Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Club

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
I've noticed on here we're all just swapping and selling the same guitars over and over again.

Would anyone be interested in a guitar club, where you effectively pay a monthly fee and get a guitar sent to you. When board you send it back and another on goes out? 

Would be a good GAS solution and kinder on the environment. 

Could include amps and pedals too. 

Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited February 2020
    It's an interesting idea. There's already an outfit that you can join and borrow pedals so I guess guitars is just an extension of that idea. I imagine that the main barrier is the financial outlay involved – if every member is going to have at least one quality guitar out at any one time, each member is going to have to contribute the equivalent of one guitar amortised over a reasonable period. That plus stuff like insurance, shipping, etc. probably means that the membership fee is going to have to be quite high to make it work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Isnt that basically how the classifieds works?

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited February 2020
    Sound Affects in Ormskirk do this already (or perhaps ‘did’?) with pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    Would also give those who can't afford the outlay on a custom guitar the opportunity to have one.

Additionally people wouldn't need to then have large collections, releasing capital and keeping the other halves happy. 

The guitars/amps/pedals would still hold an asset value at the end of their term and you could depreciate it over time on the books. So you wouldn't ever need to fully realise the cost of the guitars. The ongoing costs would be shipping, strings, setups etc. 

If this could be done for the cost of a typical gym membership, you'd think there would be interested. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    edited February 2020
    So who's gonna pay when someone drops my Custom Shop LP on its head and snaps the neck in half? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So who's gonna pay when someone drops my Custom Shop LP on its head and snaps the neck in half? 
    Academic. Coz you obviously aint joining.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Setups and string preferences kind of makes it potentially problematic. Not to mention when parcel force inevitable forgets a parcel in front of a bus.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    Don't forget the first rule of Guitar Club...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Would save me a fortune. I'm a pro at loosing money on guitars.
    I imagine the real world logistics would make it difficult as the reality of insurance needed to make it work would be impossible to get. Thinking in terms of how a car rental works
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    So who's gonna pay when someone drops my Custom Shop LP on its head and snaps the neck in half? 
    Academic. Coz you obviously aint joining.
    Depends on who's paying for it. 
  • Don't forget the first rule of Guitar Club...
    No Stairway?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Don't forget the first rule of Guitar Club...
    No Stairway?
    Bit crap if you live in a flat...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    So, let me get this straight, I give you a fiver a month, you give me a custom shop something or other? and an amp? I'm in! 

Can you send them to Nigeria?

My name is Russel, Russel Hobbs.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited February 2020
    I think it's something we should do more. Have XYZ you barely use, but don't want to sell it in case you ever need it? Always wanted to try XYZ but didn't want to pay the price to buy it only to end up falling out of love with it and sell it on at a huge loss?

I think a swap club or lending system would be pretty nice. Kinda like a bookswap club but for those of us who can't read.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9270
    This exists 

http://www.rareguitarclub.com/

I’d love a Fb version if anyone has deep enough pockets. Like @AlexO I waste a fortune on constant trading
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    You've just described my relationship with @mgaw and @DrCornelius, amongst others.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Guitars would be insured. So accidental damage would be covered. 

Guitars would be setup with your preferred std string gauge before shipping. 

Who cares if the R9 you have for 2 months has a bit of buckle rash, it's not yours. 

If you can rent a car, I can't see why you couldn't rent a guitar. I know they might seem precious to us, but a £2k outlay for a decent guitar, that would generate £50pm in revenue, is a 30% yield before cost. That's pretty decent for any asset.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    Barnezy said:

Who cares if the R9 you have for 2 months has a bit of buckle rash, it's not yours. 

If you can rent a car, I can't see why you couldn't rent a guitar.

Insured how? For what circumstances and by who? 

I guarantee you are not insured if you send a guitar to someone temporarily for money. They would view that as a business venture, which unless strictly specified and paid for, which would be relatively expensive would leave you uninsured and would be financially pointless and wouldn't leave you with whatever profit you've worked out. 

You would also be letting someone else who is not covered by your insurance take possession of it, which means you are not taking responsibility for it which means again, not insured. 

Also you generally need proof of purchase or a valuation receipt, or some kind of proof that you own something to get insurance on something, so again, it's not insured. 

Any other attempt to get round this when you have an issue like pretending you had it all along, or do own it when you don't, or blaming it on the courier would be insurance fraud and I'm not messing around with that and I can't imagine lots of others would either. So you'd end up with someone snapping the neck of a £2000 guitar and sending it back and denying it, or refusing to pay for it which would result in a massive shit storm. 

You would need a tailor made agreement with an insurance company set up to cover every instrument, or a company that owns them. I doubt you could realistically do it as an individual. 

Also, the owner cares when their product gets buckle rash and I guarantee people will get pissed when (if) they get it back and it's all fucked up. That's why you put a credit card down as a deposit on a car and pay shit loads when you scratch or dent it. If you rent instruments from a musical supplier it's the same thing. Big deposit or credit card on file, expensive temporary insurance and severe scrutiny when you return the items. 

So for those real world reasons, and because I'm pretty sure that you cannot realistically insure these items for the intended purpose, I'm afraid I won't be investing and I'm out. ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Barnezy said:

If you can rent a car, I can't see why you couldn't rent a guitar.

Insured how? For what circumstances and by who? 

I guarantee you are not insured if you send a guitar to someone temporarily for money. They would view that as a business venture, which unless strictly specified and paid for, which would be relatively expensive would leave you uninsured and would be financially pointless and wouldn't leave you with whatever profit you've worked out. 

You would also be letting someone else who is not covered by your insurance take possession of it, which means you are not taking responsibility for it which means again, not insured. 

Also you generally need proof of purchase or a valuation receipt, or some kind of proof that you own something to get insurance on something, so again, it's not insured. 

Any other attempt to get round this when you have an issue like pretending you had it all along, or do own it when you don't, or blaming it on the courier would be insurance fraud and I'm not messing around with that and I can't imagine lots of others would either. So you'd end up with someone snapping the neck of a £2000 guitar and sending it back and denying it, or refusing to pay for it which would result in a massive shit storm. 

You would need a tailor made agreement with an insurance company set up to cover every instrument, or a company that owns them. I doubt you could realistically do it as an individual.

Also, the owner cares when their product gets buckle rash and I guarantee people will get pissed when (if) they get it back and it's all fucked up. That's why you put a credit card down as a deposit on a car and pay shit loads when you scratch or dent it. If you rent instruments from a musical supplier it's the same thing. Big deposit or credit card on file, expensive temporary insurance and severe scrutiny when you return the items. 

So for those real world reasons, and because I'm pretty sure that you cannot realistically insure these items for the intended purpose, I'm afraid I won't be investing and I'm out. ;) 
    The whole point is this is a business. The business owns the guitars. Not suggesting people share there own guitars under house insurance. :)