Yet another recommend me an amp thread

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited January 2020 in Amps
Long story short...

After my Blues Cube Stage started making funny noises, Andertons have offered to either replace it or to give me equivalent credit towards something else.

The BC Stage sounded great and I’d happily have another. However I’m a bit nervous after having had one that played up, so am also willing to look at other amps at a similar price point.

What I’d like...

American rather than British sounds.
Loud enough for jam nights or small gigs.
From decent cleans to a small amount of ‘grit’
Decent amount of low-end ‘thump’
Portable - no more than 20Kg.
Around the £500 - £600 mark (new).
Simplicity.
Andertons sell it.

Currently thinking the Blackstar Studio 10 6L6 might fit the bill but yet to actually try one (and wondering if it would actually be loud enough). Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited January 2020
    Mesa Boogie Studio 22 would cover most things if you go s/h
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    sweepy said:
    Mesa Boogie Studio 22 would cover most things if you go s/h
    Sorry but would have to be new due to it being Andertons replacing my broken BC Stage.
  • They’ve got a tweed blues jr with a Jensen for 599, that’s what I’d go for 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Go for a Fender Pro Junior - you'll not regret it.
    AtchinTan said:
    They’ve got a tweed blues jr with a Jensen for 599, that’s what I’d go for 
    longjaw said:
    Go for a Fender Pro Junior - you'll not regret it.
    Just listened (through decent speakers) to YouTube demos of the Pro Jnr vs the Blues Jnr. I was surprised that I actually preferred the Pro. On paper the Blues Jnr appears to be the ‘better’ amp (three-band EQ, 12” speaker, separate gain and volume controls), but to my ears the Pro was the nicer sounding amp (at least at low volumes - it did get seriously mushy when cranked).

Anyway, off to Guildford later today to actually try some stuff out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Peavey Bandit and £200-£300 change.

[/stuck record]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    Well, tried a few things out today and ended up with the Blackstar Studio 10 6L6. Sounds superb, tone-wise it’s what I’d expected and hoped for but with a bit more low-down ‘thump’ than the BC Stage it’s replacing. Surprisingly loud bearing in mind that it is only 10 Watts - I’m confident it’s going to be easily be loud enough for my (admittedly modest) needs.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    edited January 2020
    HAL9000 said:
    Well, tried a few things out today and ended up with the Blackstar Studio 10 6L6. Sounds superb, tone-wise it’s what I’d expected and hoped for but with a bit more low-down ‘thump’ than the BC Stage it’s replacing. Surprisingly loud bearing in mind that it is only 10 Watts - I’m confident it’s going to be easily be loud enough for my (admittedly modest) needs.
    Happy NAD!

did you try a pro junior? Friends in the same boat as you and I’d suggested them as always rated on here. 
    edited January 2020
    brucegill said:

did you try a pro junior? Friends in the same boat as you and I’d suggested them as always rated on here. 
    Not today, but I have briefly tried a friend’s one. I like it but it there’s something lacking when compared with the Studio 10. I suspect the issue might be the 10” speaker since I thought the AC10 also lacked a little something. The Studio 10 (to my ears anyway) had rather more about it. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    HAL9000 said:
    brucegill said:

Not today, but I have briefly tried a friend’s one. I like it but it there’s something lacking when compared with the Studio 10. I suspect the issue might be the 10” speaker since I thought the AC10 also lacked a little something. The Studio 10 (to my ears anyway) had rather more about it. 
    Many thanks! Makes sense