Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why be in a cover band?

What's Hot
Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
Since I've written 2 books in which you could be forgiven for thinking I just contantly ridiculy cover bands I felt it was time to write something about my actual ever-abiding love for them

It's here and contains plenty of video evidence of me playing in various covery situations

TLDR: Cover bands are amazing and neccessary and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8679
    Hands up who recognised themselves?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Because it's more fun playing classic songs to a bunch of people who know them, than your own stuff to blank faces and half-empty rooms. Learned the hard way by experience!

It doesn't mean you can't play covers just the same as you would if they were originals - we don't always play the same arrangements or structures, often not even the same instrumental parts, and we have a female singer but mostly play songs that were originally sung by men... none of it matters as long as the audience recognise the song and you play it well.

We also only play a specific style of songs. I have absolutely no interest in traditional note-for-note top-forty covers bands at all, either as a player or a listener. I probably wouldn't even stay in a bar where one was playing unless I was there for another reason. But each to their own, if you want to do that then it's all good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393

Most people I know who play in covers bands also write and record their own music. Sometimes this stuff is played alongside covers sometimes it's kept uncover. I started out in original bands, got quite good at learning songs by ear (no tab or youtube back then) and found cover work to be easy money. Had some amazing times over the years. 

Basically though most people I know have a love of playing music ... be that covers or originals. But if I'm honest there's also the element of sport about it .... there's a little bit of smug self satisfaction of being about to do it just a little bit better than most other covers bands simply cos the shear amount of practice put in over many, many years ...  when really should have been doing other things ... like watching the kids grow up and working a real job paying into a pension. ;)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    ICBM said:
    Because it's more fun playing classic songs to a bunch of people who know them, than your own stuff to blank faces and half-empty rooms. Learned the hard way by experience!

It doesn't mean you can't play covers just the same as you would if they were originals - we don't always play the same arrangements or structures, often not even the same instrumental parts, and we have a female singer but mostly play songs that were originally sung by men... none of it matters as long as the audience recognise the song and you play it well.

We also only play a specific style of songs. I have absolutely no interest in traditional note-for-note top-forty covers bands at all, either as a player or a listener. I probably wouldn't even stay in a bar where one was playing unless I was there for another reason. But each to their own, if you want to do that then it's all good.

Yep, familiarity is the key.

I've loved my years of playing original material but it's hard work and the simple fact is that the majority of audiences want to hear stuff they know.  That's also why there's so much common material amongst cover bands and why my local commercial radio station, which my wife insists on listening to in the morning (Scouse Git FM or some such station), seems to survive despite apparantly only owning about 6 records.

I still write and record my own stuff but I have the good grace to keep it to myself.  Listening to some of the stuff out there a few others might be well advised to do similar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Musicwolf said:

Yep, familiarity is the key.

I've loved my years of playing original material but it's hard work and the simple fact is that the majority of audiences want to hear stuff they know.  That's also why there's so much common material amongst cover bands and why my local commercial radio station, which my wife insists on listening to in the morning (Scouse Git FM or some such station), seems to survive despite apparantly only owning about 6 records.
    True up to a point, but it does depress me that there seem to be about a dozen songs that "all cover bands play" (I don't need to list them, you all know which they are ;) ) and thus bands seem to be expected to... I won't, because there are thousands other great songs that most of the punters will know as well, so why do the same thing as every other band? Unless you're going to totally rip up the arrangement and do something completely different with it, which can be quite amusing as well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed reading this, I got it in my email this morning . I am So looking forward to reading the books after I finish the Steve lukather one I got for Xmas. If Daves writing is half as good as the piece he wrote in his blog I will be hooked .  I wonder if Dave has ever read ,like a rolling stone by Steve kurutz . It’s about the strange life of being in a Rolling Stones tribute band 
  • I enjoyed reading this, I got it in my email this morning . I am So looking forward to reading the books after I finish the Steve lukather one I got for Xmas. If Daves writing is half as good as the piece he wrote in his blog I will be hooked .  I wonder if Dave has ever read ,like a rolling stone by Steve kurutz . It’s about the strange life of being in a Rolling Stones tribute band 

I have not, sounds right up my street

Putting it on my list, ta.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31462
    I'll have a read later, sounds good.
    I do exclusively original work in my studio (though not often my own), and I'm in a covers band because if I wasn't I'd have to get a real job, and nobody needs that shit in their lives. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been very lucky. Did all my "playing to empty rooms to crowds who don't care" before I was 25. Despite not making very much money with my music, I'm so glad I did it the way I have done it.

Getting stuff like this from a friend (who was originally a fan of the band, and we became friends) really hits home how powerful music can be.

It humbles me (makes a change!) to be able to have that kind of impact, even if it is only on one person.

Maybe one day I'll do the cover band thing. But I've sorta relegated that to something to do when I retire type of deal.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31462
    Wis'd @WiresDreamDisasters , I always knew I was saving the covers thing until I got older, but actually it was thrust on me earlier than planned by a series of redundancies. 

I have let my involvement in original music slide over the last four years or so, but having revamped my studio for a couple of paying clients at the end of last year I'm now in two original bands and have spent the last couple of weeks recording an album with a songwriter. 

So there's definitely room in my life for both, in fact it's essential for me so that I don't get disillusioned by either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Wis'd @WiresDreamDisasters , I always knew I was saving the covers thing until I got older, but actually it was thrust on me earlier than planned by a series of redundancies. 

I have let my involvement in original music slide over the last four years or so, but having revamped my studio for a couple of paying clients at the end of last year I'm now in two original bands and have spent the last couple of weeks recording an album with a songwriter. 

So there's definitely room in my life for both, in fact it's essential for me so that I don't get disillusioned by either. 
    Yeah awesome. I don't mind a good covers band, just waiting until it's extremely clear that my tech career is dead and my band is going nowhere.

so... bout two weeks then! :lol:

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How have I spent today? Fridays currently consist of a 3 hour Band Rehearsal in the morning ( we play covers, but create our own way of doing the songs). An hour and a bit to get my gear home and unload it, make lunch, check the cat's happy, and then off to my afternoon's treat of 1 and 1/2 hours' Singing Class. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677
    I wish I was in a cover band. In fairness I just wish I was in a band. 

Someone let me be in their band!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I've done a mix of originals and tribute gigs over the last few years.

The originals tend to be closer to my own taste in music, and I get a more emotional buzz from playing those when the bands are sounding good, even when to few people in the audience.

The tribute stuff is fun in a different way, particularly 2nd set when the audience is more pissed and the bigger songs come out. Plus the money is handy for GAS.
  • I reckon Im too old to start a new originals band from scratch. Thinking if ym current band folds its likely I'll try to form a tribute band playing something like tool, blue oyster cult, coheed and cambria etc. you know so Im still playing high quality music to empty rooms so I dont feel like Ive sold out.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10171
    People don't dance to originals bands unless they know the songs, and most originals bands are flash in the pan, gone before they've done anything. The truth is they want to dance to Mr. Brightside and the Proclaimers and all that stuff, so why not give it to them? It's fun and you get paid so why not? :)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    edited February 2020
    Time for me to roll out the Musician's Triangle again.

Artistic Merit
    /\ / \ / \ / \ Enjoyment £££
    Every musician is somewhere in the triangle.

It doesn't matter where you are, as long as you are happy with it.

For some people, playing Mr. Brightside and Proud Mary every gig would be anathema, but some may make a living from it, and others may love it.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10171
    Time for me to roll out the Musician's Triangle again.

Artistic Merit

It doesn't matter where you are, as long as you are happy with it.

For some people, playing Mr. Brightside and Proud Mary every gig would be anathema, but some may make a living from it, and others may love it.

R.
    And the truth is, lots of bands play it wrong, the simple way and it doesn't sound as good. Play it properly and you might enjoy it more! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. It's great writing and playing originals. I was even in a band that played gigs!

Recruitment and rehearsals are a chore. Getting gigs is a pain in the ass!

Everything can be much easier with cover bands.... until you realise two-piece and particularly DJs get most of the gigs!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Really enjoyed that blog post

Artistic Merit
    This is very succint and yes it's totally down to the individual
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom