Epiphone 2020 Les Pauls

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
edited February 2020 in Guitar
So I'm hearing good things about these. As good as a Gibson?

What say the people who've bought / tried one already?

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI8IH60/Les-Paul-Standard-50s/Metallic-Gold
https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPINA3562/Les-Paul-Standard-60s/Bourbon-Burst
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’ll be all over a 54/56 RI LP if they get round to it
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited February 2020
    Not as good as a Gibson or an MIJ copy but not bad from those I’ve played which was a few of the SGs, the LP special and the LP Custom. They were banging on about them having rolled fretboard edges a lot but the ones I played felt pretty hard edged. The finish just feels a bit cheap and the frets felt rough like they needed a good dress & polish, compared to Gibson and even PRS SE which felt perfect. These were the floor models at NAMM though so maybe they had a hard life over those few days!

I would like to try the 50s standard though, and also the Classic Worn Ebony - more so the worn one as the finish might feel nicer than the plasticky poly they use. The lower price would also make me feel better about ripping out all the electronics and putting some nice Oil City pickups and CTS wiring harness in there
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some of the range looks very nice. The Junior especially.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2020
    I saw the a black LP Custom yesterday in GAK and it looked fantastic. The new headstock works really well and I didn't realise this model sported an ebony fingerboard.

I'm really tempted by this one and it was £569 new and want to pimp it to look like Brian Robertson's LP Custom on the Live & Dangerous album. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a few I'd buy brand new. The rest I'd wait to go second hand.
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Kebabkid said:
    I saw the a black LP Custom yesterday in GAK and it looked fantastic. The new headstock really works well and I didn't realise this model sported an ebony fingerboard.

I'm really tempted by this one and it was £569 new
    treble pick up jobby???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TTBZ said:
    Not as good as a Gibson or an MIJ copy but not bad from those I’ve played which was a few of the SGs, the LP special and the LP Custom. They were banging on about them having rolled fretboard edges a lot but the ones I played felt pretty hard edged. The finish just feels a bit cheap and the frets felt rough like they needed a good dress & polish, compared to Gibson and even PRS SE which felt perfect. These were the floor models at NAMM though so maybe they had a hard life over those few days!

I would like to try the 50s standard though, and also the Classic Worn Ebony - more so the worn one as the finish might feel nicer than the plasticky poly they use. The lower price would also make me feel better about ripping out all the electronics and putting some nice Oil City pickups and CTS wiring harness in there
    You would imagine those NAMM Floor models world have been set up to within an inch of their lives though no??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • But. What the hell is up with those veneers on the new SG’s? 
    Source: Andertons YouTube video on the new Epi SG’s. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    But. What the hell is up with those veneers on the new SG’s? 
    Source: Andertons YouTube video on the new Epi SG’s. 
    They've been like that for a while. Sometimes you see them on the back of LPs and on the "korina" Vs and Explorers. Basically, they're using multipiece bodies that won't look good so they get a ridiculously over-figured mahogany veneer to hide it. But then of course the veneer can't follow the bevel/carve on an SG and looks ridiculous. 
    Tim
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2020
    tony99 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    I saw the a black LP Custom yesterday in GAK and it looked fantastic. The new headstock really works well and I didn't realise this model sported an ebony fingerboard.

I'm really tempted by this one and it was £569 new
    treble pick up jobby???
    No, standard 2 HBs LP Custom, not a Black Beauty
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2020
    I think the worn SG classics have escaped the veneer treatment, as far as I can tell from pictures anyway. I fancy an SG, if I was going for a standard though it would have to be black, the veneer just looks awful
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I think the worn SG classics have escaped the veneer treatment, as far as I can tell from pictures anyway. I fancy an SG, if I was going for a standard though it would have to be black, the veneer just looks awful
    Agreed....

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited February 2020
    I am tempted by the Epiphone 2020 LP in Iced Tea. 

However, I need to play them to check if I prefer the thicker 50s neck, or the slimmer 60s neck.

Right. . . start saving until August!!!  

See the Andertons comparison test with the Gibson LP Standard:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvkitQNz-Y

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited February 2020
    TTBZ said:

You would imagine those NAMM Floor models world have been set up to within an inch of their lives though no??
    Well you’d hope so. But then they’ve also spent all weekend out being poked and prodded by hamfisted idiots like myself. Tbh my overall impression of them was that they were fine but nothing special - in the end I decided if I want a new cheaper Les Paul I’ll just get an old headstock Epiphone Custom off eBay for under £200. The feel wasn’t that much different.
  • rocktron said:
    I am tempted by the Epiphone 2020 LP in Iced Tea. 

However, I need to play them to check if I prefer the thicker 50s neck, or the slimmer 60s neck.

Right. . . start saving until August!!!  

See the Andertons comparison test with the Gibson LP Standard:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvkitQNz-Y

I like the 60s slim taper myself