Nice guitars ruined by one feature...

What's Hot

Comments

• WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
    edited January 2020
    Lewy said:
    PRS Silver Sky is ruined for me by the birds. If they had dots, I'd likely have one by now.

So buy a Fender Strat
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The price.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    WildWayz said:
    Lewy said:
    PRS Silver Sky is ruined for me by the birds. If they had dots, I'd likely have one by now.

So buy a Fender Strat

Oh I have strats :) I just like the PRS take on it (minus the birds).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Angled humbuckers.

Gold hardware.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Slim necks on 99.999% of 335s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Lewy said:
    That is about as daft a reason for not buying a guitar as any I have heard.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    artiebear said:
    Anything in the 80's with a fxxxxxx Kahler .
    Ah man, I would rather have a Kahler than a Floyd, these days I'd rather have neither, but always found the Khaler so much easier to setup/change strings. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Rocker said:
    Lewy said:
    Isn't that the point of this thread?  They're all daft, or most of them anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited January 2020
    Rocker said:
    Lewy said:
    Severely disliking a significant aesthetic feature of a guitar is about as daft a reason for not buying a guitar as any you have ever heard?

Would you be so kind as to furnish us with the next few runner up reasons so I can gauge what kind of c*nt I am?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Every PRS, with birds on the fretboard
    FTFY
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2020
    All James Tylor guitars =- by the awful headstock.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2020
    Rocker said:
    Lewy said:
    Surely most of us, deep down, can be pretty shallow when it comes to guitars. Not buying something because it's got bird inlays is surely no worse than not buying something that you don't like the colour/headstock shape/body style of. A good guitar is a good guitar regardless of its aesthetics but these things absolutely influence our buying choices.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Philly_Q said:
    normula1 said:
    The cutaways an a Gibson ES339 are way too tight to get my hand in, and my hands are not in any way big
    I'm very fond of my CS-336 but you're right, the cutaways are very tight.  I guess they decided the body proportions would look weird if they widened the cutaways.
    They had bigger horns and cutaways on the early ES-336 model, but it was weird looking. I have to say I’ve never had trouble with my 336. Maybe I have small hands(?) but it’s only a smidge worse than an SG - I don’t find it any worse than a Tele.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Lodious said:
    Musicman's nut width. 
    i like narrow nuts, and i'd say that a wide nut (43-45mm) could ruin an otherwise nice guitar for me!
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Philly_Q said:
    normula1 said:
    The cutaways an a Gibson ES339 are way too tight to get my hand in, and my hands are not in any way big
    I'm very fond of my CS-336 but you're right, the cutaways are very tight.  I guess they decided the body proportions would look weird if they widened the cutaways.
    They had bigger horns and cutaways on the early ES-336 model, but it was weird looking. I have to say I’ve never had trouble with my 336. Maybe I have small hands(?) but it’s only a smidge worse than an SG - I don’t find it any worse than a Tele.
    I was playing it earlier tonight and the top two frets are almost unusable, which is a shame as the rest of the guitar is wonderful.... actually just remembered another flaw, the taper on the volume pots is way too dramatic between 10 and 9 if you play clean. I will bite the bullet and change the pots at some point.
  • Any Fender Guitar that has a Brilliant White Pickguard with White Pick Ups to match.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    bbill335 said:
    Lodious said:
    Musicman's nut width. 
    i like narrow nuts, and i'd say that a wide nut (43-45mm) could ruin an otherwise nice guitar for me!
    Same for me, feels horrible. Pretty much rules out every Ibanez/other shreddy guitars. I love the feel of Musicman necks, I’d have one if they weren’t so dear!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited January 2020
    crunchman said:
    Location of the mud switch on Gretsches.

On my Les Paul, I can just flick my hand up to change pickups easily without having to look.  On my Gretsch, I have to be really careful not to hit the mud switch.

Actually, the mud switch is a good candidate. Though "ruined" would be putting it way too strong.
    I don't like those chrome covers that used to be fitted on Fender bridges & the bass pickups. At least the 6 string ones weren't screwed on like the basses. The Rickenbacker guitar one is bad too, but then you have to file the corners off the specially designed hand gouging E saddles when you remove it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    JerkMoans said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Any guitar where the neck needs to come off to adjust the truss rod.

+1 for this. I mean, why?
    It's a blessed nuisance, but then my 1969 hardtail strat falls into that category.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2020
    Not so much ruined but annoying. Epiphone Sheraton II's (here's my 1988 Samick factory one) - the fret inlays stop at the 15th fret.  Why??!!  It's a real nuisance because, even though I've been playing some 48 years now I can still sometimes get thrown by it & lose my place towards the dusky end of the neck! 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)