Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #56

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #56.

This one is an attempt at a psychedelic type track.

Voting will end at midnight 31st January 2020.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.
1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

The top three will be announced after the voting closes.
You can find all the entries the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm56-2020-01

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6685
    edited January 2020
    High standard this month 1st place is a clear winner for me but any of the others had reasons to get points over a challenging backing.

1st - Modellista - 5pts - Just brilliant. Clearly the actual solo that should have been written for this song 

2nd - Bellycaster 3pts - Nice and melodic

3rd - Stratman3142 1pt - Funny reworking of Magic Roundabout works very well over the backing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    5 points  - @Modellista - Love this. Keeps the feel of the original but takes off on a new tangent. Not sure if intended but I can hear some Peter Green in there. 

3 Points - @stratman3142 - Nice tone and echo, uplifting, like a magic fairground ride! 

1 Point- @mudslide73 - Reminds me of a rainy afternoon down on the seafront. No idea why (title?) but I like it. Whistful...is that the word?

Enjoyed all of them. Cheers.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    5 Points @Bellycaster ;Easily my favourite.. Super inventive with a good structure while retaining an off the cuff feel. It sounds of the era to the point it could be a lost b-side or album track. Matches the backing to a tee to these ears. Lovely.

3 Points @stratman3142 ;C
    hildlike nostagia gives way to Bolero Beckisms and Axis era Hendrix. Proper. Each section pays attention to the brief - the sound of January 68 at the Cromwellian.

1 Point @fastonebaz Superb genuine tekkers as always with attention toward the "Phsyco Guitar" title and brief. Again a myriad of ideas in there without it sounding overly planned out. Brilliant.

A great track and challenge this month - I very much enjoyed all of them. Thanks.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    As this was a 60's inspired Pink Floyd style backing I went with:

5 points to @stratman3142 ; - inspired 60's psychedelic guitar solo

3 points to @mudslide73 - great tone and a melodic solo that fitted the backing track

1 point to @fastonebaz - inventive madcap solo and a great tone

All the solos were great - I just thought the three above caught the 60's vibe of the backing track.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    1st place @Bellycaster - hits the changes nicely and a good balance between tunefulness and psych madness!

2nd place @fastonebaz - crazy shredding over 60s psych, a strong combo

3rd place @mudslide73 - some really good catchy themes, interesting wistful tones
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    5pts @mudslide73 ; - the flurry at 13s and final note at 50s were perfect.  Sublime reverb, inch perfect semi harmonic, beautiful note choice.

3pts @stratman3142 ; - there was so much juicy reverb and delay going on I couldn't quite work out how to play it.  And that makes me happy.

1pts @Modellista ; - very creative indeed well played, yet just a bit too restrained for me, didn't quite seem psychedelic enough i felt
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited January 2020
    All great entries.

5 points @fastonebaz: Lots of chops and still manages to sound psychedelic to me. Shreddy pschedelic - a new genre.

3 points @Modellista: Fantastic. Very musical and melodic. But not so psychedelic to me, which is why it was pipped to the post.

I kept toing and froing between the other two. Very close but in the end I went for:
    1 point @mudslide73: A bit more understated and a nice fit to the feel of the backing track.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points @stratman3142 - This one propelled me into the Exosphere. Had the most space-like quality of the bunch. Great Sounds.

3 Points @mudslide73 - Another ethereal sounding solo with some nice twists which gave it an eerie quality.

1 Point @Modellista - Loved this as it conjured Thin Lizzy with the layered Guitars. Less Psychedelic than the others but still very impressive.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Voting ends tomorrow (31st Jan) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.