Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Condensing down to 1. THE guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I could go to one electric (my Tele) without any issue - I also have a PRS which is great but I would get along fine without it. Would still have to have an acoustic as well ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    I seem to have settled with two. Fano SP6 standard. P90 in the neck and Tele Bridge. Fabulous chunky neck. Takes all my telecaster needs and then some. My second is a Feline Blues Cat. Takes care of all my LP/humbucker needs, and then some. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited February 2020
    I currently have five electrics of which two (Strat and Tele) get regularly played. I could easily live with just those two but would struggle to go down to only one.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2020
    You can't go wrong with a Telecaster AND a Les Paul. From a recording perspective, these two guitars give you plenty of colour, light & shade.

For a single guitar solution I would go with a 60's style Statocaster.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Anti-GAS Puritanical Blasphemy !!!!!!

Have as many or as few as you like !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    A 335 with prs style coil split/taps a la DGT and a bigsby. Covers almost all tonal bases that one
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Increasingly I’m seeming to settle on my Suhr GG and Anderson Drop Top for electric  duties, if that means that I’ll sell my Jazzmaster and Telecaster, who knows 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Because I'm more interested in sounds, production & songwriting, and the guitar is just one of the main tools I use to write and play songs, I don't have an ideal one guitar I'd be happy with.

I've never had more than 3 decent electrics on the go at any one time (no big rule there, it's mostly been a financial constraint) but they've always been there to cover different tonal bases and more importantly to bring out different styles and inspirations when I'm working on new stuff. I really think if I only had one, I'd end up frustrated at the things it couldn't do and start hating it. That's probably a reflection on my personality.

I'd maybe go so far as to say that my Explorer is the one I'm most fond of, because it's a great workhorse. Stays in tune, easy to play, and looks cool + it's the guitar I associate most with a decade of regular live shows.

But... I don't resent its limitations because I can put it down and pick up, say, a Strat when I want a sharper, quicker attack, spank, out of phase sounds, a trem arm and a totally different playing experience. If I didn't have the possibility of Strat sounds, I'd get really tired of the Explorer.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Good thread.
    I have a strat, a tele, a LP and a PRS. If I had to keep one, it would be a very close call between the 2003 LP standard and the PRS Paul's Guitar. I think the LP would just edge it. I played the LP and nothing else for years, and i know how to get almost any tone I want out of it. A lot more versatile than believed. I am tempted by the new LPs with the coil tap, but experience makes me feel that coil taps are largely unnecessary really. You can get the same sort of vibe by playing a bit differently and farting around with settigns on the guitar.

The PRS is lovely though, very nice to play, but I think I just prefer the LP by a whisker. 
  • LP with coil taos would do me.

Although obviously you also need a bass and an acoustic
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having only two guitars, I don't have any problems downsizing as such but, if forced to choose only one, I'd struggle to decide whether to keep my Tele or D28. I'd probably plump for the purity of the acoustic as an only guitar, even though I find the electric easier to play. 
  • I think reading all these replies, it's dawned on me that I've owned so many different guitars that I don't need to anymore.

Teenage Pieman lusted after Jaguars, Jazzmasters and Rickenbackers. Then he bought them, played them for a bit and eventually sold them on.

I've owned maybe 50 guitars? I don't know, I'll sit down one day and work it out. But I've owned enough that I know what I DON'T want anymore. I don't really want another Ricky, for example. That's quite a powerful de-GASing agent in itself.

In terms of getting rid, did anyone ever get something ridiculously cheap? Like hundreds cheaper than it should be? Let's say a couple of my guitars are worth £800 each but I got them for 2-300 each. I'm keeping those because even though I could sell them for a song, they're almost worth more to me as bargains, particularly as I use them... Does that make sense? Not sure I'm articulating that point very well...
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I think the way to do it is to keep buying more guitars so that you can truly test them all side by side for an extended period of time, so that maybe one day in the distant future you might decide which one you really want to keep.
    That's how I do it anyway,
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Realistically I could have just one guitar - of each type I use -

Electric solidbody
    Semi-acoustic
    Acoustic 6-string
    Acoustic 12-string

And for bass -

Fretted
    Fretless

Which is pretty much what I've got, except that I have one too many solidbodies. I end up making them all sound the same anyway - or trying to...

I'd like to do something along those lines eventually, but I quite like having a bit variety but mine would be

6 String Acoustics (x2, 12 fret & 14 fret)
    12 string acoustic (x1)
    Flamenco guitar (x1)
    Electric Guitar (x2 one for with single coils, one with HB's)

I'm 1 or 2 instruments over in each row (aside from 12 string acoustic) and electrics where I really need to shift a few things.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I could manage this just one guitar easily, especially as "bash it and make noises" is my play style.

Fucked if I'm going to do anything other than exactly what I want to do though, life is too short.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    This is an interesting thread. I'm currently struggling with the need to collect and the need to get rid of guitars and play just one or two and learn to play better! Below is what the 'guitar room' used to look like (and that's just one side of it!) but I'm down to half a dozen now. I keep thinking I've found 'the one', but I haven't yet. The pic was taken about three years ago, and I've bought and sold over a hundred since then. I'm a sick, sick man.

However, I've got a 1976 Antoria L5 copy which is superb, a 1953 ES-295 and a 1963 Guild Capri, all are which are lovely guitars. Then there's an R6, A Taylor 322e, A Tele, etc - I just don't need them, but they're very nice. ~Then I'm off to see a 1955 ES-150, which I really don't need. Then there's a B&G Little Sister Private Build thingy turning up in a couple of months.

It's a battle between GAS and learning - I don't think I'd be happy with one, but the three that I mentioned are (at the moment) as close to perfect for me as they can be.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    This is an interesting thread. I'm currently struggling with the need to collect and the need to get rid of guitars and play just one or two and learn to play better! Below is what the 'guitar room' used to look like (and that's just one side of it!) but I'm down to half a dozen now. I keep thinking I've found 'the one', but I haven't yet. The pic was taken about three years ago, and I've bought and sold over a hundred since then. I'm a sick, sick man.

However, I've got a 1976 Antoria L5 copy which is superb, a 1953 ES-295 and a 1963 Guild Capri, all are which are lovely guitars. Then there's an R6, A Taylor 322e, A Tele, etc - I just don't need them, but they're very nice. ~Then I'm off to see a 1955 ES-150, which I really don't need. Then there's a B&G Little Sister Private Build thingy turning up in a couple of months.

It's a battle between GAS and learning - I don't think I'd be happy with one, but the three that I mentioned are (at the moment) as close to perfect for me as they can be.

I've seen shops with less nice stock than that - Some cool kit in there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1 said:

Wow this looks *exactly* like my box room, except I'm missing about 20 guitars, nice one :)
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    It doesn't look like that now, Mark - actually, on the right are the Lucille and the blue 6120 that I bought from you. There were some cheapies in there as well - I had a bit of a fixation with Aria FA-70's and FA-71's at the time, and there are three or four there. People kept offering them to me and I kept forgetting to say 'no'.

There was a 52 reissue Tele, a 40th Anniversary '54 reissue Strat, a '57 reissue Strat, the 335, Lucille, an ES-175 and ES-125, the 6120, White Falcon, a Country Club, a 1953 Streamliner (I think), a 1959 Roger Junior with a neck like a tree, my manky trusty old Columbus and my Grabber bass. Plenty of Epis and Arias plus a Peerless something or other in the middle, a Jim Dandy and a Rockingham. I think there were a rack of Gibsons peeping out from behind the door, but can't remember now.
    Call me Dave.
  • I have The 1

the one Tele, the one strat, the one les Paul, the one....

you get the point
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom