Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What mic for live vocals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• roundthebend  said:
    Anchorboy said:
    Neumann 105
    I probably should've emphasised my desire to get s better value option. It doesn't matter how amazing the Neumann mic is, I don't need and won't appreciate that quality so the value I get from our won't be good. I want something less than £50. I'm going to try the Behringer cos it's so cheap and gets good reviews. I might only use it twice a year so I can live with it not being amazing.
    I’d go Red 5 befor Behringer, I use them for cheap hires wouldn’t put a Behringer out
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Iirc Beta is a neo magnet, SM is alnico, so if you have a conception of the broad tonal differences in pickups and speakers, same kinda rules apply.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    The Prodipe TT1 is £32 on Amazon! You couldn’t get a s/h, battered 58 for that! 

But who is Ludovic Lanen????

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I bought an AKG D5 and I much prefer it to the SM58 - it's a little brighter and I believe brings more detail. But it requires you to really be really, really close to the mic.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    robwright said:

No idea, but that mic is epic for that money. There are some comparisons with SM58s on YouTube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AKG D5 is a great piece of kit for the money. I’ve been using them for jams for the past 5 years and they have been utterly reliable and very nice sound. 
  • roundthebend  said:
    Anchorboy said:
    Neumann 105
    I probably should've emphasised my desire to get s better value option. It doesn't matter how amazing the Neumann mic is, I don't need and won't appreciate that quality so the value I get from our won't be good. I want something less than £50. I'm going to try the Behringer cos it's so cheap and gets good reviews. I might only use it twice a year so I can live with it not being amazing.
    I’d go Red 5 befor Behringer, I use them for cheap hires wouldn’t put a Behringer out
    Another vote for Red5 here, their kick mic is well worth the money and out-performed other more notable brands when I A/B'd.

• Dodge said:
    robwright said:

No idea, but that mic is epic for that money. There are some comparisons with SM58s on YouTube.
    I spent a while looking at all those 'SM58 Killer' vids on youtube and the crispness and clarity of the Prodipe TT1 was what initially sold me. When it arrived I was worried it might be a bit brittle with my vocal timbre, but it seemed more like a SM58 with the low mid EQ peak lifted into 'vocal' territory
  • Eric_CEric_C Frets: 52
    edited January 2020
    sennheiser 9 series microphones are amazing for vocals
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    beta 58 is great and pretty much the standard amongst touring artists I meet/ play with. They're easy to find second hand and sell quick if you're not happy with it. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I've used SM58s tonnes and they're fine. The one mic I used that really made me notice it was different (i.e. better!) was a Beyer M88 TG. They ain't remotely cheap, but the next time I need to buy a vocal mic it's top of the list.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Have AKG D5, great budget mics. Also use Beta 87a, little to choose between them in a live setting with my rig.
  • The beta puts out a hotter signal. Our singer owns one of each and uses the beta. We A/B’d then in our rehearsal room and the beta is the better pick for him
    I used the beta 58 before for a few years and it was pretty good. Way hotter signal meant it was easier on the throat when singing with a full band.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Samson Q7 is good value and sounds good.
    This - sound great, excellent feedback rejection and cheap as chips
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Another recommendation for the Beta 58.
  • Our singer had a new superlux clone at rehearsal yesterday..sounded fine. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited February 2020
    I've used SM58s tonnes and they're fine. The one mic I used that really made me notice it was different (i.e. better!) was a Beyer M88 TG. They ain't remotely cheap, but the next time I need to buy a vocal mic it's top of the list.
    Might have to try one of those.  Thinking of a Senny E935/945 but that M88 isnt light years away in price.

Currently using a Beta 57 (not the 57a version - the older one) which I find much nicer on my voice than the 58s (SM or beta).  Doesnt seem to have the mid spike - which happens to be in my strong range anyway so makes it overly harsh sounding.  Adds some body and smoothness by comparison.

Ultimately mic's are similar to other things.  There's little really to choose between models of similar price/specs BUT each will suit different individual voices, being used in different bands differently.  Narrow 3 or 4 down you can afford and go A./B them in a shop, even if you then buy used.