Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is guitar/bass the only instruments made either left or right handed?

What's Hot
My wife and I attended a concert in the NCH Dublin last weekend.  It always amazes me that a composer/arranger/conductor can piece together, in real time, so many different bits of music to make a very interesting piece of music.

I have often thought that all or most orchestral instruments are right handed.  The bow for the violin/viola/cello etc is held in the right hand and the left hand is for stopping the strings.  All the bows point in the same direction!  Of course it would be chaotic and dangerous if one or two violin players played left handed.

We guitar or bass players are spoiled by having a choice of hand when we go to buy our instruments.  Left handed are less common but available. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    As far as I know they're the only common instruments which are commonly made left-handed. There are others that are sometimes played left-handed - including violin-family instruments, outside classical music - but as far as I know they aren't built the other way round even if strung oppositely, although the position of the soundpost and bass bar should be reversed.

One thing that makes even acoustic guitars necessarily 'handed' is that the bridge needs to be compensated for intonation, because they're fretted - so a steel-string guitar is either right or left-handed depending on the angle of the bridge saddle, even if it has symmetrical bracing and no pickguard. A classical guitar will just need a new nut, unless it has a compensated saddle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    There have been some left handed pianos. Most harps are ambidextrous
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never been sure why right or left handed guitar playing is the way around it is, it whether it's even necessary really? I'm pretty sure your can teach your "wrong hand" to do whatever really. I wasn't particularly proficient using my left hand for stuff until I learnt the piano.

Also, a few people I know are right handed but play golf left handed. Confuses me even more
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've never been sure why right or left handed guitar playing is the way around it is, it whether it's even necessary really? I'm pretty sure your can teach your "wrong hand" to do whatever really. I wasn't particularly proficient using my left hand for stuff until I learnt the piano.

Also, a few people I know are right handed but play golf left handed. Confuses me even more
    I write with my left hand
    I eat right handed
    I cut with scissors right handed
    I play guitar/bass right handed
    I play cricket left handed (including batting and bowling)
    I play golf right handed
    I play snooker right handed
    I play darts left handed
    I will pick a glass up to drink with my right hand
    I need both hands to wank tho.
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I never thought about string sections being either handed but now you point it out I can imagine the chaos unless they were seated very far apart 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    Drum kit layouts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Rocker said:
    Is guitar/bass the only instrument made left or right handed?
    No.

I've never been sure why right or left handed guitar playing is the way around it is, it whether it's even necessary really? I'm pretty sure your can teach your "wrong hand" to do whatever really. 
    Try it. 

Flip a guitar over. Mute the strings somewhere on the fingerboard. Strum away. Observe how uncontrolled your timing has become.

… golf … wank …
    Wis awarded.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fripp says he's left handed but was taught to play right handed guitar - says it helps explain his fretting dexterity. Haha, dexterity..
  • I've never been sure why right or left handed guitar playing is the way around it is, it whether it's even necessary really? I'm pretty sure your can teach your "wrong hand" to do whatever really. 
    Try it. 

Flip a guitar over. Mute the strings somewhere on the fingerboard. Strum away. Observe how uncontrolled your timing has become.
    My timing is shit with my right hand to be fair! It's hard when you've always learnt it one way (like using a knife and fork the wrong way around) but I used to have to do it with piano so I'm pretty sure if I stopped playing right handed and played left only then I'm pretty sure I could do it with enough drills and technique practice
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Justin Sandercoe is doing a series on YouTube at the moment where he is learning to play left handed. Interesting to see how he is progressing
  • DcotorstewieDcotorstewie Frets: 35
    edited February 2020
    I am left handed, but learned to play guitar and drums right handed just because I knew that it would make life easier down the road. I have no idea if it was harder or not. I DO know that I can get by on a left handed drum set, but a left handed guitar? nope. Nope nope nope. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Left handed mandolins are available and I’ve heard of left handed violins
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Triangle. I have both a left and a right handed version
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Drums can be technically left handed
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    sweepy said:
    I would have thought that a drum is a drum and a cymbal is a cymbal.  It is how the drum kit is assembled that makes it left or right handed.  Or have I missed something?

drofluf said:
    I follow your thinking about left handed mandolins (which could be considered part of the guitar/bass family) but a left handed violin in an orchestra is a recipe for a disaster.  Or the loss of an eye.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Rocker said:
    sweepy said:
    I would have thought that a drum is a drum and a cymbal is a cymbal.  It is how the drum kit is assembled that makes it left or right handed.  Or have I missed something?

drofluf said:
    I follow your thinking about left handed mandolins (which could be considered part of the guitar/bass family) but a left handed violin in an orchestra is a recipe for a disaster.  Or the loss of an eye.....
    Rocker said:
    sweepy said:

drofluf said:
    I agree but they’re fine for a soloist or a “fiddler” as opposed to a “violinist”. 

• Flutes.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    bongos.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Left-handed classical string players tend to play that way owing to injury/disability/accident of birth. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Kolisch

The novelty of an all left-handed string quartet of a decent standard would make it a potential social-media click magnet owing to the rarity of practitioners and their likely unwillingness to be treated as a freak show.

Through my better half's work I know and know of a huge number of string players and can think only of one professional violist who only has the full complement of fingers on his right hand, so uses his left to bow.

All that said, she also plays the Froghorn, and we're considering catching this chap when he comes to town:

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/hannover_weser-leinegebiet/hornist108_v-podcast.jpg
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Keytar?