Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking fine from B&Q car park

What's Hot

Comments

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    When I was self employed and working in the cities, I used to build a daily parking ticket into the quotation. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Think I'll just pay it and move on. Got a lot of stress in my life at the moment and this is something else I don't need
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • It's only money 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • the_butlerthe_butler Frets: 107
    edited January 2020
    If it's a parking charge notice & not a 'fine' (which only councils & police can issue) .apparently is unenforceable, I got one a few years ago from an car park adjacent to an asda which appeared to be part of the store's grounds (& I suspect the PCN company played on the ambiguity)

Apparently if you appeal you 'admit' you were parking in the wrong & are indeed only appealing to the company's 'better nature' (which they probably won't have) & if you respond to their letters you're also 'admitting' liability

I sent an empty envelope via recorded delivery to the appeals dept listed on the ticket so if it did go to county court I could claim I appealed & it was ignored, then ignored all further correspondence from them.

I was sent 3 or 4 increasingly threatening letters but didn't reply, & eventually they stopped.

It's a bullying scam & the business model is coercing payment through fear, I don't like bullies & refused to pay, I refused to entertain them full stop.

How you proceed is up to you & I'm not a solicitor or have any legal advice credentials
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited January 2020
    If it's a parking charge notice & not a 'fine' (which only councils & police can issue) .apparently is unenforceable, I got one a few years ago from an car park adjacent to an asda which appeared to be part of the store's grounds (& I suspect the PCN company played on the ambiguity)

Apparently if you appeal you 'admit' you were parking in the wrong & are indeed only appealing to the company's 'better nature' (which they probably won't have) & if you respond to their letters you're also 'admitting' liability

I sent an empty envelope via recorded delivery to the appeals dept listed on the ticket so if it did go to county court I could claim I appealed & it was ignored, the ignored all further correspondence from them.

I was sent 3 or 4 increasingly threatening letters but didn't reply, & eventually they stopped.

It's a bullying scam & the business model is coercing payment through fear, I don't like bullies & refused to pay, I refused to entertain them full stop.

How you proceed is up to you & I'm not a solicitor or have any legal advice credentials
    Wrong. A high court ruling has confirmed that they are legally enforceable.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/britains-biggest-parking-fine-motorist-told-must-pay-24500-ignored/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 305
    edited January 2020
    I have had two in the past. One I paid as I was ignorantly in the wrong. The second one I took the letter to Premier inn (it was thier car park)  The manager said "no problem, I will get it cancelled. You will get a reminder....ignore it, if you get a third bring it in."  I heard nothing after that,....... eight months ago.
    Worth going back to B and Q
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I had a similar thing last week.  Euro Car Parks sent me a bill for £85 for parking in the pub car park near work.   I was there for less than an hour, bought drinks for colleages and left.   
    They say their signs are clear.... well, not in the middle of storm Brendan they're not!.... And no-one at the bar mentioned the car park rules to me either.
    I've appealed nicely, with a cut and paste of my bank statement showing that I bought drinks.

I expect it to be overturned but if it isn't, they can sing for their money.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    That car park Matthew has been collared in is a bit different to a normal one because it's right next to PFC and people were using it as free parking for the football. So on match day you can be fined for overstaying an hour rather than the 2 hours which is normal ..... there is a sign but people have successfully appealed 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    A lot of people think that B and Q , ESSO , Homebase , Holiday Inn etc do this to you .......they don't
    The Establishment RENTS the space to these operators for an annual set charge....Parasitical arrangement
    the scumbag companies then go about "sub-letting the space" .....the idea is that they make their revenue by default parking .
      They are mercenary.....in most cases you will see they go to the ultimate degree to make signs hard to spot, hard to understand , confusing and conflicting ......they then monitor them fastidiously .
     Most often the Establishment has zero sway with the appeal procedure .
    It's a dirty, nasty business.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Don't forget that the DVLA sell your details to these private companies, too....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I go to the Waitrose near to my office sometimes. Where it's placed it would be handy to park there for several other things so fair enough they have a two hour limit. They manage this by having a person in a luminous jacket who records the numbers but who also helps little old ladies ( and little old men, etc) and let's them stay longer if they need it. Nothing in that I have any issue with. 
    Everywhere else is just an ANPR system designed to make money out of your forgetfulness. 
    We are having one of these systems installed at work in order to dissuade people parking for the college or the park and in theory I will be exempt. However, based on my previous experience I am anticipating the parking company getting it wrong and a large number of angry employees asking why they've been sent a charge notice for going to work. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    It is an invoice, and like any invoice if you are liable for their “services” in this case, your parking...then they are recoverable, through the courts if it needs be.

your choice/risk/time whether you want to pay the £140 and get on with your life or spend time, worry and potentially more money to fight it.

at the end of the day, go back and check the parking T&C, if you broke it, you are liable.  Not knowing the parking restrictions beforehand is not a defence.  

These days I just think “I was wrong, I’ll just suck it up and pay it and move on”.  life is too short.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I go to the Waitrose near to my office sometimes. Where it's placed it would be handy to park there for several other things so fair enough they have a two hour limit. They manage this by having a person in a luminous jacket who records the numbers but who also helps little old ladies ( and little old men, etc) and let's them stay longer if they need it. Nothing in that I have any issue with. 
    Everywhere else is just an ANPR system designed to make money out of your forgetfulness. 
    We are having one of these systems installed at work in order to dissuade people parking for the college or the park and in theory I will be exempt. However, based on my previous experience I am anticipating the parking company getting it wrong and a large number of angry employees asking why they've been sent a charge notice for going to work. 
    Reassuringly John Lewis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow  what a horrible system. Sometimes I’m glad I’m a pedestropod 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I deal with a dozen of these a day.....ain’t life grand  :/.....the fact it’s progressed to a Debt Agency makes it trickier, everybody wants a cut of your hard earned. Your ex has probably had the original PCN and ignored it.

I think your only possible case is to speak with the branch manager of the B&Q and give them chapter & verse. No guarantees on that, but if your life is very busy, I’d expect that paying and moving on a little wiser is your best bet.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I'm going to visit b&q tomorrow to see what they can do, if they can't I'll just pay. I think it's pretty disgusting, but I can see why they do it
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I never use b&q anymore. 

Went in there last month, asked for decking and the bloke hit me right in the face. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24264

I sent an empty envelope via recorded delivery to the appeals dept listed on the ticket so if it did go to county court I could claim I appealed & it was ignored, then ignored all further correspondence from them.

Lying to the court is perjury.

Can get prison time for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    edited January 2020
    DO NOT: Write to them/respond and identify the driver; respond as the "keeper" of the vehicle.

DO NOT: Expect them to accept reason, be sympathetic, etc.; they aren't.

DO NOT: Ignore it - if it goes to county court you will lose.

DO: Check out the forum on Money Saving Expert

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom