Martin Coletti Parlour guitar

Noticed this in a local auction could be quite rare as not found any with those type of inlay dots ,possibly
solid wood  .Anyway how much would fretboard members pay for one of these and would you buy one just off the
picture alone as I'm tempted to ring place a bid and collect tomorrow? ...link below

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    It may be a bit late but there are bits and pieces on the internet - like this http://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/27297.shtml  . The views are mixed (junk to very good) but if you can afford to lose £34 then it is probably worth a go buying blind. A lot may depend on when it was produced. I've never come across them myself.
  • My first guitar was a Martin Coletti back in 1962, it cost about £3. They were cheap plywood starter guitars, there's no reason to believe they have improved with age!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    That isn't a parlour guitar, the body looks too big and round, and it's got 14 frets and nylon strings. That's some sort of classical guitar.
    I came across this 1934 ad for Martin Colleti guitars. From what I have read, the oldest steel strung models had a tailpiece bridge like an archtop. The model advertised has a very similar bridge to that which is for sale - and it appears to be a steel strung through type of bridge. It is possible that the pre-1960's models weren't at all bad - but in the 1960's they went into mass production and sold through mass-market catalogues. Looking at the prices, they weren't that cheap in 1934.

The term "parlour guitar" is now generally applied to any small guitar up to, say, 00 size - and 14 frets to the body does not exclude it from that category. The strings on the model for sale look uncomfortably close to the edge of the fretboard
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The only dealings I’ve had is when they pop up in my Martin eBay search. Even at £34 it would take up valuable other guitar space 
    GTC said:
    I came across this 1934 ad for Martin Colleti guitars. From what I have read, the oldest steel strung models had a tailpiece bridge like an archtop. The model advertised has a very similar bridge to that which is for sale - and it appears to be a steel strung through type of bridge. It is possible that the pre-1960's models weren't at all bad - but in the 1960's they went into mass production and sold through mass-market catalogues. Looking at the prices, they weren't that cheap in 1934.

The term "parlour guitar" is now generally applied to any small guitar up to, say, 00 size - and 14 frets to the body does not exclude it from that category. The strings on the model for sale look uncomfortably close to the edge of the fretboard
    I wouldn't describe any small guitar as being a parlour guitar, travel guitars, baby Taylors and so on are not parlour guitars and neither is this.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    GTC was saying that’s what small guitars are refereed to as these days. He is, I’m sure, aware of the distinction. 
    I as others, prefer to use the Martin sizes as a distinction 
    Andy79 said:
    GTC was saying that’s what small guitars are refereed to as these days. He is, I’m sure, aware of the distinction. 
    I as others, prefer to use the Martin sizes as a distinction 

Oh, I see.
    The historic definition of parlour guitars - sub 0-size with a lower bout of less than 13.5" - has widened in the past couple of decades - probably for marketing reasons. I came across this a while back - https://parlor.guitars/blog/what-parlor-guitar

There are many guitars out there which are marketed as parlours but do not fit into the traditional definition. I guess if Taylor thought they could shift more Baby Taylors by calling them parlour guitars then they would - with, I suppose, some justification, that they are small guitars suitable for playing comfortably on a sofa in a parlour.
    GTC said:
    The historic definition of parlour guitars - sub 0-size with a lower bout of less than 13.5" - has widened in the past couple of decades - probably for marketing reasons. I came across this a while back - https://parlor.guitars/blog/what-parlor-guitar

There are many guitars out there which are marketed as parlours but do not fit into the traditional definition. I guess if Taylor thought they could shift more Baby Taylors by calling them parlour guitars then they would - with, I suppose, some justification, that they are small guitars suitable for playing comfortably on a sofa in a parlour.

I understand, 'parlour guitar' has become a generic term for small guitars. A bit misleading though for inexorable old gits like me.
  • I can think of much better ways to spend £34!
    From further reading, the pre-2WW models of these eastern-European made guitars can be pretty decent with good tone, playability and solid woods - as reflected in their original selling price. The later models are the post-war catalogue plywood  junk. Probably too much of a risk to buy blind from  a single photo and no additional information unless you were happy to risk losing £34. The scratchguard looks like a retrofit from an archtop and makes you wonder what is underneath.

proggy said:
    I understand, 'parlour guitar' has become a generic term for small guitars. A bit misleading though for inexorable old gits like me.
    Yes, all the room-related guitar sizes can be very loosely used and confusing (parlour, concert, auditorium, etc). as Andy79  says, the Martin sizes are probably more reliable as a general indication,.

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    A series of events prevented me from getting a bid on it unfortunately ,so sorry no update..