Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alcohol and playing

What's Hot

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Sassafras said:
     I had an unfortunate incident when I was pissed in a club in Guildford, I made an absolute idiot of myself. I shall have to live with the guilt and shame for the rest of my life.
    You don't have to, I found divorce works well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I usually take a tab of Acid when i gig. ;) 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Darts players in the 80s ?
    It didn’t stop in the 80s. A lot of pros still drink beforehand to get to the ‘sweetspot’ - they just don’t take it on stage anymore.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    The key is not to let the drummer have any alcohol. Not a single drop. Learnt from experience.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    When I used to gig, I found it difficult to get the balance right with alcohol.
    I needed a couple of beers beforehand to combat the nerves, but then I'd need a couple more through the gig and I couldn't play for shit once I was pissed. Nobody seemed to notice but I sure did.

I only really play at home these days. My playing seems to get a bit better after a couple of drinks but that'll be because I've warmed up in the time it's taken to drink them. But then a few drinks more and Mr Spanglehands makes his appearance, as usual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are none of you driving to your gigs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Are none of you driving to your gigs?
    For most of my gigs I get picked up and have the first beer in the van before I even get to the gig :)   If I'm driving I'll just have a couple 
    Drinking and playing tends to develop over a lot of gigs over many years. If you only gig a few times a month then a few beers might affect your playing but after 20 years and thousands of gigs you have to drink quite a bit before it's really noticeable. Like anything there's a sweet spot so it needs a bit of discipline. Our bass player did 13 pints at one gig and he was  pretty hammered to the point it was really noticeable so there were words about that :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2020
    I was going to read this thread..but then I decided it was just small beer and I didn't mind a tot what rum things folk got up to. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    No, not any more if I can avoid it. I'm playing bass in venues which have a house PA and usually provided backline, so I take my bass, a couple of pedals and cables in a decent gig bag and go on the bus.

I'd do the same for guitar now probably. In the past when I took my own amp I would limit myself to two beers, one at the start and one in the middle, and reckon I was OK... but I don't drink at all if I'm driving now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    In my early 20s I was fired from a very promising band for being consistently shit faced on stage. It was a wake up call, I have never played drunk since. I realised It had turned me into not only a bad player, but a right twat in front of many hundreds of people. I think that was a big growing up thing for me.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    ICBM said:
    No, not any more if I can avoid it. I'm playing bass in venues which have a house PA and usually provided backline, so I take my bass, a couple of pedals and cables in a decent gig bag and go on the bus.

I'd do the same for guitar now probably. In the past when I took my own amp I would limit myself to two beers, one at the start and one in the middle, and reckon I was OK... but I don't drink at all if I'm driving now.
    I've ridden a motorcycle to bass gigs/rehearsals.
    A bass in a soft case on my back and a DI in the top box.
    If there is no backline then I just DI and ask for foldback.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8787
    Bollocks to that.

Chauffeur-driven stretch limo, doing vast quantities of blow with strippers \m/
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• There's a big distinction between a few beers and getting pissed.

I have a couple of beers sometimes over about 4 hours and I find it can get me in the groove.  
    I'm not shredding so the height of technical mastery is not required, they are known well rehearsed parts or
    Improvising.  I can play without beers but I find a couple go down well with playing some music.

prlgmnr said:
    Have you got recorded evidence of this difference? You might be surprised.
    As long as the audience don't start analysing I think he's alright.  There more likely to remember how into it he was rather than the accuracy of the playing.

Now being pissed on stage is a different matter.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8787
    I usually take a tab of Acid when i gig. ;) 
    Ever seen the footage of Santana playing Woodstock? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2248
    One should, at all times, comply with Mitchell and Webb's edict....

Always have slightly less than two drinks....

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2020
    I once played Junction 7 in Nottingham when they had an offer on Erdinger Wheat Beer. I’d had three by sound check and no dinner. Bt the time I hit the stage at 9:15pm I was “well oiled”. But I didn’t notice the effects of the booze until the sixth song in. When I looked down at my board and saw 26 LED’s on it, instead of the usual 12.  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2 said:
    I once played Junction 7 in Nottingham when they had an offer on Erdinger Wheat Beer. I’d had three by sound check and no dinner. Bt the time I hit the stage at 9:15pm I was “well oiled”. But I didn’t notice the effects of the booze until the sixth song in. When I looked down at my board and saw 26 LED’s on it, instead of the usual 12.  
    Reminds me of a story Gary Moore once told about swearing off alcohol until after the gig.  

In his late teens he'd get oiled up before the gig until one night on stage when he reached out to pick up his (only) guitar and saw four of them in front of him, and he couldn't pick up any of them.  Bloody hell...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    jeztone2 said:
    That's when I knew it was time to give up the bevvy - I also looked down during a gig and saw 26 LED's on the fretboard.

Turned out I didn't even have a guitar, I was at a 24 hour Tesco.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I remember being so pissed on my 22nd birthday they turned me off at the desk an put a bag over my head. They told me at one point I was playing a completely different song to the rest of the band . That experience put me off drinking for a while while gigging but you soon forget and the bad habits creep back in :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Alnico said:
    Don’t have 9 bottles of Newcastle Brown and then get on stage and play ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ in E major instead of E minor, because you’re too pissed to notice how much you’re panicking. 

It sounds like an angry hippie got left in charge of children’s tv. 

Trust me. 
    Don’t do it. 

Sounds like a dare to me mate...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...