Potential baritone jazzmaster partscaster project

What's Hot
Tossing about the idea of building a baritone jazzmaster. I've got a lovely baritone conversion neck which was made by gspbasses. It's on a cheap Strat body just now which is ok, but being one of those skinny and light low-end squier bodies, it just doesn't feel substantial enough to be a baritone.

Thinking maybe a nice solid alder JM body in some of dark translucent finish, possibly p90s, simple control circuit - a bit like a baritone version of the Thurston Moore signature JM.

Hmmm - need to have a think - this would consume my gear fund - is it worth it?
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Yes its worth it!
    It would probably be easier to recycle your Strat hardware onto another body, but where's the fun in that?!

Crack on! I’d like to see it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    paulnb57 said:
    Yes its worth it!
    It would probably be easier to recycle your Strat hardware onto another body, but where's the fun in that?!

Crack on! I’d like to see it!
    Could maybe use the Iron Gear Alchemist P90's that are in the Strat - good pickups. Depends how traditional a JM look I want I suppose.
    Eden Green stain from Northwest Guitars?
    Matt black HH pickguard from eBay?

Hmmm - I could almost see this coming together. Might give the Strat baritone a wee play today and see if I'm ready to break it down.
  • It might be a completely wrong suggestion but have you seen the new Squier Baritone?

I really like the look of it, I'd be tempted to do something along those lines for a baritone ie in having a hard tail, and simple controls with P90's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @earwighoney like the look of these a lot. The blue toronado especially. My current main guitar is a WRH Toro homebuild. Love offset with a slight difference vibe.
    And yeah - like the idea of that baritone cabronita hardtail. I like a trem but maybe a Les Trem II (which I love) or bigsby would give the solid feel I'm after.
    Should've known better than to play it - don't want to break it up now!

https://i.imgur.com/c5FQK0I.jpg
    Just mulling over pickup combinations if I'm going the JM baritone route. Like the idea of having a mixed set - it'd need to be something quite bright in the neck position, a P90 or a JM original or a WRHB. I don't use the bridge position much, so more important to go for something that combines well to give a nice open and jangly middle position. Maybe something like a Filtertron - would look good too... Choices, choices...