Acoustic guitar strings and Allergies......

What's Hot
Has anyone got an allergy to metals used in Acoustic strings? 

I haven't been to the doctors yet, so bare with me, but I seem to be developing an allergy and it when I'm playing guitar that's causing problems. I'm only playing acoustic at the moment, picking an electric up maybe once every few weeks. 

I think its Zinc content. I put some 80/20 (so %20 Zinc content - I checked with the manufacture), I'm sneezing and have saw eyes within 5 mins, my fingers feel like they're burning in a mild acid after half hour or so. Back to PB strings and I still sneeze a little, but my fingers are fine even after a few hours. Admittedly it doesn't help that I have a stinker of a cold at the moment, but I've noticed the sneezing and saw eyes for the last few months now.

Seems the Newtone PB strings still have Zinc in them according to Neil Silverman at Newtone, though only a small amount.  
There must be a manufacture that doesn't use Zinc. I'll do anything I can to not use Elixirs, but fear that may be my only choice as they're covered in bloody plastic. I've never got on with Monels/Nickle acoustic strings personally...

I've heard of Nickle allergies and people using Stainless strings, but Electric strings don't seem to cause me issues. I know if I have a cheep belt buckle it can cause me irritations to the skin, so I don't think I'm going mad. 

Interested to hear if anyone else has a problem. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    I think I have developed an allergy to nickel and possibly chrome recently - I've always suffered allergies to various (sometimes unidentified) things, but this is much worse than usual and mostly affects my right hand where it rests on the bridge or strings when palm-muting - and the pickup cover (which is chrome plated) of my Rickenbacker bass... very frustrating and annoying.

I'm also going to have to consider different strings I think. I've already taken the cover off the bass, which seems to have helped, but I still had a bit of a reaction after band last night.

If you don't like Elixirs - I can't stand them either - try DR Dragon Skin, they're the only coated strings I've tried that I can get on with. They feel odd at first but it wears off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited February 2020
    Coronavirus  :)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18678
    As you'll already be very aware, nickel allergy is common, but is also associated with sensitivity reactions to other metals/alloys, mainly chromium and cobalt.
    I know of several instances where using clear nail varnish as a barrier between skin & nickel containing material (spectacle frames, watches) worked well as a barrier.
    Is spraying the offending guitar parts with clear laquer an option?
    I'm definitely not promoting nitro over polyester here for better tone  ;)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    is it the wound strings or the unwound ones that are causing the problem?

• ICBM said:
    I think I have developed an allergy to nickel and possibly chrome recently - I've always suffered allergies to various (sometimes unidentified) things, but this is much worse than usual and mostly affects my right hand where it rests on the bridge or strings when palm-muting - and the pickup cover (which is chrome plated) of my Rickenbacker bass... very frustrating and annoying.

I'm also going to have to consider different strings I think. I've already taken the cover off the bass, which seems to have helped, but I still had a bit of a reaction after band last night.

If you don't like Elixirs - I can't stand them either - try DR Dragon Skin, they're the only coated strings I've tried that I can get on with. They feel odd at first but it wears off.
    Thanks for the info. Hope you get it sorted! Will take a look at the DR dragon skins. Not tried these before. 

Is spraying the offending guitar parts with clear laquer an option?
    I'm definitely not promoting nitro over polyester here for better tone  ;)
    Think I may as well get some plastic coated Elixirs if that's the case ;) 
    is it the wound strings or the unwound ones that are causing the problem?

Bit hard to tell, but I'm assuming it's the wounds. The 80/20 hammered me compared to most PB.

Admittedly there a lot of assumption on my part, I realise I need to go and get it checked out ultimately - Just trying to work it out a little better in the mean time. Christ, I couldn't get an appointment for at least two weeks at my GP. 
    does it help if you use hand cream 15 mins before playing?
  • does it help if you use hand cream 15 mins before playing?
    Not even considered that to be honest. I’ll ask the wife for some :)
    I have no idea if it's better/worse with dry hands, sweaty hands or any hands, just thinking of ideas
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Gloves ? ;)

no, semi seriously, could try experiment with latex gloves of various thickness
    actually not latex, lots of people are allergic - nitrile?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18678
    edited February 2020
    My comments were more aimed toward at ICBM for the metal guitar components, rather than the strings, but I didn't make that clear. Doh!
    Have you considered string treatments like GHS Fast Fret, or maybe a little pure solid beeswax or violin rosin?
    Just thinking that it could possibly reduce the string contact a little without detriment to the tone (maybe...).
    Edit : https://nickelallergyguitar.wordpress.com/
    https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/working-around-a-nickel-allergy/
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432890

• My comments were more aimed toward at ICBM for the metal guitar components, rather than the strings, but I didn't make that clear. Doh!
    Have you considered string treatments like GHS Fast Fret, or maybe a little pure solid beeswax or violin rosin?
    Just thinking that it could possibly reduce the string contact a little without detriment to the tone (maybe...).
    Edit : https://nickelallergyguitar.wordpress.com/
    https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/working-around-a-nickel-allergy/
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432890

Thanks man, just reading those links. I’ve put the rattle cans down ;) 
  • Ffs. I hope it ain’t nickel...... 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I think my family have all developed guitar string allergies, every time I start playing they start wincing and holding their ears.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    edited February 2020
    ICBM said:

@ICBM ;;
    well just stuck some DR Dragon Skins on, I’m amazed. Yes they feel a little odd, especially the coated plains, but this is the first time I’ve put coated strings on anything and I haven’t wanted to cut the bloody things off immediately!! They sound pretty damn good already - after only 15 mins of playing. I know Elixirs settle down after a few days, but then they just sound like strings covered in plastic to me.

Fingers crossed these work out regarding allergies. So far they defo feel better as I’m not sneezing