Exercises for strengthening the little finger for the right hand picking.

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 492
Does anyone know any good exercises for strengthening the little finger for right hand picking?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 25064
    Try hybrid picking sweep picking exercises.
    I've hybrid picked for over 30 years now - the reality is the little finger will always be weaker but this exercise helps.
    Les miroirs ternis et les flammes mortes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 492
    edited February 7
    octatonic said:
    Try hybrid picking sweep picking exercises.
    I've hybrid picked for over 30 years now - the reality is the little finger will always be weaker but this exercise helps.

Many thanks, I will give some Hybrid picking exercises that use the little finger a try.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 782
    You know that warm up that we often do with the left hand - one finger per fret (say 5 6 7 8 th frets) and then play across the strings going 5678 5678 5678 etc, then changing to say 5768 5768 etc and other variations ...

do similar with right hand
    pick a string (say top e) and and play imac imac imac, then cami cami cami, then iamc iamc iamc, cmai cmai,  iicc iicc iicc, mmcc mmcc etc

i index, m middle, a ring, c little

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 492
    sev112 said:
    You know that warm up that we often do with the left hand - one finger per fret (say 5 6 7 8 th frets) and then play across the strings going 5678 5678 5678 etc, then changing to say 5768 5768 etc and other variations ...

do similar with right hand
    pick a string (say top e) and and play imac imac imac, then cami cami cami, then iamc iamc iamc, cmai cmai,  iicc iicc iicc, mmcc mmcc etc

i index, m middle, a ring, c little

Great stuff, just what I wanted pimac. Five fingers no pick.

I've been using a Holdsworth type Chord scale playing imac imac imac, then cami cami cami, then iamc iamc iamc, cmai cmai,  iicc iicc iicc, mmcc mmcc etc as you suggested. Many thanks.

It's not easy to keep the "a" ring finger still, when playing the "c" little finger. I've been using four fingers for a long time, but not the little finger. It's difficult.

Holdsworth type Chord Scale using "A" Aeolian:
    EBCA = Amin7
    FCDB = Bdim7
    GBDC = CMaj7
    AEFD = Dmin7
    BFGE = Emin7
    CGAF = FMaj7
     DABG = Gdom7

Thanks to BigJon for the great chord idea.