Mobile phone video

What's Hot
Hi all!

Does anyone on here do a bit of serious video with their mobile phones?

I've got a Huawei mate 20 Pro which has an excellent camera and have just purchased a gimbal to use with it! The actual gimbal movements are smooth but the footage itself blurs and makes me feel a bit motion sick if that makes sense?

Would this be something to with the frames per second? I was shooting at 1080p at 30fps.

I'll upload an example later!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Yes

I done my money for nothing cover with my Samsung S10+

1080p 60fps

Make sure you change the quality at the bottom 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Here's my video! Again turn the quality up and have a look at the blur. Not sure if I just need to slow the movements with the gimbal down about!

Excuse the shots and editing! First time out!! 
    Forgot to mention, sometimes a video stability setting may reduce blur if your phone has it 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10180
    You can do a lot with a phone camera but in my opinion it'll always look like you've done it on a phone camera. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @Phil_C : Nice looking "tiger stripes" guitar.

What finish is it - Iced Tea, or Tobacco Burst? 
    edited January 2020
    rocktron said:
    @Phil_C : Nice looking "tiger stripes" guitar.

What finish is it - Iced Tea, or Tobacco Burst? 
    @rocktron ;

It's desert burst mate. The bright light makes it look lighter than what it is

https://ibb.co/qWCJxyk
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    edited January 2020
    I'm pretty sure stabilization works at 16:9 1080p 60fps on the P20 pro
    edit - it does, I just checked. Not sure if the Mate 20 pro is the same.
  • I'm pretty sure stabilization works at 16:9 1080p 60fps on the P20 pro
    edit - it does, I just checked. Not sure if the Mate 20 pro is the same.
    Thanks for that @Electro_Ham.
    My only concern is that will the gimbal and stabilization fight against each other? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure as I don't really take many vids and dont have a gimbal. You might have a point though. Best just practice, adjust settings and see.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited January 2020
    It’s probably the built in electronic image stabilisation doing that blurry/warping sort of effect. If using a gimbal you shouldn’t need any extra stabilisation anyway so turn that off if you can and try it again. For the most natural looking motion always film at 24 or 25fps. Higher frame rates have less motion blur and look weird and jerky and are generally only useful if you’re slowing the footage down afterwards.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    Yes I would guess at some kind of built in software that tries to stabilise the image.

I shot this on a Pixel 3..  Hated the phone in the end but it took good pictures and video.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Have a look at some of Thomas Alex Norman's videos where he gives you tips for using camera phones for cinematic quality shots:

https://youtu.be/wLRnVoi71T4

• Have a look at some of Thomas Alex Norman's videos where he gives you tips for using camera phones for cinematic quality shots:

https://youtu.be/wLRnVoi71T4
    He says "super nice" a lot but some great tips!!

Thanks for the help everyone. Sounds like it's a case of practising with it a lot more! 
  • Take off any in-built stabilisation if using a gimbal.

I don't have any issue with higher frame rates, but you'll get a nice look from 24/25fps. Faster is great for slow mo, or for super, super sharp footage if that's what you're looking for. Some people think it looks weirdly too sharp and lacking in blur when filming at, say, 60fps so ymmv. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    edited January 2020
    You can do a lot with a phone camera but in my opinion it'll always look like you've done it on a phone camera. 
    Not so sure.  I have a friend at work who, along with her husband have a travel related YouTube channel with 25k subscribers. Some of their stuff is shot on an iPhone, and it looks pretty good to me (but I'm no expert).

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Slow down camera pans and move smoothly and slowly

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    edited January 2020
    Cinematic quality isnt just about the camera, if it were a mobile phone wouldn't even be in the race, its also about what you do with it, and what you do afterwards.
    Imagine painting a wall, none will notice the odd run here and there if the wall was beautiful to begin with and you painted it in stunning colours and made it look great, and no one will care about the paint quality.
    Now go forth, capture that wall with thy phone, in stunning cinematic quality!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Last week I went to a Musicians Union day on making video logs. They advocated filming on your mobile ‘phone, but using the main camera rather than the selfie cam which is often lower quality.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are a few films that have been pro shot on iPhones and you can get a pro type anamorphic lens compatible with Filmora go. You don’t even need a fancy phone as they have been done with as little as a 5s.

i have an SE . I don’t even use mobile phones ,it hasn’t had any credit in since I got it .
    I just wanted a useful portable computer with built in video camera and various music add ones available . It’s amazing when you see what can be done with simple iPhones . They even have garage band/iMovie  for free and some great apps like metronomes ,slow downers etc