Scratchy pots

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 745
The pots in my Laney Cub 12r are scratchy especially the drive and reverb ones with reverb being intermittent. Should I use wd40 or is it not advisable?
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 745
    Thanks
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Only use WD40 if proper contact cleaner has already been tried at least twice and failed - but then it is worth trying. At that point you have nothing to lose because the only remaining recourse is to replace the pots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I swear by the special WD40 contact cleaner.
    It's better than Servisol.
    Sassafras said:
    I swear by the special WD40 contact cleaner.
    It's better than Servisol.
    I think the Electrolube EML is as well - I switched to it when RS stopped doing Servisol and it seems a bit better. They’re all good though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks all - I'll look for servisol or electrolube.
    ____
    Is there any advantage in replacing the stock valves?

I've not used the amp in a couple of years due to a faulty thermistor which I've finally decided to give it a go at replacing a week ago and also because I was quite happy with my Helix.

However, having fixed the amp it took me 5m to realize that the sound of a valve amp is so much more satisfying than a digital emulator, regardless of how good it may be. So I'm upgrading it with a greenback celestion speaker and getting a couple of pedals.

However, not having played the amp all this time I get the impression that I'm getting less drive from it than I used to and was wondering if it may be due to the valves (they are fully glowing when the amp is on).

Also, is there a noticeable difference in sound by replacing fully working valves by other of supposedly better brand/ specs?

____
    edited January 2020
    fnpt said:

However, not having played the amp all this time I get the impression that I'm getting less drive from it than I used to and was wondering if it may be due to the valves (they are fully glowing when the amp is on).
    If so it will be a preamp valve - first, just get one new one and replace them all in turn, and see if anything changes.

fnpt said:

Also, is there a noticeable difference in sound by replacing fully working valves by other of supposedly better brand/ specs?
    Yes, but it's fairly marginal - and 'better' is very much a matter of personal preference/taste.

I would get a standard cheap Shuguang 12AX7 first - you don't need to spend any more to find out if it's a valve problem, and in my opinion they're among the best-sounding of the modern valves anyway.

https://www.karltone.co.uk/shuguang-12ax7b-ecc83-549-p.asp

Thanks @ICBM I'll give it a go.
    ____