Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What P? (decided on MJT!)

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited February 2020
    H1 series is a precursor of the current American Performer series. Essentially, Asian hardware on USA lumber, finished in nitro-cellulose. 

As on any Fender, drop-in replacement parts can be sourced easily. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arse. The H1 has already sold through the shop, who hadn’t updated their reverb page. Will keep looking...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Anyone tried a Nash? They're about the same price as the Fenders Original series, but with modern necks, Lollar pickup and a tad of relicing. A bit more than I'd necessarily planned to spend but they look lovely and I don't mind stretching if they're unanimously seen as excellent
  • Also, how fucking good does this sound?? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxY35fp1aU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    Also, how fucking good does this sound?? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxY35fp1aU
    The band's channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrpnRsW8LjvJG8BnPXYQpJw

Quite a few vids.
  • Ah nice - will happily go through all of those.

I'd be happy buying one of those Sean Hurley CS basses if it weren't for the huge neck and hilarious price tag!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    At the end of the day a P bass is even more simple than a Telecaster.

There's no excuse for some of the prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Also, how good does this sound?
    I could happily work with that. In a blindfold comparison test, it would satisfy even the snottiest of "purists".

What say you, @Bridgehouse ? ;)
  • At the end of the day a P bass is even more simple than a Telecaster.

There's no excuse for some of the prices.
    Yeah, I've also got an MJT build on a list of potential options, as I'm sure I could put it together and set up perfectly well. I just don't want to wait that long for them to build it...!
    Ah nice - will happily go through all of those.

I'd be happy buying one of those Sean Hurley CS basses if it weren't for the huge neck and hilarious price tag!
    There's a grand worth of Nobel Preamp in the chain as well. And then an Aguilar rig.

Ultimately though - a good B15 (or a simulation as some are REALLY good now), a P bass, flatwounds, and some foam under the strings and you are there.
  • Ah nice - will happily go through all of those.

There's a grand worth of Nobel Preamp in the chain as well. And then an Aguilar rig.

Ultimately though - a good B15 (or a simulation as some are REALLY good now), a P bass, flatwounds, and some foam under the strings and you are there.
    Yeah, I didn't work out what the preamp was but it looked expensive and i'm already aware of Aguilar stuff. Aiming to keep that side of everything very simple at this point, though this will likely push me into the HX Stomp I've already been thinking about for guitar. 

But I have no intention of getting into that side of things in depth until I have an instrument I'm happy with and got the basics more comfortable. 
    The Helix model for the B15 is excellent. and for the SVT4.
    The regular SVT is a bit crap though for some reason. But there is an Aguilar DB751 model in there and that's great.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Also, how good does this sound?
    I could happily work with that. In a blindfold comparison test, it would satisfy even the snottiest of "purists".

What say you, @Bridgehouse ? ;)
    Yep - superb tone.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It’s all in the fingers btw...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    edited February 2020
    I’m willing to bet that just like with guitars and drums, that is 90% true, but having at least approximately the right gear helps too. But I’m under no illusions that having the right notes, timing, groove and feel are the name of the game.

It’s also why I’m mostly focused on getting a bass my fingers are happy with, cos then I’ll want to play it more

La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats. 

I’m not a fan really. Prefer the bit more mids of Thomastiks. Bit more versatile. 
  • Ta, will definitely be putting flats on whatever I end up with. And I might ever experiment with different sets, over the course of several years!
    I’m willing to bet that just like with guitars and drums, that is 90% true but having at least approximately the right gear helps too. 
    Shameless poser that I am, I once took my Fender Relic Nocaster to an open mic evening. The chap supplying the bass amplification was late arriving so, for a few songs, I faked the bass parts on the neck pickup of my guitar with the tone control rolled down. 

Shortly afterwards, another guitarist was having difficulties with his guitar. To save time and keep the music flowing, I offered him the loan of my Nocaster. He made it sound toneless and out of tune. When he finished his turn, he gave me the Paddington Bear Stare, as if I had deliberately put the guitar out of tune to make him sound/look bad. Truth was, he did not know that an uncompensated three-saddle bridge T requires subtle string bends to keep in tune.
  • Argh... tried to buy a lovely sunburst Nash and been told it can’t be shipped from the US for less than $500, which is bonkers as I had a Les Paul shipped for half that a year ago, so that’s not happening. 

Bah!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    Right, after much fuckery I now realise I can't satisfy the "I want it now" urge, so I'm going MJT and getting everything I want. That will also give me less handwringing later if I decide I want to change something , as it'll already be a partscaster ("part-cision bass"??).