Lyle Mays

What's Hot
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/noted-jazz-keyboardist-lyle-mays-dies-at-66/

Almost as gutted at this as I was by Neil... to me Lyle was the absolute quintessential modern jazz keyboardist. He could do jazz piano in the classical sense but he was equally at home on a Prophet V and he was probably one of very few people of his generation who could bring something genuinely new to the genre. RIP sir, glad I saw you play once. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• love his playing on this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    :(
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Sad news. I have a shedload of Pat Metheny records stretching back to my vinyl days. I'll probably stick the Way up and Still life talking on tomorrow at work, Great records. Pat and Lyle were really good together.

RIP Lyle. Thanks for some amazing music.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2020
    That's very sad news and I saw him many times with the Pat Metheny Band.

Hugely talented, 11 time Grammy Winner and deeply touched by some of his pieces over the years which are termed jazz but they're like film scores or neo-classical pieces.

Don't forget the song 'This is not America' by David Bowie and the PMB and that came from the excellent film 'The Falcon and the Snowman'

I'll leave you with the lovely 'Letter from Home' -

RIP Lyle

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Just read this quote, which is rather depressing:

In his later years, Mays worked as a software manager. In a 2016 interview with Jazziz, Mays explained that 

“It’s not that I have a real desire to leave the music industry – I kind of feel like the music industry has left me. Or left all of us. I’ve gone where the economy’s gone,” he added. “People don’t want to pay for music anymore. I could be bitter about that, but I have other interests and other skills, so I’ve moved on.”

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Well @axisus Vito Bratta of White Lion did a similar thing.

Obviously, LM is a man of many talents and I recall reading that PMG played over 300 dates a year, normally for over 2 hours and with no support. It's full on stuff that they've been doing for over 30 years.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited February 2020
    Just saw this. Sad news indeed. I've been a bit of a fan of his playing and composition since buying American Garage by the Pat Metheny band in the late 70s. He created such beautiful chords phrasings, almost otherworldly.  
    JohnCordy said:
    love his playing on this
    And this is just an extraordinarily brilliant musical journey, my favourite PMG album.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"