WezV Q1'20 challenge

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    BigMonka said:
     =) woo hoo a Wez build thread!! 
    oh, its not a build just yet.   that will come later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    I used a Toronado bridge on one of mine and as you say it fits the scratchplate cutout perfectly, I cinverted  the bridgeplate to three Wilkinson Compensated Tele saddles and used the original intonation screw holes a s string throughs - theres just enough angle over the saddles. proper Mustang trem could be an issue as the body is thin....
    hmm.  real mustangs are thinner than other fenders at 1.5".  the squier is listed at 35mm, so about 1.4".   I think the trem needs 1.25" routes..   it is doable and should leave about 4mm, which is thin, but not really an issue on a small thin spring route.... but really i know i wont like the trem so its work for no reason.

I did consider leaving it as a top loader, but i think stringing through the body improves the feel and tuning stability.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Should be done by the end of the weekend then
    ;)

i might get the first bits done this weekend.    Might now be moving house in two weeks so the rest may have to wait
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder what a Schaller Hannes bridge would look like on there...!
    I wonder what a Schaller Hannes bridge would look like on there...!
    my main issue would be the price.   I'm willing to spend a few quid on this, but not that much.   It will get decent pickups just because i have them already
  • Aye - pretty stupid to spend +50% of the guitar’s value on the bridge alone!
    Aye - pretty stupid to spend +50% of the guitar’s value on the bridge alone!
    maybe, but its not going to stop me putting in a set of pickups that cost as much as the guitar did ;) 

My mojo  mustang pickup set is £120, or i have a pair of oil city mini-humbuckers which are about £180 now - but i spent all that ages ago :)
    edited February 2020
    The other bridge option i am considering is using a mustang bridge for the plate only, remove all the trem gubbins totally.   

something like this would be ideal

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent! :)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    So happy to see you coming back into the fray Wez ! Might need to fling the Gulf racing Steinberger neck back your way soon
    DrBob said:
    So happy to see you coming back into the fray Wez ! Might need to fling the Gulf racing Steinberger neck back your way soon
    Ah okay, what's happening with it?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    WezV said:
    DrBob said:
    Ah okay, what's happening with it?
    I did a less than stellar job of trying to dress the SS frets (didn’t actually need it, just wanted a practice at it) and where the maple neck wood had shrunk slightly in relation to the Richlite board I went through the finish on the neck sanding it back.
    Ah cool, yeah should be in a position to help out soon.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    WezV said:

Might now be moving house in two weeks so the rest may have to wait
    Congratulations!

New house with workshop potential, or will you be back working on the dining room table?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

Might now be moving house in two weeks so the rest may have to wait
    Congratulations!

New house with workshop potential, or will you be back working on the dining room table?
    Definite potential, but I'm gonna split things up a bit rather than have one space.

It has a decent sized summer house I will keep for large power tools and messy work.  I have a spare bedroom which will be an indoor workshop for fretting,a glueing, assembly etc. The loft is all boarded out, insulated and easily accessible for wood storage.  And yes, there will undoubtedly be a dining room table covered in projects :)

I may add a second outbuilding for spray work further down the line.

My most prolific period was when I had a spare bedroom as a workshop.  It just made it so easy to pop in for a few minutes and get small jobs done.   
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited February 2020
    I’m liking that top-loaded mustang plate, certainly suits it!
    It's definitely not Poplar, bit is is solid wood and no  sign of a veneer cap

Looks like meranti from the neck pocket

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So far i have sanded back the neck and done the fretwork

before shots of neck

I asked off the logo, not on the back though so it has lost its serial number.... Must be stolen ;)

Almost looks like a  proper fender decal 

after fretwork.  very little was needed on the levelling, just 3 slightly high frets... i have seen a lot worse on expensive guitars.