SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FT: 2013 Gibson USA Limited Edition "Tribute to Les Paul" '52RI All-Gold Goldtop PHOTOS ADDED

What's Hot
Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
edited March 2020 in Guitars £
Hi guys,

I have this and I'm not getting on with it. Bought new in December 2019 (it randomly came up on Thomann), this is a limited run of 400. In 2013 you could call in to claim a letter jacket and a book, but that promo is over so I don't have them. Gibson were unable to supply any more information.

It's all-gold and features a maple headstock cap laser-etched with Les's portrait, a gold-embossed pickguard with the man's signature and life-dates, and a chrome truss cover. It comes with a limited edition brown case and the usual stingy Gibson candy. 

Unlike the original '52s it has a post-53 neck angle which allows the strings to wrap over the tailpiece. The tailpiece is anchored only at the lower bout so the top is undrilled for any bridge fixings. It's non-weight-relieved and the body is one-piece, and it is quite heavy. The neck is a good handful but not a cricket bat. The pickups are the standard fat, throaty and sparkly Gibson P90s.

Condition-wise it has minor buckle rash and there's a 5mm flaw (from manufacture) in the paint on the near inner body curve next to the binding, which is barely vsible. Other than that it's pretty excellent, and again 100% stock from new.

I'll take and upload some pics of my personal one today but in the meantime here's a link to another one:

https://reverb.com/item/3486443-gibson-1952-les-paul-tribute-limitededition-bullion-gold-486

And a Trogly review:

Hard to put a specific sale value on these as they are G-USA (that Reverb guy is pushing his luck), however they are rare, so I'd guess a fair trade value of circa £1.8k.

Trade-wise I'm interested n the following - please assume I'm only after kit with a vintage style or feel.

Gibsons (e.g. older Les Paul Classics, "player-grade" CSRIs)
Fenders (e.g. CS or AVRI Strats & Teles)
Good valve combos
Good valve half-stacks (2x12 cabs preferred)
Surprise me

I'm in Preston and can drive if need be. Courier is an option as well.

Any questions shout at me.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know that laser etched face plate was a bit marmite for some but I always thought these looked super cool LP’s. Best of luck with the sale/trade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben1984Ben1984 Frets: 111
    I'm sure I seen one of these on ebay in the last few weeks looks like a very cool LP glwts or trade 
  • Ben1984 said:
    I'm sure I seen one of these on ebay in the last few weeks looks like a very cool LP glwts or trade 
    There was a completed sale that I found but it was from the States, where most of these ended up. I tried to find out how many of the 400 were ex-US but Gibson were characteristically unhelpful. The one I bought last year was the only one I'd seen for UK sale since I saw one in Dawson's in Manchester about five years ago.

There was also a limited run of similar guitars in 2009 but they didn't have the same specs. Those ones are I think more sought-after.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I saw one in Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk last year,  but it's the only one that I've seen in the flesh, so to speak.
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    I saw one in Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk last year,  but it's the only one that I've seen in the flesh, so to speak.
    Actually you know what, I was in there not long ago and mentioned it and the young dude who teaches classical guitar told me they'd had one in.
  • Ben1984Ben1984 Frets: 111
    Ben1984 said:
    There was a completed sale that I found but it was from the States, where most of these ended up. I tried to find out how many of the 400 were ex-US but Gibson were characteristically unhelpful. The one I bought last year was the only one I'd seen for UK sale since I saw one in Dawson's in Manchester about five years ago.

There was also a limited run of similar guitars in 2009 but they didn't have the same specs. Those ones are I think more sought-after.

Gibson are never helpful with numbers there customer service pales in comparison to fenders when it comes to info on past runs imho .... Just looked there's one in Warrington that one's £2k they look great 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    DB1 said:
    Actually you know what, I was in there not long ago and mentioned it and the young dude who teaches classical guitar told me they'd had one in.

It was probably about this time last year that I saw it, I think. I was looking for an R6 at the time - yes, I think the Reverb chap is pushing it a bit, but I think that the one at SAP was north of £2000, so yours looks very fairly priced.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Still up.

I will be in a position to add cash towards the end of the month if anyone wants this and has something pricey to trade.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Hi guys,

Sorry to drag up this zombie post but I've lately spent some time with my rig and concluded that as awesome as Gibsons are (they are, they are), this LP is not going to get any action, so someone else should enjoy it. Please refer to my OP for deets. I'm lazy so still haven't taken proper pics but I will do at the w/e.

I will straight-trade for Fender American Vintage series or similar. I will add cash for CS Fenders. Just guitars for this one please guys. Thanks!
  • What a pity... I have been looking for one like this for years... but that faceplate puts me off completely
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8787
    What a pity... I have been looking for one like this for years... but that faceplate puts me off completely
    The rest of the guitar is sexy as fuck but I agree re the headstock thing. Refin?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    I don't disagree, the headstock is a, shall we say, unique choice. Horses for courses though.
    Quick bump:

I'm broadening my trade criteria to include basically any guitar of equivalent value (£1.8k +), or higher value to which I will add cash. I will still consider less valuable guitars plus cash, but I'm probably not going to want your Squier Affinity.

I will also sell for same OVNO.

Also, PHOTOS! https://imgur.com/gallery/v06m7Fa

Hi guys,

Gonna try this again, but from a much broader perspective.

I've acquired a few itch-scratching things since this was last up, so I'm a bit more open now, but I'm specifically looking for trades, and in this instance I'm especially interested in 7-string, 8-string, fan-fret and so on. Not 100% sure what I'm looking for so try me, and I might go for something that isn't that so you never know.

Value wise it's as above, at the moment I'd prefer not to add cash although for the right guitar I'll certainly consider it. If your guitar was noticeably less than £1,800 new you'll have to add cash for mine, though.

If you have an Ibanez RGIF7 or 8, let me know.

Photos in previous post.

Thanks!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1084
    The headstock is so wrong it's right! It really made me laugh from pure WTF after scrolling down and I mean that in a genuinely nice way. This is a unique guitar and if I was a collector I would add this to my collection. GLWTS.
    Now traded pending exchange.

Thanks.
    Traded now. Thanks all!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8787
    I believe I’ve Just spotted this for sale on Facebook :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:
    I saw that this morning from my favourite “Hey guys, here we have...” Facebook flipper. 
  • JerkMoans said:
    I saw that this morning from my favourite “Hey guys, here we have...” Facebook flipper. 
    Not Mr Ramsey?