Insurance for provisional driver?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Anyone know how much it is to add a provisional licence holder to your car insurance? My insurance company is closed at the moment.

Roughly, am I looking at a tenner or a grand? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited January 2020
    Too many factors to consider to guess at. Car age, driver age, car value, convictions, medical.....etc. etc.
    And when it's all taken into consideration, you'll still get differing quotes from different companies. 
    Definitely not a tenner though  ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I used Marmalade to add my son's to my insurance. Paid a month at a time. I can't remember the exact figures but you'd get an online quote in a minute, maybe £20 per month. Massively, massively more expensive once they are qualified either as a named driver or in their own name. 

I'll have a quick look, see if I can find the emails with what we paid. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ...okay £70 per month, obviously I'd falsely remembered it lower as a way of coping with the pain. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I used Marmalade to add my son's to my insurance. Paid a month at a time. I can't remember the exact figures but you'd get an online quote in a minute, maybe £20 per month. Massively, massively more expensive once they are qualified either as a named driver or in their own name. 

Online quote won't work because his license was only issued this month. 
    Fuengi said:

Oh. 
    Anyway was £70 per month but with Marmalade we could pay for as little as a week at a time. With my oldest son we used it quite a bit as he would practice with me, my youngest son couldn't cope with me in the passenger seat so we only paid for it once. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited January 2020
    Have you considered getting separate insurance for him alone. I only discovered this, when I helped my daughter to learn to drive. She had insurance to drive my car, which was separate from my own car insurance. There are a number of insurers that offer this, and you can choose the timescale for the insurance, and how many days are covered during the period of cover. My daughter then logged on to the insurer's App just before we went out driving to get the cover for that day. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Just spoke to my insurance company and they won't offer anything. I got an outline quote from Marmalade which varies from £50 - £80 per month depending on duration. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    we heard that this is very affordable if you arrange insurance for just an hour or so at a time, just to do a lesson
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Fuengi said:

Oh. 
    Anyway was £70 per month but with Marmalade we could pay for as little as a week at a time. With my oldest son we used it quite a bit as he would practice with me, my youngest son couldn't cope with me in the passenger seat so we only paid for it once. 
    do they do insurance for high performance cars?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Fuengi said:
    Anyone know how much it is to add a provisional licence holder to your car insurance? My insurance company is closed at the moment.

Roughly, am I looking at a tenner or a grand? 
    Closer to a grand than a tenner for any normal insurance group family car, if you want normal cover as a named driver. We looked at it for our teenager, but as the family car is group 15 it was over a grand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    edited January 2020
    Think I was paying around 40 quid for a week few years back when I was learning. Still worked out cheaper than lessons at 25 pound per hour. I was with Admiral. This was a separate policy though as adding me to wife's insurance was a lot more.
  • When I was learning I used Veygo and would just pay by the hour. It worked out at around £5 an hour, but for someone who wasn't driving every single day, it worked out a lot more affordable than paying monthly. It also meant I could insure myself on anyone's car for a couple of hours which gave me more practice. So if I was heading out with some friends, I could drive their car. They are affiliated with Admiral so nothing dodgy with them (although their app was a little buggy).

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    It varies a lot - the model of car / your insurance companies risk profiles etc.

Mine went from £450 to £1300 for adding my daughter as an 17 year old provisional driver.

When she passed her test 6 months later, the revised quote went to £4500.

However the same company (Elephant) would happily insure her to drive for a weekend for £35.

We then got her an old Fiesta which cost £1500 with Tesco - but with a Black Box.

After a further year, the annual policy dropped back to £650 on the same car (even with my 17 year old son on the same car / policy as a provisional licence holder).