Parlor Guitar Help - Yamaha, Alvarez, Fender??

What's Hot
simey83simey83 Frets: 13
edited February 2020 in Acoustics
Hi Guys,
I am after a parlor guitar (always wanted one), and have narrowed it down to these two. The are both all solid bodies;

Yamaha CSF3M  --  Sitka spruce top and mahogany body. Neck joins at 14th fret. Comes in tobacco as well.

Alvarez MPA66SHB  --  
Solid African Mahogany top, back, and sides, this has real bone nut and sadle too, and I love the vintage slotted headstock. Neck joins at 12th fret.

I can have them new for around the same money £450 give or take, and I am leaning towards the Alvarez at the moment.

Does anyone have experience with any of these two, or should I be considering any others? I cant really see any more solid guitars in the price range. Or does it really make a difference having an all solid body in a guitar this size?

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks
Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simey83simey83 Frets: 13
    edited February 2020
    This looks good too. All solid Mahogany;

Fender Paramount PM-2

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I can't speak for the Yamaha but I had an Alvarez MPA66SHB. It is a nice guitar if you are happy with the all-Mahogany sound. I just hate the bridge design though - it looks so unhappy and angry  hanging on the wall  You should be aware that the Alvarez has a short scale length (610mm).

It is going up a bit  in price but the Blueridge historic parlour series are worth a look. The base all-sold spruce / mahogany BR-341 which I've had performed as well as any Martin I've played. It has a wider 1 7/8" nut width (630mm scale).
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Couple of thoughts. 
    Have you tried these or going off spec?

There is a big difference in tone from a hog and spruce top, 
    That Yamaha appears to have a very short scale and very narrow nut width 

What sounds or vibes are you after?
     I own a lot of mod budget 0-00 size guitars and in my experience the difference between solid and laminate body’s at this price is not as important as other factors. 
    Assuming you won’t be doing much strumming on a small guitar think carefully about the neck width

Eastman, we bang on about these a lot on here but they are superb. 

Sigma, again great and they copy all the classics from Gibson and Martin 

Gretsch Roots series are surprisingly good and look awesome. The style 1, 2 and 3

Recording king do solid body stuff and are good. I have a Nick Lucas 00 and it’s a favourite 

Faith. Again, well thought of here. I have one and for me it sounds a bit generic, uninspiring but cannot deny the build quality 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simey83simey83 Frets: 13
    edited February 2020
    Appreciate all the info guys. TBH I am after a small body guitar to have "hanging" around, to pickup and play - to get me back into the acoustic guitar. All my others are up in cases, and too big to have laying around. I just thought an all solid would be "better". Yes finger picking mostly, with the odd strum. 

@GTC - Yes I looked at the Blueridge, but I think it's too expensive right now for me. 

@Andy79 - thanks for all the help. I will check those out. Eastman intrigues me.... Just seen the prices :(

Thanks
    Simon
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited February 2020
    Might be worth having a look at the Art and Lutherie (Godin, Seagull) Roadhouse parlour. Not all solid, but the back and sides are a three layer cherry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Another slightly more expensive option would be a Sheeran by Lowden W01. It is a terrific parlour-sized guitar, but be aware that the nut width is 43.5mm and not 1 3/4" as advertised by Lowden. It retails at £595 and comes with a very nice padded gig bag. It also has a 610mm scale length.

I'll be selling my shortly but that is only because I was expecting the normal Lowden nut width of 45mm when I ordered of spec. I liked the shape, size and feel so much though that I splashed out on a one-year old Wee Lowden - hence the impending sale of the Sheeran. It does have laminated back and sides - and, I should add, mine is converted to left-handed. I would rate overall tone and playability better than that of the Alvarez. - with that characteristic, complex Lowden sound.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited February 2020
    Have you tried a Taylor grand concert body size? (Models ending in 2, ie 312, 322). They’re not as small as traditional parlour guitars but still pretty dinky and a very comfortable ‘sit on the sofa’ size. 

I’ve just picked up a Taylor Academy 12 for £450 brand new, which is their entry level, no frills model and I’m absolutely blown away by the quality of it. It also has an armrest bevel which really adds to the comfort when you’re sitting around noodling and normally is reserved for much more expensive guitars. 

If you can get over the ‘laminate’ mental block it’s seriously, seriously impressive for the money and completely blows away several other brand solid guitars I’ve played. 

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/academy-12

Worth mentioning also that from my own experience of playing nice looking Alvarez/Fender guitars that looked good on paper, the Taylor build quality and playability is considerably ahead at a similar price point. 
  • Amazing guys, thanks so much. Lots of food for thought. 

@GTC That must have annoyed you!!! I have a couple of Avalon guitars, love them!!!

Cheers
    simey83 said:

@GTC That must have annoyed you!!! I have a couple of Avalon guitars, love them!!!

More annoying that Lowden still haven't changed the spec on the Sheeran website four weeks after agreeing to do so! I also have a custom Avalon S (redwood / bog oak) - amazing guitar! (as is my new Wee Lowden WL-22)
  • GTC said:
    simey83 said:

More annoying that Lowden still haven't changed the spec on the Sheeran website four weeks after agreeing to do so! I also have a custom Avalon S (redwood / bog oak) - amazing guitar! (as is my new Wee Lowden WL-22)
    Aww mate, I bet that WL-22 is just stunning!!! 
  • GTC said:
    I can't speak for the Yamaha but I had an Alvarez MPA66SHB. It is a nice guitar if you are happy with the all-Mahogany sound. I just hate the bridge design though - it looks so unhappy and angry  hanging on the wall  You should be aware that the Alvarez has a short scale length (610mm).

It is going up a bit  in price but the Blueridge historic parlour series are worth a look. The base all-sold spruce / mahogany BR-341 which I've had performed as well as any Martin I've played. It has a wider 1 7/8" nut width (630mm scale).
    Hi Mate,
    what do you like/dislike about the Alvarez, apart from the daft bridge? Good tone for picking and the odd strum. Don’t think I’ve every had an all mahogany guitar. 

Cheers 
    simey83 said:
    what do you like/dislike about the Alvarez, apart from the daft bridge? Good tone for picking and the odd strum. Don’t think I’ve every had an all mahogany guitar. 

Cheers 
    Likes - well made(like all of the Alvarez Masterworks series), plays nicely: Dislikes (apart from the bridge): tone surprisingly a bit flat and characterless, the colour of the pao ferro fretboard.

I have a Sigma 00M-15s that could be for sale if you’re interested 
  • Andy79 said:
    I have a Sigma 00M-15s that could be for sale if you’re interested 
    Hi Mate, might be interested. Not sure if you can post tho? I’m over in N.Iteland. 

I need to stop overthinking and buy something. 

Cheers 
    Certainly don’t wanna turn this into a jumble sale thread but if you’re interested get in touch. 

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Have you tried a tanglewood tw133 - I've had one for years and its brilliant, all solid hog and cheap second hand. Think they are discontinued? Look great too, slotted headstock and simple MOP 'T' inlay. Its my general 'sofa noodler'.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18379
    edited February 2020
     Cort L 900 or 1200 parlour's are really (really) worth a consideration.
    Edit P.S.  Cort made Tanglewood & many other brands for years  ;)
  • I have a Faith Naked Mercury & love it. I’ve had it about 5 years now and it’s ageing beautifully- the body is darkening and it sounds great. 
  • GTC said:
    simey83 said:

Cheers 
    Likes - well made(like all of the Alvarez Masterworks series), plays nicely: Dislikes (apart from the bridge): tone surprisingly a bit flat and characterless, the colour of the pao ferro fretboard.

I tried the Alvarez parlour years ago and found it to be tonally dead with the sonic dynamics of wet cardboard.
    Clearly, it wasn't a one off from what you are saying.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    GTC said:
    simey83 said:

Cheers 

I tried the Alvarez parlour years ago and found it to be tonally dead with the sonic dynamics of wet cardboard.
    Clearly, it wasn't a one off from what you are saying.
    Same experience here of an Alvarez. Loved the look of it on paper but couldn’t put it down fast enough when I played it. 

Spent another evening last night with the Academy 12 and am still blown away. I’ve played £3k guitars that sounded much worse. What they’ve done in a guitar that costs £450 brand new is incredible.