Brook 12 String - so it begins....

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
After a visit down to Devon last year and a lovely morning spent with Simon et. al. of Brook guitars, we decided on the cocobolo and Aussie Huon pine combination, set to a Gibson jumbo shape (a new model for Brook, named Blackwater).
I received an email from Simon today with a couple of photo's of the build so far. I hope I'm not taking too much of a liberty in posting them here. From his email, the cocobolo (which is much lighter in colour than I was expecting, but is obviously far from finishing stages) has a tone not unlike Braz Rosewood, and the top has a bright tap tone too.

Anyway, here's a front and back piccy of the work so far, and to say Im excited is a bit of an understatement!

https://imgur.com/tKdUT15.jpg

https://imgur.com/sY5o0S1.jpg

Cheers.
Adam
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Looks great Adam - and really good they could use your Aussie pine for the top too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Cheers - I really dont think they would have used it had they not been happy to do so, and it is refreshing to chat to them without the usual internet 'wisdom' regarding woods interfering :)

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's gonna play/sound/feel and be awesome! From another Brook owner! 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    12 strings? that'll be, like, twice as good!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    12 strings? that'll be, like, twice as good!!!
    Duuude. Totallly!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Love the look of that! Has it got a very wide lower? Or is it the angle 
    To be honest, Im not sure what the exact dimensions are, but it is based on the Gibson J-185. There's a small piece about the model on the latest Brook newsletter
    https://www.brookguitars.com/WhatsNew/latest-news.html

Think of it (I think) as a slightly smaller J-200. 

Adam

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Kalimna said:
    Cheers - I really dont think they would have used it had they not been happy to do so, and it is refreshing to chat to them without the usual internet 'wisdom' regarding woods interfering :)

Adam
    FYI - I was there 2 weeks ago to finalise the spec and select the woods for my Brook Cary nylon-strung crossover (spruce top, nicely figured ebony back and sides). My custom Taw, which I picked up in October, continues to delight!
    These Brooks can get rather addictive, cant they? I had my eye on Simons rosewood/spruce parlour-size wheen we visited last year. I think that might be my next one :)

Adam
  • It looks great. I do love Cocobolo ( must admit that I have never seen it in quite that light configuration ). In a good 6 string it always produces good separation and clear bass. In a twelve it could ( and I hope ) be heavenly .
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Very nice.
    I am probably the only person here who has been to Huonville, Tasmania. 
    I grew up there.

I've not heard of Huon pine being used as a guitar wood before.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Huon isnt a common wood at all, but there is precedent for its use as a soundboard.
    When its finished, im sure being played by a local would add a fine note to the story :)
    This particular cocobolo had a very glassy tap tone as b&s plates. I think it may well come together as you suggest, Artiebear - heres hoping!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Kalimna said:
    Huon isnt a common wood at all, but there is precedent for its use as a soundboard.
    When its finished, im sure being played by a local would add a fine note to the story :)
    That sounds like a fine idea. :)
  • octatonic said:
    Very nice.
    I am probably the only person here who has been to Huonville, Tasmania. 
    I grew up there.

I've not heard of Huon pine being used as a guitar wood before.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Back in the 90's my touring guitar tech came from Tasmania. He was great with guitars ( apart from Camden Town Hall when he handed me a locking trem guitar a semi tone out for our encore, a bad night as Simon Mayo watched on as my ex had a melt down regarding my many foibles ah memories ) Back to he who shall remain nameless, great tech but very scary at a roundabout ( hey guys, 45mph, what happens here ?) Also to his credit, walked across the stage naked during an encore at Bristol Colston Hall.  A proper Tasmanian, I salute him  :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Jaw drop moment - going to be a beauty !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    It's gonna play/sound/feel and be awesome! From another Brook owner! 
    Seconded, from another. A completely different beast to my Lyn, of course, but that back and top look fantastic! Keep up posted on the build :)
    Well, a brief update on the guitar. Body/neck has been sanded, sprayed and is ready for polishing. I had a discussion with Simon at Brook regarding a headstock inlay, and we decided upon a photo i took a couple of years ago on a forrest walk of myself, my wife Marie and our 2 boys, Isaac and Sebastian. It seemed an appropriate choice given the nature of the guitar.
    Anyway, here is the photo Simon sent me. Not the clearest, but gives a good idea of the cocobolo and inlay. To say im excited is an understatement indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/1zDvaUJ.jpg

Adam
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Aaaaahhhhjj hahaha :D