Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alcohol and playing

What's Hot
Sensitive subject so I'm stating up front, I'm taking about two beers, not shitfaced.

I notice a difference between playing with and without alcohol. My hands just work better after two beers. This is at home, no gigging pressure, etc.

Before those two drinks I struggle to play single note stuff at speed, even having done some arm and hand stretching exercises.  My fingers feel stiff and awkward. 

After two beers it's totally different, my fingers seem to just move as I want them to.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can achieve that without alcohol?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Have you got recorded evidence of this difference? You might be surprised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    Have you got recorded evidence of this difference? You might be surprised.
    My thoughts exactly.

In a live situation, I can imagine it might help with stage-freight up to a point - but can’t see it helping at all when nerves aren’t a factor.
  • I always used to feel like this when I went bowling. A couple of beers in and I'd be more relaxed, all was good... it was a very small window until it all went to shit though... as @prlgmnr says though, have you recorded it? It could be that your hands are more relaxed so you feel like you're playing better, but actually you're not.

I'd suggest that the best way to get to that loose feeling without alcohol is to practice, make sure you're totally comfortable with what you're playing, make sure you're physically comfortable (do you need a footstool/different chair/longer or shorter strap)... my final point was going to be to learn some relaxation techniques, but thinking about it that's probably more of a gigging thing than playing at home...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Jack Daniels .Two doubles .I can face anything  after that even believing I can sing .
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, get your guitar on its stand, put your head on it, then run around it for a few minutes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    edited February 2020
    I record people all the time- alcohol almost never makes it better.
    Musicians are usually rubbish at assessing their own playing too, because they conflate how they felt playing with how it sounded.

What alcohol does is relax a musician and make then feel better about their playing- that's doesn't make the playing better, I've often found it does the opposite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • I quit the ale 4 weeks ago. Zero effect on my playing. The difference is in your head. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • I just like combining my two favourite pastimes.

The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I'm even worse after a few than sober. How professionals do it high as a kite I find amazing.
  • I can't play guitar after a drink, I literally can't remember how to play.  I always gig sober. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    You have to ask yourself whether the alcohol inproves your playing or lowers your standards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • I work on the Theory that the Punters are definitely more pissed than I am and that'll balance out the perception :)

I used to have about 3.5 pints of pissy Lager from beginning to end of Gig if you want stats. We always went down well and got re-booked. I don't think it affected me to any detrimental level. I suppose people have to gauge these things themselves.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    gringopig said:
    King85 said:
    I'm even worse after a few than sober. How professionals do it high as a kite I find amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBV-FYy8lww

I reckon Johnny thought he was pretty slick at the time but......er
    Looks more like hes ate a couple of wraps of whizz lol...
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2020
    If alcohol improves your judgement and coordination in your driving how can it fail to improve your judgement and coordination in your playing? 
    Because we all know that elite racing drivers like a couple of pints before they race; ballerinas obviously like a tipple to dance better (like anyone does down a club on a Saturday night), and elite Olympians only ever get a world record after they've been down the pub.

EDIT:  Just to state the bleedin' obvious:  alcohol has certain effects, well known, but improving co-ordination and performance isn't part of the package.  However, misjudging the effect that alcohol is having on executive control is absolutely par for course. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Darts players in the 80s ?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    JAYJO said:
    gringopig said:
    King85 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBV-FYy8lww

I reckon Johnny thought he was pretty slick at the time but......er
    Looks more like hes ate a couple of wraps of whizz lol...
    Jesus that's stressing me out
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Personally I find about 3 beers is the sweet spot for me, the most complicated piece I ever recorded was after 3 beers and it was a better take than the no beers were. Maybe it's because it relaxes and focus's. 
    Playing live I tend to really cane the beer, typically 7 or 8 Stellas a gig but I can still play OK these days. When I used to do that when I was young though the playing used  to really suffer 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    My best playing comes from that nervous adrenalin that you only get from being too clear headed and focused in those moments before the first note (and torturing yourself! ha!). Couldn't imagine having a drink before going on and losing that.