Just a Minute Nicholas Parsons RIP

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited January 2020 in Tributes
After avoiding, Repetitions, Pausing and Deviation for 96 years, Nicholas Parsons has run out of time...

Very sad.
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• How sad.  The only man who could wear a cravat and get away with it! 
    RIP.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited January 2020
    Ah that’s sad - I was only discussing him the other day with someone and saying how incredible he was for his age. 

If anyone has demonstrated that old age needn’t get in the way of an agile mind, it was him. 

A long life, well lived.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    I was driving home yesterday & thought ' I haven't heard just a minute' for a while...
    He was a real one off, a polite gentle, self effacing gentleman that could take a joke too, a rare talent in these days of self centred so called 'celebs'.
    Sad, but he had a bloody good innings. RIP.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    proper, proper legend.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    A proper gentleman and with quite a long and interesting career from stand up to film actor.

RIP
  • bbill335 said:
    proper, proper legend.
    Repetition.

A sad loss.  Won't be the same without him.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Consumate professional, very sad. RIP

The BEST ever Rocky Horror narrator !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    As said previously, very good innings and a true National Treasure :(
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Shame.

Very, very good at the things he did, always avoided the oiliness and simpering that affects so many hosts on telly and radio.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Regular listeners to Just A Minute will be aware that Parson's faculties had been diminishing for a few years. Paul Merton was propping him up, interjecting whenever necessary to remind the chair of what he should say at that stage of the proceedings. 

He was a real one off, a polite gentle, self effacing gentleman that could take a joke too, a rare talent in these days of self centred so called 'celebs'.
    The early portion of Parsons' stage and broadcasting career was as straight man to various comedians. This prepared him well for chairing radio panel game shows. Like Humphrey Lyttleton, Parsons knew when to nip in with a funny line and when to keep schtum to let the guests shine. (Jack Dee does this well on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Angela Barnes does it well when she is host/chair.)
    Be seeing you.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Ahh. Yes, lovely, entertaining man. Any interview with him was always a delight and Just a Minute was always much funnier than you'd think the format would allow. 

There's a recent RHLSTP with him on ( recorded I think early 2019)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554

Knowing how I feel about my brain at my age I am amazed he did that job for so long. Seemed like a proper gent.

Humph and Parsons made up my favourite radio listening, as well as "The Organist Entertains!" Sad but true.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    Jalapeno said:
    Consumate professional, very sad. RIP

The BEST ever Rocky Horror narrator !
    I agree  :) 
    Image result for nicholas parsons daughter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Regular listeners to Just A Minute will be aware that Parson's faculties had been diminishing for a few years. Paul Merton was propping him up, interjecting whenever necessary to remind the chair of what he should say at that stage of the proceedings. 

He wasn't bad though, especially when I think of my own father fading away at least 10 years younger.  To survive to 96 with most of your faculties intact really is a good innings.

Although probably not one of his greatest achievements, I'll remember him best for Sale of the Century.  I was very proud of myself, aged about 12, after watching a whole episode and knowing the answer to every question.

• RIP. Listened to a lot of Just a Minute and always enjoyed it
    Philly_Q said:

He wasn't bad though, especially when I think of my own father fading away at least 10 years younger.  To survive to 96 with most of your faculties intact really is a good innings.

Although probably not one of his greatest achievements, I'll remember him best for Sale of the Century.  I was very proud of myself, aged about 12, after watching a whole episode and knowing the answer to every question.

Gosh nearly forgotten that, my father's cousin was a contestant on it and, IIRC, he won one week and went back the next only to lose everything. Big deal at the time in my family.

I was watching some documentary about quiz shows and the two important rules about them in the UK were a limit on prize value ( equivalent to a small family car) and that contestants had to be chosen at random from anyone who applied ( you couldn't audition contestants).In the days of Sale of the Century it meant you got some people who were particularly bad at presenting themselves on TV, but all the better for it, competing for some fairly naff prizes. You needed TV hosts like Nicholas and Brucie who could be sharp witted but warm and  good with people. RIP.    
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
     Brucie who could be sharp witted but warm and  good with people. RIP.    

Always thought Brucie was a complete git.  He always played people for laughs to make him look good.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
     Brucie who could be sharp witted but warm and  good with people. RIP.    

Always thought Brucie was a complete git.  He always played people for laughs to make him look good.
    That's not how I remember him but been a long time. I was watching an interview with Jade Adams and she was saying she was inspired to get into comedy by Michael Barrymore because he was funny yet good with people yet I thought the same about him as you do about Bruce.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    He's one of those entertainers who has been around for my whole life. I always liked him, a sad loss. Still, it was a good innings as they say.