Question for hifi guys, left channel going quiet.

What's Hot
Tried two turntable through my charity shop Sherwood amp, after a while the left channel starts going quiet and thin sounding, the same through both A and B speaker channels. If I switch the amp off and on again all is good for another 20 mins or so then it happens again. Any ideas?
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I think it might be the cartridge connection on your turntable. I had this on mine, fannied around with the connectors and it sorted out. Did some reading and the consensus was that this is a known thing. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Tried two turntable through my charity shop Sherwood amp,
    Or this might be why it was in a charity shop

- thought the H&S mafia had done for s/h electrical goods .... :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Snap said:
    I think it might be the cartridge connection on your turntable. I had this on mine, fannied around with the connectors and it sorted out. Did some reading and the consensus was that this is a known thing. 

Same - I tried everything including swapping my ears, in the end swapped the cart out and it’s fine. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Do you have a CD player or tuner?  If you do, does it do the same thing on those?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    Snap said:

Ive tried it with two different turntables, same results, I dont have a cd or tuner to check with
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Jalapeno said:
    Tried two turntable through my charity shop Sherwood amp,
    Or this might be why it was in a charity shop

- thought the H&S mafia had done for s/h electrical goods .... :/

yeah possibly, Ive had a good couple of years out of it for £10 though!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    crunchman said:
    Do you have a CD player or tuner?  If you do, does it do the same thing on those?
    This was going to be my next question.  Even a lead that converted a headphone jack to 2x phono would do, then you could try it with your phone.

I had an old Denon amp which did exactly as you describe, but I never got to the bottom of it - sorry.  I just put it down to a failed power transistor on one channel, and very luckily inherited a rather nice Technics amp at the same time.

I'm not going to page the resident amp guru as I don't want to mither, but I wonder if he does chance in here, he might have an angle?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    When the left channel disappears - have you tried flicking any input source selection switches (where you select Tape / Aux / Phono) etc. My old Cyrus amp had dirty switch contacts that caused a channel to disappear in this instance switch cleaner sorted it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    If it's consistently after 20 minutes and turning it off resets it immediately, it sounds like a faulty component causing a DC voltage to slowly build up until a gain stage becomes biased to cutoff - probably caused by a failing electrolytic cap.

If that sounds like a pain in the backside to troubleshoot, it probably is - the easiest way is to change every electrolytic cap in the thing, but there are often rather a lot in hi-fi amps... and even then it might be something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
    Had this problem with my old Pioneer amp, turned out there was a faulty speaker terminal, but if yours happens on both A and B it might not be that. First thing I would do is take a look at all the connections , in and out , make sure they are clean, when its working , give them a wiggle. It does sound like an internal fault though.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Cheers guys now I don't want to tempt fate but o. The front is a "direct" button that bypasses the controls and gives a signal that can be controlled with the volume, I switched that on and then off a few times and it's been good for the last 30 mins or so. Hmm, we'll see
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
    edited January 2020
    That direct button bypasses the tone and balance controls, could be a dirty pot , switch, or something in the tone controls circuits, could be a dirty balance pot.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    Is one of your ears full of wax? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Hi @jonnyburgo ;
    Hope you get things sorted.
    In case you don't & are looking for an affordable solution, I have a working (when retired) Sherwood Newcastle R-125 that you can have for free. The only issue is that the P&P might be more than it's worth  :)
    Comment away  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi @jonnyburgo ;
    Hope you get things sorted.
    In case you don't & are looking for an affordable solution, I have a working (when retired) Sherwood Newcastle R-125 that you can have for free. The only issue is that the P&P might be more than it's worth  :)
    Comment away  ;)
    Thanks mate that's a very kind offer, it's working fine now but if that changes Imay be in touch!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    All's well that ends well, then.  I was miffed when that Denon of mine packed up as it was a great-sounding amp, but the Technics that replaced it is better.

Now on to the next conundrum - I bought a CD the other day before realising I no longer have a CD deck.

Can you cure stupidity by replacing old electrolytic caps?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom