Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking on yellows outside a school

What's Hot

Comments

• 4x4 owners are likely to be PRS private stock and two rock owners too, you can tell  just by looking at them
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I still don't understand the issue with parking there; is it more dangerous than no parking with cars & buses whizzing by?

Typically what happens is if the road is clear, the council will paint all sorts of lines on the road, put speed humps or bollards there to restrict the movement; if there are a load of parked cars there at peak time then it's a self-regulating chicane.

A 10 mph limit around schools and appropriate zebra crossings & loppipoppersons makes more sense to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

@Robgilmo Imagine this.......

On the school pick up tonight your child, for some inconceivable reason breaks away from your grasp and runs into the road and his hit by a 4x4 because they did see your child due to inconsiderate parking.

Are you going to "No worries mate, easily done as parking is a right bitch round here. Oh and by the way cool car!"?

No, no you are not.

Accidents happen, but you have the duty to reduce all possible risks to yourself and others, even more so when children are involved.

From your posts on here I can conclude that you are either a complete idiot who really cannot understand that you are wholly in the wrong, or you realise that you are in the wrong but don't have the intelligence to say "Fair play you are right" and admit you are wrong.

I really hope that no children, including your own are hurt at that school.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I somehow suspect that @robgilmo drives an old school landy in the countryside, whereas most other posters are visualising pimped out glossy monsters in a (sub)urban setting.

It's not the 4x4 that's the problem, it's people parking like arseholes on congested roads at dangerous places and thus increasing the risk that the road markings attempt to alleviate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Most councils have a contact number for parking enforcement so either report it via that or contact your local councillor. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited January 2020
    prowla said:
    I still don't understand the issue with parking there; is it more dangerous than no parking with cars & buses whizzing by?

Typically what happens is if the road is clear, the council will paint all sorts of lines on the road, put speed humps or bollards there to restrict the movement; if there are a load of parked cars there at peak time then it's a self-regulating chicane.

A 10 mph limit around schools and appropriate zebra crossings & loppipoppersons makes more sense to me.
    10mph speed limits wouldn’t work. It’s hard enough to get compliance with 20mph speed limits unless the road is full of traffic calming features.

The latest initiatives are around prohibiting motor vehicles from entering school streets at start and end times; it addresses parking, promotes exercise (walking, cycling, scooting g) and helps improve air quality. 

It’s not suited to main roads and busy through routes though.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Snags said:
    I somehow suspect that @robgilmo drives an old school landy in the countryside, whereas most other posters are visualising pimped out glossy monsters in a (sub)urban setting.

It's not the 4x4 that's the problem, it's people parking like arseholes on congested roads at dangerous places and thus increasing the risk that the road markings attempt to alleviate.

Exactly. These are cars that probably wouldn't well survive going off road. 

Big estates and saloons are a problem too - my dad dropped me off in town in his mondeo and it was a bloody nightmare, they're just so long and the turns are so tight. In my car (which is sort of like a go kart with a roof in comparison) I can whip around these turns without a thought. It's still tight! 

Another problem car that's a semi-frequent visitor to this area is a Bentley. I didn't realise until I saw it in the flesh, but Bentley cars are fucking massive. Clearly the owner has money, but rather than spend a few grand on a little inner city runaround that won't raise his blood pressure, I'll all too often see him three point turning down a side a street, gesturing to cyclists and other drivers and generally looking very flustered. It has to be an image thing, because there is no other sensible reason to drive such a large car through central old city roads and tiny car parks. 

I have seen said Bentley with a front wheel stuck in the huge gutter channel as he was turning left down a side street and he didn't look like a cool, relaxed guy who was enjoying driving his Bentley. 

An old landy wouldn't be as bad, especially as owners seldom tint all their windows which means you can still see through them to help keep traffic flowing... A friend has just restored a very old landy and it's a pretty compact car tbh, even inside. Again, not a choice for day to day comfort, very much a vehicle designed for off road and work... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand all this outrage and the attempts to justify poor behaviour. Nor the stereotypical slagging off of certain demographics, either, mind...  

The hazard lines on bends and at junctions, zig-zags at pedestrian crossings and yellow 'restricted parking' lines are there for a reason. These areas have children coming in and out of school - vulnerable yougn people with no skill at assessing danger to themselves and easily distracted.

If all drivers recognised the danger that their driving and vehicle is capable of posing to others, and drove appropriately or parked sensibly, then we wouldn't need these laws and markings to reduce the danger. Some children are alive today because of these safety measures. Some are not - despite all attempts to mitigate against poor driving/parking skills or mistakes. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

What is it with people assuming I have car envy?

I LOVE cars, my favourites are the hot rods and muscle cars. I admire the styling and the engineering behind most of them and wish the owners the very best.

Would I ever own one? Hell no, they are a money pit that cost a fortune and with little return and most likely a loss.

I own a small Hyundai i20 which is easy to drive, park and run. I don't look on a car as a status symbol.

To be honest there should be a size limit on cars in towns, you just don't need these huge wally wagons in a suburban environment.

A 4x4 in a rural setting makes perfect sense, even a flatbed with a crew cab for builders, but not for popping down to Tesco for a lottery ticket.

• I don't understand all this outrage and the attempts to justify poor behaviour. Nor the stereotypical slagging off of certain demographics, either, mind...  

The hazard lines on bends and at junctions, zig-zags at pedestrian crossings and yellow 'restricted parking' lines are there for a reason. These areas have children coming in and out of school - vulnerable yougn people with no skill at assessing danger to themselves and easily distracted.

If all drivers recognised the danger that their driving and vehicle is capable of posing to others, and drove appropriately or parked sensibly, then we wouldn't need these laws and markings to reduce the danger. Some children are alive today because of these safety measures. Some are not - despite all attempts to mitigate against poor driving/parking skills or mistakes. 

Bingo. A depressing number of people trying to justify the fact that they value their convenience over others' safety.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    prowla said:

10mph speed limits wouldn’t work. It’s hard enough to get compliance with 20mph speed limits unless the road is full of traffic calming features.

The latest initiatives are around prohibiting motor vehicles from entering school streets at start and end times; it addresses parking, promotes exercise (walking, cycling, scooting g) and helps improve air quality. 

A child could equally run out on a clear road, where cars were driving faster. 
  • prowla said:
    Iamnobody said:
    prowla said:

The thing is, children aren't regularly taller than cars. The lack of safety due to parked cars comes when kids are walking out from behind parked cars; they're not visible for drivers - even at 10mph - until it's too late.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Iamnobody said:
    prowla said:

The thing is, children aren't regularly taller than cars. The lack of safety due to parked cars comes when kids are walking out from behind parked cars; they're not visible for drivers - even at 10mph - until it's too late.
    You’re not wrong, but the same applies if they randomly run out. 
    The flip side is that the parked cars are a barrier. 
    There isn’t a single fix-all which covers all scenarios. 
  • prowla said:

Of course there isn't. There are, however, a number of things that can be done to make it safer.

Like preventing idiots from parking where there are likely to be a lot of kids around, for example. And slowing cars down in the area, not or.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Parking behaviour really does show up quicker and better than almost anything else who are the selfish arseholes and who aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited January 2020
    prowla said:
    prowla said:
    <snip>

You’re not wrong, but the same applies if they randomly run out. 
    The flip side is that the parked cars are a barrier. 
    The sentence in bold is both factually correct and meaningless at the same time, sorry. To try and imply it might sometimes be more dangerous outside a school for children if there were no parked cars - because cars would be travelling faster - is just wrong. And the law doesn't agree with it. 

On a clear road, both the child and the driver will have a better view of the hazards that they are being faced with (and potentially being faced with). That's why banning parking outside school entrances and on zebra crossings is the law - it works. In an ideal world of responsible driving, drivers would notice the child and start planning for the possibility that the child might run out in front of them. That's what kids do - run into the road without thinking. So, without any parked cars obstructing your view, I'd hope you'd prepare for the possibility they might run out and have a plan for what you'll do if that happens. Mayb you'd slow down a bit, or move away from the pavement they're using to give yourself more time if they did do something daft. 

Parked cars are not a barrier preventing kids from running out. The gaps between are plenty wide enough AND hide the kids until they're under your wheels. 

The fix-all which tries to cover all scenarios is for drivers to treat driving as a skill they should develop and maintain. And it's achievable. 

If anyone is interested in finding out a bit more, I'm a big fan of the book Roadcraft (or Motorcycle Roadcraft if you're on two wheels). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I don't understand ... the stereotypical slagging off of certain demographics ...
    That’s the thing which irritates me about threads like this. I’m never sure whether such posters are trying to score cheap points at the expense of a stereotype, or garner emotional support for their own world view. Either way it belittles them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    I don't understand ... the stereotypical slagging off of certain demographics ...
    That’s the thing which irritates me about threads like this. I’m never sure whether such posters are trying to score cheap points at the expense of a stereotype, or garner emotional support for their own world view. Either way it belittles them.
    Perhaps this is an example of one of those stereotypes that exist for a reason? If 4x4 drivers drove less selfishly the stereotype might not exist. You don’t hear it in regard to Renault Clio drivers for example.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554

In my area, since the council started running a road safety camera car around the roads out side school the incidents of irresponsible parking have almost stopped.

Motorists are licenced to drive their vehicle, a condition of the licence is compliance with the law including the high way code and local by laws. It is s pity that a sizable proportion of drivers cant manage this, if they did the roads would be a much nicer place. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Parking congestion in general is very bad near me. The council has recently been able to afford traffic wardens for the centre of town, so the cars have moved out of town and up near me. It's not just that, residents are generally very poor at parking, sometimes 6 inches from a junction. I'll only take the side streets home if it's dark, at least then I have a chance of guessing whether anything is coming before I turn.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.