Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

We have lost one of our own! BJ @Bigjon - Funeral detail added.

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
edited February 2020 in Tributes
I am deeply saddened to learn that our own Big Jon Kingsman passed away suddenly on Saturday morning. His wife Lara has just posted on the other fb. I cant quite process this yet, but to those that met him at jams or in the cambridge cartel will know what a warm generous and highly talented musician and human being he was.
May you now rest in peace BJ
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited February 2020
    This is terrible, awful news, I’m so shocked and saddened. I can’t take it in. Man, BJ, you will be missed and always loved by your many many friends and family. Condolences and best wishes to those he left behind xxxxxx
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Jon came to the first Jam I organised at Quad. 

Those who went will remember just how talented he was. How gracious he was in getting everyone involved, and just how kind he was to everyone who played. 

He really was a special guy who went out of his way to make that day absolutely superb. He made an impression on all of us I’m sure we won’t forget. 

Rest well, Jon.. you really were a very special guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    I never met him, but what I saw and read on here he seemed a top bloke. A gifted and knowledgeable musician who always took the time to answer questions and help people out.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh shit, awful news. I met him at the first Quad jam, talented guy for sure. 

So long Big Jon. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    He really helped me out at the first Quad Jam, I was way out of my depth, but he lead the two songs we played together and encouraged me to have another go at a solo. That’s the only time I met him, but I fondly remember that day.
    RIP Big Jon.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Terrible news  :'(  RIP, and thoughts with his loved ones.  Like Vim, I never met him but was always impressed by his selfless willingness to help anyone.

• Like others have said, I only met him in person the once, at the Quad jam, but he made a significant impact on me. His generosity with his time and his clear love of music greatly improved the event for so many of us.

Rest well big man with a tiny guitar. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Same here, met Jon at the first Quad jam.

Incredibly supportive and talented guy.

Very sad news, RIP Jon.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Very sad news. We never met but I always enjoyed his input and playing and he seemed a really lovely guy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • This is sad news, RIP
  • Very sad news.
    It's not a competition.
  • Never met him - but he seemed unbelievably generous in sharing his very considerable knowledge.  Very sorry to read this. RIP.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    edited February 2020
    I'd just had a PM from @gapiro ;;;; - tagging you here so you can read, and pass on, some of the thoughts and comments here to Jon's family.

I met him at the first Quad jam, talented guy for sure. 

I gave Jon a lift to/from that session. 

One of my memories of him is of him trying to fold himself up to fit into my car.  He managed it, but only by keeping his knee pressed against a couple of the buttons on the door - the central locking spent most of the journey locking, unlocking, locking, unlocking, locking ...

The other memory will be of him stepping in to play and sing on just about anything and everything that was played on that day, that needed someone to jump in and play or sing.  His musical knowledge and capability was vast and totally unshowy.  

I know he had strong religious beliefs - just hope that he packed his little guitar (let's be honest, any guitar was "little" when played by Jon) for his trip upstairs and finds some new bandmates to play with there.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Oh wow, how awful.

RIP BJ.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited February 2020
     Very sad news and I was another who'd never met Jon but we can all be in no doubt how much of a positive force he was around here and for us.

R.I.P. Big Jon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I never met BJ .Deepest sympathy to  his family friends and all.
  • Seemed like a nice chap.. sold him some GT mags a while back..  RIP
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Really sad to hear.

I had the pleasure of meeting him. 

A really lovely chap, a mine of knowledge, and a fantastic contributor to this site. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    A fellow alan holdsworth and alan murphy fan ... very sad news .... how fragile we are ... ;(
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Really sad news.
    His "chord of the week" threads were amazing - so much knowledge that he was just so generous with passing on. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has been rescued a couple of times by the songs from his one-chord-progression songs thread!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.