to the point where the school bus can't get through and the kids are late back from swimming. 
    All it takes is an unlucky kid to try cross with their vision obscured by one of these cars, paired with someone who was in stand still traffic suddenly being able to move and bam. Hospital or worse for the child.

The police have been called, but they're coming from wherever so they don't get there in time. If they turn up pre-emptively then no one parks there, but then they're straight back to it.
    Hence press the valve on tyres so that they can't go anywhere, then they will have to face the police. 

Though if it's a genuine option to take dated pictures and supply them to the police then that sounds good.
    I just assumed they would say nothing they can do, but even then if I start taking pics of the parents car they're going to ask what I'm doing, and when I tell them that might discourage them.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    robgilmo said:
    To be fair, if you need to pick your kids up you also need to park your car, its not the parents fault, most of us have no choice. Why do people always blame the symptoms and not the cause? And whats the big deal about 4x4's? Jealousy?
    There's literally shit loads of legal parking all around the school. Its laziness and thinking they're special. Drive right up to the front, park on the double yellows/zig zags rather than parking 10 seconds further away.

I get parked every single day, and I turn up with a minute to spare as I'm coming from work 6 miles away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    DefaultM said:
    Every single day it's the same people. They actually turn up early as though it's a prime spot. So it's not even as though they're late and have panicked. They're intentionally doing it. 

Its on a corner so every day the traffic gets backed up, to the point where the school bus can't get through and the kids are late back from swimming. 
    All it takes is an unlucky kid to try cross with their vision obscured by one of these cars, paired with someone who was in stand still traffic suddenly being able to move and bam. Hospital or worse for the child.

The police have been called, but they're coming from wherever so they don't get there in time. If they turn up pre-emptively then no one parks there, but then they're straight back to it.
    Hence press the valve on tyres so that they can't go anywhere, then they will have to face the police. 

Though if it's a genuine option to take dated pictures and supply them to the police then that sounds good.
    I just assumed they would say nothing they can do, but even then if I start taking pics of the parents car they're going to ask what I'm doing, and when I tell them that might discourage them.
    Just deal with it man, its what happens during school pick up, its not the end of the world. If this drives you to be letting peoples tyres down, calling the police and getting all bent out of shape then you should really take a chill pill, there are bigger issues out there to get all bent up about. 
    3reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I would call the council parking department and see if they'll send a warden round - they're probably less busy than the police and could turn up at the time the cars are going to be there. In these days of councils being strapped for cash they should appreciate the extra revenue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If my understanding of the Highway code is correct there is nothing to stop you doing a dump on their windscreen.  You may need a step ladder through.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    We've had the wardens to our school a few times which helps but only temporarily.

I've spoken to drivers on a few occasions and been told where to go in no uncertain terms, and that's just the mums*

That's a lie, it was dads but I added it for comic effect
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Photograph and shame on Facebook .. its dangerous. The lines are there for a reason.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    It drives me mental too. Where I live they also park opposite and on every corner of the junction I need to leave to work by. I’m ultra careful but the amount of times a kids stepped out on me is scary. 

It seems hazard lights means you can park like a twat. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2020

As well as parking on zig zag yellow lines, when they pull out to tootle off to the gym or go for a mocha-chocca-chino with Pam or whoever, after they have dropped Henry off, they appear to seem oblivious that they should give way to oncoming traffic if there is a parked car on their side of the road.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Are we Mumsnet now ? :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Why not go and talk to the school? And in fairness being ultra careful driving past a school when the kids are coming out is just common sense?

Seriously, if you guys have a problem driving past schools at pick up time, dont drive past schools at pick up time.

Ive just got back from picking up my two, cars everywhere, children everywhere, chaos, mayhem, no body got all bent up about it though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I would call the council parking department and see if they'll send a warden round - they're probably less busy than the police and could turn up at the time the cars are going to be there. In these days of councils being strapped for cash they should appreciate the extra revenue.
    Depends on the council and the wardens. I live opposite a primary school on the corner and see this issue daily. When wardens are around they do sweet fa, just walk up and down without talking to anyone or writing any tickets. I assume they've had enough abuse to know they are on a hiding to nothing. The parents are simply ignorant and selfish - they park on double yellow lines, across residents driveways (even sometimes on the driveway crossovers), literally on the corner opposite road narrowing bollards. It' is not only inconvenient but also dangerous.
    All because they are too lazy to park at the other end of the road (where there is always space) and walk their child/ren to the school gates.
  • robgilmo said:
    Most schools are walking distance, thats the point of catchment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom