Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What mic for live vocals?

What's Hot
Someone borrowed my SM58 and hasn't given it back. I don't want it now, it's been too long.
I have a small PA that I bought for solo/duo acoustic gigs, all I need is a couple of mics to get it complete again. Is the SM58 still the goto, or is there a more cost effective option these days? Behringer used to do a 3 pack of SM58-like ones that got reasonable reviews.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For cost efficiency the Red5 RVD30 is a steal and not a bad mic at all https://www.red5audio.com/product/4-pack-rvd30-dynamic-microphone/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Given that you know the SM58 - was there anything about it you’d change? Better feedback rejection? More high end? Less something or other? It’s so well known it’s a good benchmark to base choices off. 

If you really liked it, maybe just stick with it - they are poopular for a reason. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    I last bought one about 4 years ago and I tested them out thinking I'd get a 58 as usual. I tried that, an AKG and another Sure I can't remember the name of and...

I bought the TC Helicon MP75.

Just sounded better to my ears and / or suited my voice better.

Definitely worth auditioning one along with the usual suspects.
  • Someone borrowed my SM58 and hasn't given it back. I don't want it now, it's been too long.
    I have a small PA that I bought for solo/duo acoustic gigs, all I need is a couple of mics to get it complete again. Is the SM58 still the goto, or is there a more cost effective option these days? Behringer used to do a 3 pack of SM58-like ones that got reasonable reviews.
    I use the Behringer derivative. The model is the XM8500. It sounds great, is insanely cheap and has proven to be very durable having been gigged most weekends for the past 2 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I absolutely love my Prodipe TT1 and its unbelievably cheap:
    http://www.prodipe.co.uk/mics/2122-tt1-pro-lanen.html
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    edited January 2020
    Duplicate - oops
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    58 is overpriced and nothing special these days.  As @kennedydream1980 said, xm8500 is just as good as a third of the price. 
    With mics for live use though always consider what kid of PFL the singer has, some singers need a tighter pattern than the typical cardioid, other singers have stronger voices and the spill isn't so much of a problem

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I honestly can't say whether the SM58 sounded good or not. I only ever used it in a few pubs, and it worked. That's all I can say. I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know. I just need cheap n cheerful for now, to get me back into it.

I'll look up the Behringer ones again. The Red5 looks to be good value too.
  • The Behringer 3 pack seems to be XM1800S which might not be as decent as the XM8500. The latter is only £15 so had to be with a punt if it's good enough, and it can be a spare in future.
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Sontronics solo gets good reviews 
  • The Behringer 3 pack seems to be XM1800S which might not be as decent as the XM8500. The latter is only £15 so had to be with a punt if it's good enough, and it can be a spare in future.
    I’m not really sure what the difference is to be honest, all I can say is I have the XM8500 and it’s great.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    The Samson Q7 is good value and sounds good.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2020
    The Shure SM58 Beta is very good but it's another £40-50 more than the regular SM58.

There are various comparison vids and reviews online but to mine and my band's ears, they sound better
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    danowens said:
    I absolutely love my Prodipe TT1 and its unbelievably cheap:
    http://www.prodipe.co.uk/mics/2122-tt1-pro-lanen.html
    This. Brilliant mic for the cash, I'd take one over a 58 any day of the week.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    steveb said:
    Sontronics solo gets good reviews 
    Huh, that does look pretty cool.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Neumann 105
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I use a 58 with the blue boss vocal processor as a preamp.
  • Anchorboy said:
    Neumann 105
    I probably should've emphasised my desire to get s better value option. It doesn't matter how amazing the Neumann mic is, I don't need and won't appreciate that quality so the value I get from our won't be good. I want something less than £50. I'm going to try the Behringer cos it's so cheap and gets good reviews. I might only use it twice a year so I can live with it not being amazing.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Kebabkid said:
    The Shure SM58 Beta is very good but it's another £40-50 more than the regular SM58.

There are various comparison vids and reviews online but to mine and my band's ears, they sound better
    I'd second that, I've A-B'd them and at least for recording (for various reasons I've been recording with dynamics recently), I much prefer the Beta.  Not sure if it would make any difference for live, but I'm convinced it's a better mic... 
  • The beta puts out a hotter signal. Our singer owns one of each and uses the beta. We A/B’d then in our rehearsal room and the beta is the better pick for him