12 monkeys, a very interesting film (spoilers!)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I saw the film when it came out and loved it, having always enjoyed time travel stuff. I noticed this week that it was on iPlayer so I thought I'd give it a long overdue rewatch. Strangely enough, on second viewing, the end of the story is actually different to what I thought first time around. 

SPOILERS!

OK, so my memory was that they sent Bruce Willis back to find the cause of the virus and stop it getting released, and in typical time story fashion, it was his going back that set up red herrings for the future and also caused the disaster in the first place.

However, this time around I saw the end differently. The scientists of the future didn't want to stop the virus. They know it can't not happen, they just want a sample of pure virus to help in the future (rebuilding a new world). They lost track of Bruce when he removed his teeth, but his phone call from the airport allowed them to work out where he was. They sent the other guy back to locate him then gave him a gun to see who he would try to kill. This then makes sense of the last scene where one of the scientists is sat on the plane with the perpetrator of the disaster.

Anyway superb story, There is a really good simple explanation of the plot here:

https://www.thisisbarry.com/film/twelve-monkeys-12-monkeys-1995-plot-ending-explained/

If I had one complaint it is that the future scientists look somewhat comical in that typical Gilliam way. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    That's pretty much it as I understood it, but it did take me seeing it a couple of times for it to all fit into place.

Truly brilliant film, one of Gilliam's best.

I'll be very interested to see The Man Who Killed Don Quixote now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    You should watch La Jetée, the film it was based on. Hard to find but it'll be around somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    Only 27 mins long and perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLfXCkFQtXw
  • I must watch it again ,I can barely remember it . Your post was not a spoiler as it’s still tricky for me to understand lol
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Best film Bruce Willis was ever in,
    And he's been in some good 'uns.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7853
    One of my favourite films. Top 3. Also one of Brad Pitt’s  best performances. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Both Brad and Bruce are superb in the film
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    axisus said:
    Disagree. I saw the film for the first time last week via iplayer and was disappointed having read great things about it. But then I'm not a fan of Gilliam's films generally, there's a cartoonish quality to his characters that wears thin after a while.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7853
    JezWynd said:
    axisus said:
    Disagree. I saw the film for the first time last week via iplayer and was disappointed having read great things about it. But then I'm not a fan of Gilliam's films generally, there's a cartoonish quality to his characters that wears thin after a while.
    I think it’s a work of genius. Different folks, different strokes. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    JezWynd said:
    axisus said:
    Fair enough, although I don't think that most people are aligned with that opinion. Brad Pitt was oscar nominated for his portrayal, and Bruce I'd say it was his best acting up until Pulp Fiction. I agree with the cartoonish characters comment to an extent with other roles though, as I mentioned earlier, the future scientists definitely.