Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Non-stick pans, my arse !

What's Hot

Comments

• We have a le creuset frying pan which is ace, cast iron and black enamel. Sometimes food sticks, but it's never more than a acid deglaze or a soak away from being clean again.

I also use a couple of carbon steel pans, they're not quite as good as they need a bit of care with the seasoning but once sorted they're fantastic. 

Lastly, stainless steel pans are tough (if you get a good one) and easy to clean even if it sticks as you can use a steel sponge thing easy enough. 

Non stick pans are mostly disposable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

I have both steel (de Buyer), stainless and non-stick. I wholeheartedly agree that seasoning steel/iron pans is a fantastic way to go, but I do a lot of cooking (risotto, tomato-based sauces etc) that require a long cook with a fair amount of liquid. For this task, the non-stick wins hands down. Otherwise I would be re-seasoning after each cook.

For cooking that is *only* frying, I use the iron.

Adam

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11802
    Sassafras said:
    Non stick pans suck.
    I use cast iron pans that stay non stick once they've been properly seasoned.
    You still have to use oil when frying so I've never seen the point of non stick pans.
    And I don't like the thought of eating little bits of tefal even if it is supposed to be chemically inert.
    Cast iron is great, I have one too, but it takes longer to get to the right temp.  Great for meat as it retains heat with a great radiating heat conductivity high above the surface over other metals.  

For eggs and anything quick to cool.  A carbon steel pan is much easier to use.  Same technique in seasoning and maintenance as cast iron but lighter and quicker to get up to temp.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Like the above comments we've had rubbish non stick pans. We have, however, had a couple that were cheap from Morrisons that seem to be as tough as old boots and have lasted really well ( even the abuse that my kids give them on the rare occasions that they wash up).  
    Otherwise we have a couple of Le Creuset pans and a few stainless steel. It seems quite rare that anything sticking is all that much of a problem. My youngest son managed to burn on about half an inch thick of pasta bake onto the bottom of a Le Creuset pan the other day but a bit of soaking and a bit of scrubbing all came good. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • always wondered how they get a non stick coating to stick to the pan in the first place.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • always wondered how they get a non stick coating to stick to the pan in the first place.
    with years of muso engineering behind me I can confidently say....

gaffa tape
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11802
    always wondered how they get a non stick coating to stick to the pan in the first place.
    Heat, really high heat.

Which means if you heat your non-stick pan hot enough, the teflon will come off.  It takes prolong heat source without any food on it mine, quite difficult to do accidentally at home with home hob but it is possible if you really try.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Im sure it's not just high heat with the Teflon etc - is there not a priming compound that acts as an 'adhesive' between the metal and the Teflon?

By far the worst for non-stick Ive had was a LeCreuset cast iron-with-coating frying pan. Great for cooking steaks etc, but impossible to season and very burny-on-non-non-stick!

Adam

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    We have two stainless steel untreated, one cast iron with 'non stick' grey coating and a cast iron ribbed ceramic coated square one. Also a single egg cheapie non stick that just gets a wipe and put up.
    We once accidentally put one of the single egg ones in the dishwasher, it ruined the coating but worse than that left a thin grey film on everything in that wash. Some plastic items would not wash clean and had to be binned, everything else needed a hand wash and two machine washes to be sure all the contaminents had been removed.
    From here on stainless will be the coice if we need to replace anything..

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    @Emp_Fab are you complaining about non-stick pans sticking to your arse ?  :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I forego the hassle and just cook directly on the hob. 

Bit messy on gas ones though. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    edited January 2020
    I have had one of these for just under a year, great pan so far. Omlettes slide out of it which enables me to fold them over so it makes a half circle shape on the plate, which means room for the salad. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Image result for spanking with frying pan
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Where I went to school there was a saucepan factory down the road.* One of my class mates Malcolm said his dad worked there although didn't know what as. Malcolm wasn't the sharpest tool in the box and we had much fun saying that his dad was the man who made the hole in saucepan handles. This was comedy gold to me at 13.
    Anyyway, any discussion about saucepans always gets me thinking about Malcolm, school days and the reasons I never had a career in comedy...   

* I think the end days of Tower Housewares which became part of Russell Hobbs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Hi my Names Malcom and i am a hopeless alchoholic. I started drinking at 13 because i was getting bullied at school just because my dad worked in a saucepan factory. Just like his pans i got too much stick..

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I have no idea how you do this ha ha ... had it happen on a couple of "cheap" ones when I first started cooking properly.

As much as I dislike the bloke, bought a Jamie Oliver Tefal job 9 years ago, it's used most days and the coating is perfect ... the edges are chipped because I'm a clumsy **** but the non stick is in perfect condition.

If it makes a difference I clean with a cloth or sponge and never a brush.  Maybe its the brush ...
  • The problem is that you're cleaning them with fairy liquid and a nylon brush. Stop! A non-stick pan should be easily cleanable by just warming the pan and wiping it clean with some kitchen roll. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a bit of a Le Creuset addiction!!  All my frying pans and saucepans are made by them. Both my frying pan and omelette pan are nonstick, as is my smallest saucepan. The saucepan I use everyday, and it remains pristine. I do oil all  the nonstick pans occasionally as per the Le Creuset recommendation.
  • When I initially read the combination of words in the thread title I thought it said "non-stick pants"
    Which sound like something with a disturbingly grainy illustration in Exchange & Mart. I'll probably have nightmares now.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    Non-stick pants? My arse!