How do I write a minor progression?

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
I have been stuck my whole life thinking in major or relative major. I can certainly feel when a progression has a minor feel to it but cannot get my head around what makes a progression A natural minor, and not C major.

For examples, I will be talking in terms of A natural minor.

Emphasising the minor chords (especially the i, e.g. A-minor), avoiding the III chord (C-major), except in passing, or on weak beats seems to work. any more tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    use Dm & Em a lot as well  (for the C maj vibe)

minor 2 5 1 (Bm7b5  E7(alt)  Am) - you can also tritone sub the E7 for a Bb7 for a nice descending vibe.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    edited February 2020
    Build chords using the 1st,3rd,5th,7th notes of the modes of the Harmonic minor scale.

Western music harmony chords are mostly (80%ish) all just about stacking every third note of a scale, it's name is Tertian harmony.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Branshen said:
    I can certainly feel when a progression has a minor feel to it but cannot get my head around what makes a progression A natural minor, and not C major.
    this is interesting...
    the killer thing to listen out for is what chord feels lie 'home'..
    the chord the the music feels that it wants to resolve to [or end on] when the song / chord progression etc completes..
    if that chord is a major chord then you're likely in a major key, and likewise if it is a minor chord..

there are three chords to really look out for: I, IV and V
    in any key these three chords have a very strong, almost anchoring effect on the key..
    forget modes and screwy jazz stuff right now.. just thinking in terms of the basics..
    if these three chords are major, you are in a major key, and a minor key if these are all minor chords..

the way to not get your ear into this is to switch between C and Am [the relative minor]
    this is because they share the same note pool, and so it's not so obvious to hear and feel the difference..
    if you keep the root notes the same for I, IV and V and then switch the chords from major to minor, the tonal effect is far stronger..
    for example:
    in the key of A: A, D and E
    in the key of Am: Am, Dm and Em

the difference in sound and feel should now be far stronger because these keys are not in anyway related to each other
    play every note as if it were your first
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Have a look at jazz standards in minor keys, for instance the start of 'My Favourite Things'

or 'My Funny Valentine'.

https://musescore.com/ericfontainejazz/my-funny-valentine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'd say learn some minor key songs. Lucky by Radiohead and Girl by The Beatles come to mind

Most groove based music is in a minor key, Billy Jean, Cissy Strut, erm Teddy Picker Arctic Monkeys
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Great ideas all round. Thanks guys. Will have to reprogram my thinking and this will help. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Clarky said:

the way to not get your ear into this is to switch between C and Am [the relative minor] this is because they share the same note pool, and so it's not so obvious to hear and feel the difference..
    if you keep the root notes the same for I, IV and V and then switch the chords from major to minor, the tonal effect is far stronger..
    for example:
    in the key of A: A, D and E
    in the key of Am: Am, Dm and Em

I was going to say precisely this! So I’ll say it anyway, though not as well as Clarky :)

Don’t compare C major to A minor. It’s the worst possible way of detecting the difference between major and minor because the two keys are such close relatives. 

Do:

Take A major and really listen to its major 3rd - the C# note. 

Then take A minor and really listen to its minor 3rd - the C note. 

Listen to them a billion times and get it into your brain how different those two tonalities sound. That 3rd is THE official distinguisher between major and minor. (other notes have an influence too but none so much as the 3rd)

There’s a really good little piano piece that rams the difference home but I can’t for the life of me remember its name. It’ll come back to me. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Thanks @Clarky and @viz. Really really helpful tips. 
    edited February 2020
    Of course! The piece I meant was Kabalevsky’s Clowns: 

You get the first 3 notes of the major scale, then minor scale, then major, then minor again. Gives you a good feel for the sounds of each. 

https://youtu.be/iD2aAFuNauY
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited February 2020
    Branshen said:
    Thanks @Clarky and @viz. Really really helpful tips. 
    no probs matey

play every note as if it were your first
    viz said:
    Of course! The piece I meant was Kabalevsky’s Clowns: 

You get the first 3 notes of the major scale, then minor scale, then major, then minor again. Gives you a good feel for the sounds of each. 

https://youtu.be/iD2aAFuNauY
    I think my mistake was exactly as first highlighted by Clarky. Switching from Major to relative minor is not the way to go about learning the difference in sound between major and minor. This is a brilliant example, this is a really bipolar piece if I've ever heard one. Thanks viz!
    Certainly is!