RIP Kirk Douglas

Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22723
One of the last of the REAL Hollywood stars.  But by gosh he had a good innings.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    A true screen legend.

He’ll probably be best remembered for Spartacus, but The Vikings was the first film I remember seeing him in, and still probably my favourite of his roles... wildly over the top and larger than life.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22723
    The Vikings for me too.  It's been one of my favourite films for as long as I can remember.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    So many great roles, The Bad and the Beautiful is a standout, as is Spartacus, Ace in the Hole... the list is endless. 
  • Aww no that’s sad, he seemed to go on and on and was usually in great shape .
    yes So many good films . A particular favourite of mine besides Vikings was the heroes of telemark ,a fantastic film based on a true story . I also liked the one where his modern day aircraft carrier goes through some sort of wormhole and arrives complete with jet fighters in the time just prior to pearl harbour . 

• RIP to a legendary actor.

(Though I have to admit I thought he'd already died a few years ago..)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245

I also liked the one where his modern day aircraft carrier goes through some sort of wormhole and arrives complete with jet fighters in the time just prior to pearl harbour .
    The Final Countdown. (Sadly without theme by Europe ;).) Clever plot and a good role for him.

One thing you can say for sure, he didn’t let himself become typecast. There are very few films where he even plays the same sort of character - other than that most of them were fairly driven and intense. His real-life story before he became a star was amazing too... literally rags to riches.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 103. I tend to think of The Vikings, MrsTheWeary quotes bits of it from time to time. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Great actor - so many good films. Can't complain about an innings of 103!
    RIP
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    A legend !  RIP Kirk
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Amazing career. Came from poverty as well. 103 is an insane age!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    A life well lived RIP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ICBM said:

I also liked the one where his modern day aircraft carrier goes through some sort of wormhole and arrives complete with jet fighters in the time just prior to pearl harbour .
    The Final Countdown. (Sadly without theme by Europe ;).) Clever plot and a good role for him.

One thing you can say for sure, he didn’t let himself become typecast. There are very few films where he even plays the same sort of character - other than that most of them were fairly driven and intense. His real-life story before he became a star was amazing too... literally rags to riches.
    Yes it was great when the zero’s appeared And were instantly outclassed by some f14 tomcats or whatever was on board . It would be amazing to have the Europe song on there , must get some clips into iMovie one day lol
  • Was he in some funny kids treasure film called kangaroo jack too?  I vaguely remember Saturn 3 with Farrah fawcett and the mad robot
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Was he in some funny kids treasure film called kangaroo jack too?  I vaguely remember Saturn 3 with Farrah fawcett and the mad robot
    I think it was called Cactus Jack (not to be confused with the wrestler). Watched it many times as a kid at my grandparents and made me piss myself with giggling. Also starred a very young Arnold Schwarzenegger.