COMPLETE - Mini Pink Paisley build

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
edited December 2020 in Making & Modding
An email from Stewmac has dragged me out of Making & Modding retirement

I’d flirted with the idea of making a mini pink paisley for a while, originally I was going to base it from a Squier Mini, but that’s still too big for my 5 year old daughter.

These Mini-T kits have been launched with an introductory price, so decided to go for it. Ordered last Tuesday, it arrived Friday!

Plan is, I’ll make a template for a more Tele snapped pick guard and get it made in perspex, shape the headstock then send it over to the Welsh Wizard for paislification! 

It’ll either be done using a silver metallic base coat with a waterslide paisley decal or if we can get the paper done better than all the solutions currently available (the bits between the pattern aren’t white, or pale silver!) then we’ll go down that route. 

Won’t be a super fast build, but I’ll keep it updated as things move on  
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Superb! Looking forward to seeing progress..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love a Paisley, full size, mini, whatever! So, I'll be watching with interest!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Me too.  Paisley Teles are the business.   Get your daughter rocking ! 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Tonight’s effort, photoshop and scissors! End result, a tele looking pickguard design that I’ve sent to Tim at Scratch-it. 

Also grabbed a tele headstock template, it’s going to look pretty close :) 

edited January 2020
     Wow! I like that a lot, was it horrendously dear?

edit

£115 I added one to the cart after watching the Stew Mac video, then saw the postage cost.....£45 is the cheapest option...I can’t justify that and it would be £30 to “join” and get free shipping...

Shame I really like it....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
     Wow! I like that a lot, was it horrendously dear?
    The guitar kit was on offer, after delivery (cheaper to join StewMax then pay normal postage) and import duty (£35!) it was £191 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll jealously enjoy your build instead!

You don't even get free shipping on this kit @paulnb57 as it's too big or heavy for their free shipping offer with StewMax! (despite whilst in the checkout it telling you free shipping, got to love the small print!).

Still, it should look great when done, pick guard should be with me this weekend / early next week too - won't be too long before it can go off for paint!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Progress! 

Tim at Scratch-it made my new pick guard for me, arrived this morning :D - drilled all the holes today apart from the string trees, which I’ll do once it’s strung up. 

Still has the pink film on it, keep it scratch free for now

I thought I’d then do the headstock shaping.  Prit-sticked the template on, then drilled round the template, then used my jigsaw and a bastard file to shape it! Rough sanded to smooth everything out. 

Pleased with how it turned out, especially given it was my first attempt at something like that :) 

Here’s how it stands, near enough ready for its trip to @lamf68 ;

I’ll get a decal ordered up, measure for replacement tuners (the standard hardware is about as good as expected, pickups look a bit cheap too). 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love it! Very jealous!

All boxed up now ready for dispatch to Rich, dropping at UPS tomorrow. 

Decal from Rothko & Frost, also had a $100 voucher for Amazon.com (couldn’t be used on .co.uk), so ordered up a well priced pair of TexMex pickups for the mini beast. 

Undecided around tuners yet, I’ll give it some more thought. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    I’d missed this thread!

PVO_Dave said:
    An email from Stewmac has dragged me out of Making & Modding retirement :)
    Ahhh, good,  I’ve been on at them to get some more tempter emails out
    ;)

PVO_Dave said:
    Progress! 

Tim at Scratch-it made my new pick guard for me, arrived this morning :D

I really like that.

Perhaps I need to investigate Scratch-it for my DC build ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Going to look great Paisleyfied !   Would make a superb travel guitar too. 
    TTony said:
    I’d missed this thread!

PVO_Dave said:
    An email from Stewmac has dragged me out of Making & Modding retirement :)
    Ahhh, good,  I’ve been on at them to get some more tempter emails out
    ;)

PVO_Dave said:
    Progress! 

Tim at Scratch-it made my new pick guard for me, arrived this morning :D

I really like that.

Perhaps I need to investigate Scratch-it for my DC build ...
    Well I'd been thinking about doing a 3/4 size one for a while, I'd spoken to Wez and GSP about it, but until my daughter is around 8, that's probably a bit too big really. 

The Stewmac email came in about the Mini T and Mini S style guitars and sealed the deal :) 

Scratch-It / Gig Ink are great if you are after a certain type of pickguard, I think they are all clear based with a colour or design underneath, so you'd need to make sure that was what you wanted - worked well for this guitar and my Monterey Pop too
    PeteC said:
    Going to look great Paisleyfied !   Would make a superb travel guitar too. 
    Let's hope it plays as well as it's going to look! 

Next posts will be the painting process as it's being delivered to Rich today :) 
  • Sp pleased I found this thread. The paisley design is one I love and doing it for your young'un is fantastic. May I ask who made your own? That looks good enough to own! 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    FastEddie said:
    Sp pleased I found this thread. The paisley design is one I love and doing it for your young'un is fantastic. May I ask who made your own? That looks good enough to own! 
    My one is an Allparts pink paisley body with a GSP birdseye maple neck - some pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewitchalls/albums/72157649944696818

There is a build thread on here, but where I used to use photobucket, most of pictures in the thread have become blurred and watermarked. 
    It's been a while since I updated this... but some progress to share today.

It's taken a while as both myself and Rich wanted this to be done as close to a proper Pink Paisley finish as possible, I'm really not a fan of the ones with white background in between the pattern, just doesn't look right. 

Initial experimentation was performed using cake base paper as a bottom layer (pretty much the correct paisley texture), the plan was to then clear coat over to build up to a flat surface, apply the decal and then clear before applying the burst. Unfortunately, getting the paper on smoothly was a near to impossible task, smoothing the paper damaged the pattern! 

After several attempts at getting it on flat (different glues and approaches) and then having to remove it each time (sorry Rich!!), we moved on to plan B, metal flake, clear, decal, clear, burst. 

This is with the flake applied: 

Then, as of this afternoon, the decal is on one side. It looks incredible, the Welsh Wizard that is @lamf68 is doing an amazing job!

This is now drying out, ready for some sealer coats tomorrow, then it's onto the back! :) 

Not sure Rich will speak to me after this (plus the troublesome Jazzmaster he did and the Monterey Pop!).
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is outrageous! I absolutely love it. Rich is doing a stellar job on that one! 
    Some more progress, we had a couple of steps back with the clear coat shrinking up the decal, but now back on track, the only remnants of it will be hidden underneath the bridge :) 

It's looking incredible now, the clear coat is still to happen, so it's going to keep looking better. As much as this has been a pain for Rich, it looks 100x better than the home build paisleys with the plain backgrounds, well happy with how things are going!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom