Mooer Preamps? Anyone use one?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
Hi all, strictly for the purposes of home demo grade recordings, I am thinking of looking at one of these. I have seen videos of people using them in the effects loop (of a multi effects unit) or last in the chain into the recording interface. Not sure of the differences between in the loop v last in line in this scenario.
Anyone use them? They look neat and tidy. Was thinking of looking for one used in the near future.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had the EVH 5150 one and i thought it was superb, both into studio monitors with the cab sim on and into the FX return of an amp with it off. My only gripe was that the output was quite low level. Great tone for the price though.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• @chrishill901 I was thinking of the preamp modelled on the Fender or Matchbox.

A query I do have is, e.g. the Mooer Red Truck multi effects has a cab sim built in, but I've seen a video with one of these preamps in the effects loop...
  • @chrishill901 I was thinking of the preamp modelled on the Fender or Matchbox.

A query I do have is, e.g. the Mooer Red Truck multi effects has a cab sim built in, but I've seen a video with one of these preamps in the effects loop...
    You can switch the cab sim off in these which is presumably what the person in that video did. You could in theory stack up a few of your favourites and run them through a multi-channel looper into a cab sim pedal and then you'd have the equivalent of running multiple pre-amps through the same cab, and each amp would be footswitchable via the looper. I did entertain this setup and even bought the looper to do it... but then I bought a Kemper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2388
    Saw one of my favourite metal bands live in a tiny venue a few months back and was astonished to see that they were using these little Mooer pedals - both pre-amps and the power amp pedal - as their entire sound. Sounded fantastic, I couldn't believe I!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:
    Saw one of my favourite metal bands live in a tiny venue a few months back and was astonished to see that they were using these little Mooer pedals - both pre-amps and the power amp pedal - as their entire sound. Sounded fantastic, I couldn't believe I!
    That is interesting to know! I am still half tempted to get a couple of these and try it against my Kemper. It won't sound as good but I have often thought that they probably sound good enough. I hardly use the majority of features in my Kemper... but then I do absolutely love it. Might get one as a backup.

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I have the Preamp Live which contains all of their preamp pedals in a single box and it stacks up surprisingly well against my Kemper. In a blind test you'd be able to guess the Kemper every time but if the Kemper blew up it would make a fine backup.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    I had the Fendery one and quite enjoyed it but it stopped working after about a month of very little use
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    They sound decent here.

https://youtu.be/r6y0BNqOUbk
  • timmypix said:
    That is interesting to know! I am still half tempted to get a couple of these and try it against my Kemper. It won't sound as good but I have often thought that they probably sound good enough. I hardly use the majority of features in my Kemper... but then I do absolutely love it. Might get one as a backup.
    Was it this guy? https://www.fundamental-changes.com/richard-shaw/ ;
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2388
    timmypix said:
    Was it this guy? https://www.fundamental-changes.com/richard-shaw/ ;
    It wasn't - not a huge CoF fan - though he's the chap in the video above.
    It was Bloodshot Dawn - look up Morgan Reid if you want to see some silly shredding.
    Tim